13 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2006 9:29 AM by Newsgroup_User

XHTML & Mac browser: Camino

Level 7
      I previewed my pages in Camino (Mac) and horrors: it's not viewing
      properly. It's as if the entire page is one table on top of another
      (it's a genealogy chart aka org chart).

BTW: IE5.1 in DW8 does launch but will not automatically open the page
      to preview. You have to manually open the file.
        • 1. Re: XHTML & Mac browser: Camino
          Level 7
          I don't have a Mac but I'm not sure what those who do are going to do with
          this post. There's no URL anywhere...

--
          Shane H
          shane@NOSPAMavenuedesigners.com
          http://www.avenuedesigners.com

"Raizel" <raizel@idonotuse.com> wrote in message
          news:e4aq97$a7i$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I previewed my pages in Camino (Mac) and horrors: it's not viewing
          > properly. It's as if the entire page is one table on top of another
          > (it's a genealogy chart aka org chart).
          >
          >
          >
          > BTW: IE5.1 in DW8 does launch but will not automatically open the page
          > to preview. You have to manually open the file.

• 2. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
            Level 7

>I previewed my pages in Camino (Mac) and horrors: it's not viewing
            > properly. It's as if the entire page is one table on top of another
            > (it's a genealogy chart aka org chart).

OK.

Was there a question?

FYI, Camino is a branch of the Mozilla project, so uses the same rendering
            engine as Firefox and Mozilla.

IE5.1 on the Mac is no longer supported or maintained and uses a much older,
            much buggier rendering engine.

So, if your site doesn't look right in Camino, it's probably because your
            HTML and CSS are incorrect.

-Darrel

• 3. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
              Level 7
              In article <e4aqe1$agh$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
              "Shane H" <shane@NOSPAMavenuedesigners.com> wrote:

> I don't have a Mac but I'm not sure what those who do are going to do with
              > this post. There's no URL anywhere...

The problem is it is a password-protected site due to the nature of
              content. I'll upload a snap of a page to an open site.
              • 4. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
                Level 7
                In article <e4aqhb$aju$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                "darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote:

> IE5.1 on the Mac is no longer supported or maintained and uses a much older,
                > much buggier rendering engine.
                >
                > So, if your site doesn't look right in Camino, it's probably because your
                > HTML and CSS are incorrect.
                >
                > -Darrel

IE5 -- yes, it's dead but another post referred to still checking in it
                as even Mac people are known to use older Macs

Main problem is Camino -- thanks, I must have broken something
                somewhere. Will do a validation and see if that helps. The template
                validated so content must be the problem (conversion from a genealogy
                program HTML output to my DW XHTML Template)
                • 5. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
                  Level 7
                  > Here's the code --- there are 45 validation errors. ALL relate to the
                  > PVII portion of the Javascript so I've ignored. The XHTML code, as far
                  > as I can tell, is okay. But it doesn't show up correctly in Camino

Upload the file and then send us a link. It's much easier for us to see
                  what's going on then.

-Darrel

• 6. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
                    Level 7
                    In article <e4cki8$k64$1@forums.macromedia.com>,

> > Here's the code --- there are 45 validation errors. ALL relate to the
                    > > PVII portion of the Javascript so I've ignored. The XHTML code, as far
                    > > as I can tell, is okay. But it doesn't show up correctly in Camino
                    >
                    > Upload the file and then send us a link. It's much easier for us to see
                    > what's going on then.
                    >
                    > -Darrel

http://yum.woodengems.com/2006/Records/webCards/deleteWC.htm

I uploaded to a temp place but for some reason DW didn't upload all the
                    required background files. Shouldn't be a problem, it still doesn't view
                    in Camino. All the boxes are squashed.

XHTML validates except as noted in previous post (45 script errors)
                    CSS validates except for background colours not given

PS: Here's a GREAT reason for using DW to FTP. I didn't have to bother
                    with the hierarchy of the files or what files went with the HTML page!
                    DW did that for me (well, almost).
                    • 7. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
                      Level 7
                      > I uploaded to a temp place but for some reason DW didn't upload all the
                      > required background files. Shouldn't be a problem, it still doesn't view
                      > in Camino. All the boxes are squashed.

Just to clarify, this isn't solely a Camino issue...it's a Mozilla/Gecko
                      issue, so it affects Camino, Firefox, Mozilla, and a variety of other
                      browser.

> XHTML validates except as noted in previous post (45 script errors)
                      > CSS validates except for background colours not given

Remember that validation doesn't mean that the page necessarily renders the
                      way you want it to. Looking at the page, Mozilla is rendering exactly as you
                      asked it to. So it's technically correct. Of course, it's not what you want,
                      so we then need to figure out what the issue it.

Looking at your css, you have this:

font-size: 0.08em;

That's an insanely miniscule type size, don't you think? ;o)

-Darrel

• 8. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
                        Level 7
                        In article <e4fa7c$5r4$1@forums.macromedia.com>,

> > I uploaded to a temp place but for some reason DW didn't upload all the
                        > > required background files. Shouldn't be a problem, it still doesn't view
                        > > in Camino. All the boxes are squashed.
                        >
                        > Just to clarify, this isn't solely a Camino issue...it's a Mozilla/Gecko
                        > issue, so it affects Camino, Firefox, Mozilla, and a variety of other
                        > browser.

Yes, your clarification is correct and I acknowledge. Just happens
                        Camino is my Mozilla choice. But, probably should point out
                        Camino/Mozilla to make it obvious to those not familiar with it.

>
                        > > XHTML validates except as noted in previous post (45 script errors)
                        > > CSS validates except for background colours not given
                        >
                        > Remember that validation doesn't mean that the page necessarily renders the
                        > way you want it to. Looking at the page, Mozilla is rendering exactly as you
                        > asked it to. So it's technically correct. Of course, it's not what you want,
                        > so we then need to figure out what the issue it.

Not sure what you mean "what I asked for". I asked for tables UNDERNEATH
                        each other, not overtop.

>
                        > Looking at your css, you have this:
                        >
                        > font-size: 0.08em;
                        >
                        > That's an insanely miniscule type size, don't you think? ;o)

It's the size Al Sparber used in his tutorial which was the base for my
                        CSS. I left it as is and is okay in Safari, bit smaller in Mozilla. I'm
                        not accustom to ems so am treading carefully.

>
                        > -Darrel
                        • 9. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
                          Level 7
                          > Not sure what you mean "what I asked for". I asked for tables UNDERNEATH
                          > each other, not overtop.

Your HTML and CSS is what you ask for. Camino is going to be more faithful
                          to the spec than any other browser. So, if it looks wrong in Camino, then
                          that means it's your HTML or CSS that is wrong (in most cases).

> It's the size Al Sparber used in his tutorial which was the base for my
                          > CSS. I left it as is and is okay in Safari, bit smaller in Mozilla. I'm
                          > not accustom to ems so am treading carefully.

An em is roughly the size of the capital letter 'M' in whichever font you
                          are using.

.08em would mean you want your text to be 8% the size of the normal font. If
                          the normal font size in your browser is 16pt, then .08em would mean you
                          wanted your type to be 1.25pt tall.

Even on paper, that would be pretty hard to read without a microscope handy.
                          ;o)

-Darrel

• 10. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
                            Level 7
                            In article <e4fqc1$r75$1@forums.macromedia.com>,

> .08em would mean you want your text to be 8% the size of the normal font. If
                            > the normal font size in your browser is 16pt, then .08em would mean you
                            > wanted your type to be 1.25pt tall.
                            >
                            > Even on paper, that would be pretty hard to read without a microscope handy.
                            > ;o)

You may not realize it but your explanation helped me find one of my
                            potential problems by virtue of me asking you to explain your comment

My CSS is * NOT* in ems. It's px -- the td class was mistakenly set in
                            ems, probably because I was jumping between one that was in ems (the
                            PVII one I referred to) and this one. I'll correct and test again.
                            • 11. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
                              Level 7

> My CSS is * NOT* in ems. It's px -- the td class was mistakenly set in
                              > ems, probably because I was jumping between one that was in ems (the
                              > PVII one I referred to) and this one. I'll correct and test again.

Either way, you do NOT want your type set at .08em/px/pt whatever. That's
                              simply to small to render on screen.

By default, I'd say .8em/10px/12pt is about as small as you want to go.

-Darrel

• 12. Re: XHTML &amp; Mac browser: Camino
                                Level 7
                                In article <e4hv24$ki1$1@forums.macromedia.com>,

> > My CSS is * NOT* in ems. It's px -- the td class was mistakenly set in
                                > > ems, probably because I was jumping between one that was in ems (the
                                > > PVII one I referred to) and this one. I'll correct and test again.
                                >
                                > Either way, you do NOT want your type set at .08em/px/pt whatever. That's
                                > simply to small to render on screen.
                                >
                                > By default, I'd say .8em/10px/12pt is about as small as you want to go.
                                >
                                > -Darrel

Darrel:

1. THANKS the page in Mozilla is now correct. To be consistent I set
                                size to 12px as I used px for other statements. I would have never found
                                the problem!!!

2. I got carried away with my decimals. .8em is what is in the other CSS
                                sheets for my other site

3. I've recently started volunteering with an agency for the blind. What
                                I love most is the LARGE TYPE used for all the coordinator's email -- I
                                can see it <LOL!> (No I'm not legally blind but some days.....)