2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2015 10:08 PM by johnrellis

meta data

TiggerCWP

My cousin has been scanning hundreds of family album photos using a Mac.  They are saved as JPEGS and then he uses the basic Mac "Command I" to get to the basic meta data and put in names, captions, etc. 

Then they get passed to me to put into lightroom, touch-up, etc.  then up onto a web site. 

Problem is that the meta data he puts in is NOT converting when I upload to Lightroom. 

Short of copy/pasting all of these (I don't wanna) is there a way to get the meta data to each individual photo to follow into Lightroom?  I notice that that time/date info is coming - seems like the rest should as well. 

• 1. Re: meta data
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi TiggerCWP,

You can change and edit the Metadata within Lightroom after the Image import, will that help.

Related Link: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Metadata basics and actions

Let us know if it helps.

~Mohit

• 2. Re: meta data
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
            They are saved as JPEGS and then he uses the basic Mac "Command I" to get to the basic meta data and put in names, captions, etc.

The Finder's Get Info command (Cmd+I) has the capability of adding "tags" and "comments" to any file, including a photo.  These tags and comments are completely unrelated to the keyword tags and captions/titles/comments that photo apps store in industry-standard metadata fields (so-called EXIF/IPTC/XMP metadata). The Finder stores its tags and comments in a Mac-specific proprietary database, not in the files themselves.  Thus, LR (and almost any other photo app) is unable to read the tags and comments added by the Finder.

See this post about a possible way to extract the Finder's tags and comments for use by other programs: Re: OSX to Lightroom 'comment' field carry over?: Mac Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review.  That may allow you, with some effort, to convert the annotations your cousin has added into an industry-standard format that LR can read.