23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 1:33 PM by A.T. Romano

I try to edit a video clip

Swingin59

Then it tells me I need to download Photoshop elements, well I already have it installed, it takes me to the download screen with the giant download, 1.6 something Gigs. Is there a separate file I need to download to use the video edit option? Thanks, Don.

By the way I have QuickTime installed if it matters.

• 1. Re: I try to edit a video clip
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Do want or need - the photo editor Photoshop Elements 13 or video editor Premiere Elements 13 or both? These are stand alone products, each coming with the Elements Organizer 13. When they are installed on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer 13.

1. What computer operating system is involved? Include whether 32 or 64 bit.

2. What do you presently have installed on that computer - Photoshop Elements (what version), Premiere Elements (what version)?

And, are they tryouts or purchased?

To verify what your status is - if Windows, go to Control Panel / Installed programs and determine if you find Adobe Photoshop Elements there (if so, what version) and/or Adobe Premiere Elements (if so, what version).

With that information, we can decide what needs to be installed, uninstalled, or other appropriate action to meet your video editing goal.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: I try to edit a video clip
            Swingin59 Level 1

Win 7 64 bit. I think it's just the elements 13. It was a trial version, I bought the disk but don't have it yet. I decided to delete it until I can install by disk, but would still like to know if they are separate downloads.

Thanks for the reply.

• 3. Re: I try to edit a video clip
              Swingin59 Level 1

Photoshop elements 13 is what I had.

• 4. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Swingin59

If you purchased the Photoshop Elements 13 Premiere Elements 13 box packaging, you will get two installation discs...one for Windows and the Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 install (these are two separate installs from that same disc)...the other disc is for Mac and Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 (again these are two separate installs from the same Mac disc). In the Control Panel/Installed programs, there will be an entry for Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 and another entry for Adobe Premiere elements 13.

If you were to download these two programs, they are two separate programs with a separate download and install for each. Each will have its own purchased serial number (usually found on a label on the inner box packaging.

You do not have to uninstall either of the tryout programs if you have a successful tryout going for these tryouts. When a tryout session begins, instead of clicking Continue Trial, click instead License This Product and follow the screen directions for inserting right purchased serial number from the box packaging.

Please let us know if the above targeted your question. If not, please get more details where it did not, and I will supply additional information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                  Swingin59 Level 1

I just bought the Photoshop elements 13, no other program purchased. I was following the video tutorials on editing movies but mine didn't work. That's when it took me to the 1.67Gig download, it said it was Photoshop elements so I didn't bother doing another download.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Swingin59

Thanks for the follow up.

When you are in the Adobe area for downloading tryouts, it may be set to download a program that you do not want. If you have not, please double check the program that is about to be downloaded. You may have to scroll to the Adobe Premiere Elements 13 listing, the video editor program choice.

Please let me know if you are OK to move forward with your planned video editing project in Premiere Elements 13.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                      Swingin59 Level 1

Thanks again, I am going to try to cancel the first order and then get this.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 & Premiere Elements 13

I take it it would be a better choice for me?

• 8. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Swingin59

Thanks for the update.

Just some things to think about...

1. If you buy Photoshop Elements 13/Premiere Elements 13 bundle it is going to cost less than buying the program individually.

2. If you buy the programs as an downloads from Adobe, you get installation files for each that are specific for the type of computer operating system that you have...for example Windows versus Mac. Adobe only sells the download. If you purchase the box packaging of the bundle from an authorized reseller, you get two installation discs, one for Windows and one for Mac.

3. With the Adobe download purchase typically you can ask for a refund/return within 30 days of purchase. If you purchase the products from an authorized reseller, then you are governed by the return/refund policy of the seller.

The bundle purchase is good for those features where integration of the programs (same version) is needed, including Elements Organizer 13 which the two program share in that arrangement.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                          Swingin59 Level 1

Thanks for all your help, I think I'm going in the right direction now..

• 10. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Swingin59

Thanks for the reply.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions as they come up.

Best wishes for whatever your video editing decision is..

ATR

• 11. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                              Swingin59 Level 1

One last question, can I delete the Akamai netsession from add and remove? Or do I need it for updates or something else? I like to keep my computer as clean as possible, Thanks again, Don.

Also, this time when I downloaded the elements it also downloaded the creative cloud, I don't want to pay for this service so I just deleted it. Is it all good?

• 12. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

I think that the Akamai NetSession Interface can be deleted in installed programs. You may not need it again for downloading Adobe products especially since Adobe may use another software in its place for whatever Adobe product you download next (sometimes called the Adobe Download Assistant). If Akamai is ever needed, then just download it (which should be the latest version) according to the on screen instructions during installation of the Adobe product.

As for Creative Cloud and if you do not have any Creative Cloud applications at this time

Adobe Creative Cloud desktop apps | Adobe Creative Cloud,

I think that this one can be deleted. You can double check on this one in the Adobe Creative Cloud Forum.

Adobe Creative Cloud

But, I am not seeing any rationale for its use if you do not have any Creative Cloud applications.

ATR

• 13. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                  Swingin59 Level 1

Thanks much! Appreciate the help..

• 14. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                    Swingin59 Level 1

I have another question on Elements 13. Why can't you save a jpg photo in original size to your computer? I don't belong to any social media sites, and have no intention to start. I need to be able to post images on my astronomy websites. Is this possible? So far all my saved images are tiny, as in can not be blown up without pix-elation happening.?.?.?

• 15. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Swingin59

From the above, you have Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 on Window 7 64 bit.

You can save the original jpg from the camera to your computer and import it into Photoshop Elements, edit it, and save the edited photo.

Photoshop Elements 13 is the photo editor in the combo of Photoshop Elements 13 Premiere Elements 13. If you have low resolution photos, they are going to get pixelated in Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements depending on the extent of scaling up.

If you want to capture and export a frame from your Premiere Elements 13 Timeline video to the hard drive, you can use Publish+Share/Computer/Image to get a jpeg file saved to the computer hard drive. Under the Advanced Button/Video of the preset selected, you can set the width and height in pixels larger than 1920 x 1080 if you want.

I am not sure what you want to do. Please let me know if I have targeted what you seek. If not, please give more details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                        Swingin59 Level 1

First off, thank you again. I don't have Premier Elements, I only have Elements 13. I don't see any advanced save options in it. All the pictures I take are 24.1MB in size from my Nikon DSLR. Thing is, I like the tools you get when opening the DNG. file. But I don't get those tools unless I convert it to DNG first, then after the conversion I can't save it as a large jpg file, plus it only opens with Elements so I can't post it on my astro imaging website, nor can I send it in an Email to friends. Maybe I just have the wrong program??

Thanks again,

Don.

• 17. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

What is the format of the image recorded by your camera and are you are importing the format directly into Photoshop Elements 13? Are you importing raw image format? And, is the raw image file opening in Camera Raw editing workspace?

Does the following Adobe document on Camera Raw and Photoshop Elements apply to your situation?

Photoshop Elements Help | Processing camera raw image files

Please consider and then let us know if we are targeting what you seek.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                            Swingin59 Level 1

Perhaps you can tell me why sometimes I get this screen

DSCN8012.JPG

Then sometimes I get this screen, this screen is the one I like because it has lots better tools. Is there a way to keep these tools?

DSCN8013.JPG

• 19. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                              Swingin59 Level 1

Actually the last session I took pictures I only used jpg fine mode. My camera is a Nikon D5200 that uses raw NEF format. I import to computer using SD card. I haven't tried to import from camera to Elements 13. That link may help, I need to read it carefully. Thanks,

Don.

Update, these last photos were taken with backyard Nikon, them they go directly into my Nikon folder on my desktop.

• 20. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Forget about the NEF raw images for the moment. Let us focus on jpeg photo.

1. You can open Photoshop Elements 13 to its Quick or Expert workspace and use File Menu/Open to browse to and select your jpeg image for editing in the Photoshop Elements Editor. See your first screenshot in post numbered 18.

2. There is another perk for editing the jpeg photo...the jpeg photo can be brought into the Camera Raw dialog workspace to take advantage of the edit opportunities there. To do this you use Photoshop Elements 13 File Menu/Open in Camera Raw. See your second screenshot in post numbered 18. When you are finished with your edits of the jpeg in Camera Raw dialog, you have the choice "Open Image" which will take the photo into the Photoshop Elements Editor workspace of your choice.

Have you done that before?

ATR

• 21. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                                  Swingin59 Level 1

Have not until now, I may have it figured out, thanks to your help. I'm going to work a few of my pics and see if I'm on the right track. Again, Thank you so much!!

Also thanks for the link.. One day I may get this right

• 22. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                                    Swingin59 Level 1

I believe I got it! I love U, . No, seriously though, you made my day! Here is a pic of the milky way I just tweaked.

LIGHT_20s_4000iso_3-5_20150912-20h45m06s101ms.JPG

Thank you AGAIN!

Buy the way, I think it was the (open in camera raw) thing that did the trick.

• 23. Re: I try to edit a video clip
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Swingin59

Looking great.

Glad that you tried the jpeg import using Photoshop Elements 13 File Menu/Open in Camera Raw to take advantage of the editing opportunities there.

Great job.

Best wishes

ATR