1 2 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 11:26 AM by Ethelwild

Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

aa_lique Level 1

Dear Adobe

I just read a distressing article that Adobe is no longer developing Adobe Edge Animate. Is this true?

The article is from Talking New Media - July 15, 2015

Is the Newsstand really going away, or merely becoming a regular folder? has Adobe ended development of Edge Animate? - …link to article

This is distressing in that I've invested energy and am creating a few projects around Edge. They suggest another software but it doesn't feel as comprehensive as Edge and here goes yet more fees while trying to survive on a bootstrap budget.

• 1. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
          didiermazier Adobe Community Professional

this look scary, but this info seems suspicious… and it mainly concerns digital publishers… not web designers

• 3. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

There is something strange in the neighborhood … We are not the only ones wondering what…

What is happening with Adobe Edge Animate l EdgeHero

• 4. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
              foj Level 1

Think I've been on a similar moan before, but this is our time and money that Adobe is messing around with,

Support for Edge Animate has been dreadful from Adobe – by not advertising it’s merits they have allowed less comprehensive (certainly less artist friendly) offerings from rival companies to capture potential users.

Does anyone understand Adobes policy?  – Beyond the core applications it’s not making any sense. Nothing is joined up (ever tried using an Edge Animate PhoneGap Build pipeline, it should be fantastic but really isn’t). Adobe need to believe in their own products, they have only just realised how important and unique Flash is (or that it still makes dollars). I am scared that Adobe have purchased Mixamo, how does this product fit in with their core portfolio and will it remain fit for purpose (indie and rapid game development) under Adobes stewardship... Conversely, why didn't Adobe purchase Scaleform (even I thought of that before Autodesk moved in)....

Adobe need to invest as much heart into their software as users do! - and explain their polices to us a lot better.

Edge Animate was shaping up nicely! Is it dead? What will be replacing it?

• 5. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                aa_lique Level 1

Thanks so much for that article. It's such a shame. Edge could have been (still could be) a dynamo. Hopefully there's a powerful update coming or maybe another company will pick up where Adobe left off. I am hesitant to use Edge anymore until I here more. I already had to change my styling when Adobe dropped the oil-paint filter from their repertoire. I was halfway thru a children's book project (20 pages). I eventually found another product and love it.  But Adobe created a very big production glitch that created a lot of work, money and time for me gone down the drain.

I missed my deadline and had to lay out a lot of cash to get the work redone. So I got burned once and learned from that lesson.

I find Adobe sometimes loses FOCUS. Mixamo is a great project and I can see why they are concentrating on that. Makes animating a hell of a lot easier, rigging is always a lot of work.

They put so much effort in Flash which truly is a great product, but from what I understand some browsers are blocking it. And it doesn't beat making Edge a solid program for developers to use. With EDGE I thought I had found the magic bullet.

And I hope they read our comments by the way.

COME ON ADOBE!!! Please GIVE US SOME FEEDBACK. We developers are your supporters, paying monthly and we need to know how to shape and develop our products. We love you but don't appreciate the abandonment.

• 6. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

Keep cool guys, maybe it is juste an hoax…

Animate is so well accepted and used that I really do not see them drop it off.

Even Google Double Click is accepting Animate banners now…

But if it vanish away we will be obliged to find another software because to me Flash is definitively overpassed. (Do you remember Macromind Director… and those damned action scripts… Never could get used to it nor Flash anyway). We loooooove Animate! We love Js and JQ…

Wait and see… There is nothing we can do.

• 7. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                    foj Level 1

Keep cool, when there’s an opportunity to moan and spread panic!

Hopefully Adobe will continue to support EA - it will be a massive shame if they do not, it is the most art-friendly and customisable solution I’ve encountered.

However, the fact remains it is currently abysmally supported and documented, and full-o-bugs. The 2015 release does little to remedy anything as far as I can see (on-stage text editing and faster performance with 64-bit chromium embedded framework (CEF) support?) I have also been burnt by recommending a EdgeAnimate/Phonegap-Build pipeline and then discovering it's nothing like as simple as advertised and that zero help is available from Adobe.

Edge Animate needs much more support from a company of Adobes stature. We subscribe to Adobe to get stable, well documented and supported solutions. And preferably software that will integrate and compliment each other.

...Director and Lingo, a great well documented product - books in those days =]

• 8. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                      aa_lique Level 1

I think a discussion needs to be held re: that an important reason for the monthly payment should incl. better support for the products we are paying for.

Adobe is too secretive and too silent on matters that developers and creative are concerned about. I LOVE Adobe immensely - but that latest faux pas I experienced

as stated in my last post, was a nightmare. And I had no warning or control over it. Just no information was shared with us as a community.

• 9. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                        abnesher Level 1

The frustration towards Adobe in my office is building. My boss is getting increasingly irritated, that most of our project-estimates gets pushed back again and again as we stumble upon product-breaking bugs in every new version of Edge, and then having to rebuild in previous versions.

As suggested by user "Redesign" we have now decided to ONLY use 2014.0.1. To think that Adobe's last two Edge updates are so buggy, that they will destroy simple usecases, is rather unsettling. The worst thing about it though, is NO official word from Adobe....I mean, I can take a lot of buggy software and workarounds (especially with a community as great as this forum), but there HAS to be some kind of information-flow from the developers if users are to accept this bumps in the road.

I'm a former Flash-user, and there are absolutely NO alternatives that will offer a visual based  software, that sports the SAME amount of animation- AND interactivity options...well, somewhat apart from Edge Animate. If Adobe shuts down Edge, there is nothing left UNLESS....they transfer the ressources back to Flash and start enhancing the HTML5-features there.

Personally I don't believe they are going to shut down Edge, but they NEED to start talking to us. My livelyhood is based on these types of software, and I can't waste my time running at a dead end. That time could be spent better at enhancing my programming skills...although I will never be more than a sucky programmer

Perhaps we should start sharing experiences on combinations of non-Adobe software, that will take us as close to Flash/Edge as possible. I don't mind trying my hand at another workflow, unless it will take more ressources then the old one.

• 10. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                          foj Level 1

Great comments abnesher - be good to think Adobe is paying any attention to this.

I have said this a few times but I have found nothing as art-friendly as Edge Animate. Flash was/is fantastic, dropping browser support for it has set website creativity back years – although we do now have the advantage of the (almost) globally standard HTML5.

(Particularly thinking of apps) I have tried an early version of Proto.io, which has some mileage, I know a lot of people rate Sencha and there’s Google Web Designer which looks (like Edge Animate) interesting. I use Unity a lot for 3D content, and because it’s HTML5/Web GL powered and has great 2D abilities I don’t see why it couldn’t be used to make some very interesting ‘traditional’ websites.

What I have noticed is that many artists have overlooked Edge Animate – I think Adobe should have pushed Edge Animate a lot more vociferously at ground level. Maybe you are right and they are taking the EA functionality back into Flash (massive updates in the 2015 version of Flash, and not as dead as everyone imagines).

Bottom line is it would be great to know Adobes plans (what’s all this WoodWing business?).

I think the problem with Adobe is that they are too busy making iPad apps: http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2015/

• 11. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                            ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

foj wrote:

I have said this a few times but I have found nothing as art-friendly as Edge Animate. Flash was/is fantastic, dropping browser support for it has set website creativity back years – although we do now have the advantage of the (almost) globally standard HTML5.

Well since Flash Professional can do more and more - and has become a multi-format authoring tool that can even now output HTML5 Canvas (and this is increasingly being done) - perhaps Adobe's long-term solution here is to move back to Flash Pro?

As an aside, a reader just commented that he was unable to install Edge Animate CC 2015 on his 32-bit Windows PC...  Did EA become 64-bit-only with the 2015 release?  (Saw this but wasn't entirely clear.)

• 12. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                              dSparks Level 1

If you believe this, I have a bridge in NY I inherited from my great uncle but really don't use. You can have it for $1K! Just send me a cashier's check and a self addressed envelope and I'll send you the deed and title!

This is purely rumor.

Seems more like a PR marketing ploy to get you to freak out and buy Tumult Hype. Everybody is wanting a piece of this pie. Note a couple of things:

• No sources is given for the rumors. If no source can be given, it's pretty much a lie. "Word is going around..." Honestly? Where? I google it and can't find anything else.
                              • Comments are closed. It's barely 2 months old and no one is allowed to comment on such a huge deal?

As for didiermazier 's link to his article, it also has no source for the rumors ("...and i saw that a lot of rumours started spreading." Really, where?) and it was written MONTHS before Adobe released EA CC2015. The fact that Adobe may be changing around people internally doesn't mean anything. So it's still in the works I'm sure. Possibly they were busy with the new 64-bit Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF).

Until you actually hear something official from Adobe, don't give in to the hype (no pun intended) to use other software.

• 13. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                aa_lique Level 1

Oh, You are a funny guy!

"ploy to get you to freak out and buy Tumult Hype"

Yes, I thought so too.

But from what I understand the the new release from June 2015 is buggy. And no new updates since June.

Also checked out info regarding new features on Adobe site for EA where previous year updates and fixes were happening at least every 2 months. Basically all we are asking is information. I want to know if I shld still be publishing documents that use edge software to the app store. I got burned before when something became obsolete. I am a little reticent to repeat that theme again.

I have been involved in EA long before many of you and I love it. It could be a powerhouse. If I shld be developing with Flash, I need to know now before I plop down a whole bunch of money to develop a product that has to be restructured.

I am not a wealthy guy out here with money to burn.

BlogJune « 2015 « Adobe Edge Animate Team Blog

Archives

• 14. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                  foj Level 1

Sorry to keep chirping-in, but to concur with aa-lique in answer to dSparks – this thread has become about CC subscribers being given the appropriate amount of consideration from Adobe. Adobe continue to create and purchase solutions that for a substantial section of the user base are under supported and fail to provide the promoted joined-up pipelines. Like aa-lique I am afraid to continue using ‘peripheral’ Adobe products because when I hit a (big) snag weeks in to a project, and unlike all the other software I rely on, there is no answer forthcoming. ( I guess it doesn't help the way Adobe were perceived to assist in pulling the rug from under Flash.)

What is this 64bit CEF anyway, is it massive news – Lynda.com et al don’t seem to think the 2015 updates are worth any coverage? & how crazy is it if CEF means EA no longer works on 32bit machines (re ProDesignTools comment).

• 15. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                    rosebudd Level 3

I remember when Macromedia bought out the most popular HTML authoring tool from the Allaire brothers, Homesite. Macromedia was hoping to lure Homesite users to Dreamweaver. Homesite was included in all the Macromedia bundles, but it was hidden in Goodies. Now obviously that was a long time ago. I continued to use Homesite until last year, when it started crashing. I just loved the in app preview because there was zero WYSIWYG functionality. It was especially good for HTML emails because HTML emails are so '90s HTML

I have Edge CC 2015 and do not find it buggy. Love the text tool not using a pop out text box. But then I do have a 64 bit system.

I think Lynda.com just does not have authors chomping at the bit to create tutes. I watched the newer 2014 Edge Essentials after having watched the original 2012 version in early 2014.I don't feel like there is anything new that merits a tute.

I noticed that unless I use Doublecllick Studio's enabler.js my published files have an empty js folder because there is no jquery being used.

• 16. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                      catalinaholguin

Indeed, need answers regarding this. We are in digital publishing and using a ton of Edge Animate. Great tool. Needs support and enhancements, but I would appreciate also an official answer regarding this "gossip". THANKS!

• 17. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                        aa_lique Level 1

Hello!

Anybody home? Looking for the Wizard! We all need to know the way home.

Time is valuable. I need to publish my products, and pay yr monthly fees.

I miss Sara Hunt, she usually would get right back to you, but I don't think anyone at Adobe is

reading our post. That's scary!

• 18. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

abnesher wrote:

I'm a former Flash-user, and there are absolutely NO alternatives that will offer a visual based software, that sports the SAME amount of animation- AND interactivity options...well, somewhat apart from Edge Animate. If Adobe shuts down Edge, there is nothing left UNLESS....they transfer the ressources back to Flash and start enhancing the HTML5-features there.

Well, just an observation, but Adobe has got 3 sessions coming at the big annual MAX conference next month with both the words "Flash Pro" and "Future" in their titles.

What’s New in Flash Professional CC, the Animation Tool of the Future

The Future Is Now: HTML5 Advertising with Flash Professional CC

Flash Professional CC: The Future of Animation Is Here!

• 19. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                            abnesher Level 1

ProDesignTools, thx for the links. Those are pretty awesome news in my book! Dunno what it says about the future of EA though...

• 20. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                              aa_lique Level 1

ProDesignTools, thanks frm me also.

Informative links. Looks like more efforts are going into Flash than Edge - that speaks volumes.

I was also checking the over-all traffic of the EA forum and noticing that not many of our posts/threads are being answered by Staff members.

Another tell-tale. Are we wasting time and efforts? If they aren't even reading our posts.

Geez! Here we go again. Time to dust off my actionscript and learn some WebGL.

• 21. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

Not sure either.  But what is certain is there was more added in the CC 2015 cycle for Flash Pro than for Edge Animate.  Also there are 8 sessions at MAX covering Flash Pro vs. 1 for Edge Animate.  Still, the EA Forum here generally has more current activity than the Flash Pro forum.

It's purely a speculation, but it wouldn't be surprising if Adobe rebranded Flash Professional, now that it can output not just Flash, but also HTML5 Canvas, WebGL, Animated SVG, etc.  That might help reposition it as a general authoring tool and away from some of the "anti-Flash" hubbub of recent years.

• 22. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                  dSparks Level 1

Thanks for the links ProDesignTools!

I would love to sit in on the "The Future is Now:..."

Of all the items listed, 1hr 15 m doesn't see sufficient time to really cover everything. =)

• 23. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                    dSparks Level 1

Everything is always up in the air and, to be fair, I really don't know what's going to happen either. But again, everything is just rumor thus far and we'll learn what's going on eventually. I would like to believe that their thinking is towards providing an app for all levels and skills. For example, this scenario is not much different than having several web creation apps; Dreamweaver, Edge Reflow, and Muse. Why wouldn't they keep Flash Pro and EA? I'm also using EA CC 2015 and have had no issues with it thus far.

Personally, I would love to see a new, rebranded Flash that could handle output to H5 just as easy as EA without having to do anything extra to convert the AS to JS. I've worked with Flash, Aftereffects and EA and I'll say, I LOVE the timeline UI in EA over Flash. Just easier and more intuitive control for me. Those little squares in the Flash timeline get to me after a long session of animating. Maybe even a merging of the two? I would like to see a merge of Muse and Dreamweaver. That would be cool. =)

If you're into Flash CC then you know about about GSAP. And if you're using EA for ad banner creation, Greensock has a great, concise article about the issues we're facing as we move from SWF to H5 banners. There are also links to a draft of the proposed standards issued by IAB which is up for public comment if you care to.

GreenSock | Solutions for Banner Ads in the Post-Flash World

• 24. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                      Herbert2001 Level 4

I have been using Edge Animate for the last few months in my classes. When EA was first introduced, my first thought was "it is an experiment". Working with EA, I could not shake that feeling, and I am still opinionated towards EA as an experiment by Adobe: there have been many in the past, and purely based on my gut feeling, I would say Edge Animate's life span may be cut short before long.

Remember Live Motion? That 3d animation tool? Brackets? Just a few examples. Edge Animate - don't know for certain, of course, but based on the facts surrounding this application, I expect EA to go down a similar path.

Especially seeing Flash is given a new lease on life with Adobe having it focus on H5 output. Developing two tools with identical outputs and purpose just makes no sense.

• 25. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                        resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When we sign up for the pre-release program, we sign a non-disclosure agreement. So there is nothing we can say about development per-se but just draw your conclusions about the situation. When was it the last time that an Adobe Personel did answer a question on this forum? I have been answering most questions by myself when I have time - I do have a regular job and I am just a volunteer.

Adobe Max is soon. See if they will talk about Animate at all.

• 26. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                          Husker732

I too would like to know what's going on with Edge Animate. I've been investing quite a bit of my time recently learning EA and taking online classes for it. I'm a long-time Flash user and have been looking for a designer-friendly alternative to creating HTML5-based, media-rich activities and prototyping/creating hybrid mobile apps. EA seemed like the perfect solution for me and I've been gearing up to present to my team an Edge Animate > PhoneGap Build pipeline too. Now, I'm not so sure.

I find it troubling that there aren't any labs or sessions for EA at the MAX conference this year. Last year, there were quite a few and Adobe made it seem like EA was here to stay. I sent an email to the MAX support team about this as well and they said they had, "no plans to have any speakers specific to Edge Animate at the 2015 conference."

• 27. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                            foj Level 1

Gotcha Husker732, a quick test on that Edge Ainimate > PhoneGap Build pipeline: how do you get a video to stay inline on the iPhone; can you zip a (Phonegap) config.xml in with EA publish files (and get the app to work); how can you get your own app icon to display on devices??? I can’t get any of these to work =]

Bummer that Adobe lead us down these paths without any meaningful support. It would be great to be kept in the loop a little, we invest so much time (and money) on learning these programmes. Some light on the unprecedented range and diversity of Adobes portfolio would also be great – but not expected.

redesign, thanks for the added intrigue – and all your hard work here on the forum. The staff at PhoneGap are actually quite responsive (they just have no idea about EA), (as were the folks at Mixamo until Adobe bought them). Looking forward to see if MAX makes any sense of all this, hope any replacement is quick-to-learn, has the right features (guess we all have different priorities here) - and works!.

• 28. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

I do not expect any replacement. I think Flash is what is left and not sure what is going on there.

• 29. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                                dSparks Level 1

Just off the top of my head but has anyone tried contacting and asking these questions through their Facebook or Twitter pages?

I don't have an account for neither one of these. They may be more responsive if the question is out there for all the world to see.

• 30. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

Yes! Adobe is quiet!

• 31. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                                    Herbert2001 Level 4

...which is (in my experience with Adobe) a tell-tale sign something's amiss...

• 32. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

I really love Animate and it is doing all I need it to do for my field which is education. I just do not use the 2 latest version which I find too buggy. So far I have not encountered any situation where I could not get animate do what I wanted using JavaScript and any needed plugin like jquery-UI for drag n drop for example. So for me it is the best tool.

But for Adobe it is only a question of money and how many subscriptions they get.

• 33. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                                        dSparks Level 1

But for Adobe it is only a question of money and how many subscriptions they get.

Unfortunately, you're right. As all else, this is consumer- and fear-driven. If everyone jumps ship and they're not making a profit from a particular app, then no reason to continue.

So far I have not encountered any situation where I could not get animate do what I wanted using JavaScript and any needed plugin like jquery-UI for drag n drop for example. So for me it is the best tool.

Then I don't see any reason not to continue using it even if they discontinue development. You may not get support but if it works for what you're doing, it works. =) The only area I think it could become an issue is for those of us who use it to create animated H5 ad banners and, if discontinued, providers/vendors refuse any EA files.

I just do not use the 2 latest version which I find too buggy.

I'm hearing that often but I, personally, haven't had any issues with the latest build. The one before it was definitely buggy. Actually, of all the versions I've used, this one has been the most stable on my machine and have had no errors. It all could be due to system compatibility as I know they now base it off the CEF.

Nevertheless, again, everything is all rumor and assumption. I guess we'll find out the facts soon enough. Until then, I will continue to use it until they say, "No more."

• 34. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

I understand the money and usage but if they had not launched a buggy version it would have been better. Many people got discouraged. it is hard to use a buggy software in production. Your boss will blame you, not Adobe even if you explain which they will take as a cop-out. Oh well.

Yes we can use it until a browser update brakes everything which happened once with FF. So if there is no support, then it is death for sure!

• 35. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                                            foj Level 1

Yes EA needs support to stay relevant and functional. If Adobe are deserting it because of the lack of users, I know it’s just not in the sights of many artists and developers - people have no idea of what it can do, which again is down to Adobe.

Yes, we will have to wait and see - like everything in this world it is about answers in the boardroom and not on the forums of your paying costumers =[

(Personally, I don't think Adobe know what they are up to - in terms of the bigger picture and that mess of applications they own.)

• 36. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?

dSparks wrote:

So far I have not encountered any situation where I could not get animate do what I wanted using JavaScript and any needed plugin like jquery-UI for drag n drop for example. So for me it is the best tool.

Then I don't see any reason not to continue using it even if they discontinue development. You may not get support but if it works for what you're doing, it works. =) The only area I think it could become an issue is for those of us who use it to create animated H5 ad banners and, if discontinued, providers/vendors refuse any EA files.

It's definitely true that if something did happen to stop further development on EA, then CC subscribers can continue to use existing or old versions indefinitely – just as folks still use Fireworks, Encore, and Flash Builder Premium within the Creative Cloud.

• 38. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                                                rosebudd Level 3

The Facebook page is way more active than this forum. Looks like social is more important to Adobe. Just posted a link to this forum topic. Will report back if I get an answer.

• 39. Re: Is Adobe continuing development w/Edge Animate?
                                                                                  dSparks Level 1

I wouldn't hold my breath. I posted a question via FB messaging through my wife's account two days ago and, unfortunately, still no reply yet. I used messaging in case they didn't want to respond publicly on record in case something was in transition. There was a previous post there asking about an email, back in July, asking the same question and all they did in response was to point to the EA blog.

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 12.45.21.png

1 2 Previous Next