7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2015 12:35 PM by Jao vdL

Export colour different to develop module but same as library module

LJPitcher

Today, I came across a problem which I have not previously seen in LR CC.

I switched between Library and Develop modules and saw very notable changes in the colour range and brightness of my images. Library images were redder and darker than in the Develop module.

The exported JPEG image colour most closely matches my Library module image and not the Develop module image as it should - this makes editing images very hit-and-miss, as I have to keep going back into Library module to see the actual changes that I am making in the Develop module.

How can I fix this bug so that Develop module images are accurate representations of the exported image?

• 1. Re: Export colour different to develop module but same as library module
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi LJPitcher,

Could you please confirm the version of Lightroom that you are using?

And if you have a Mac or a Windows machine?

• 2. Re: Export colour different to develop module but same as library module
            LJPitcher Level 1

Hi, I use Windows 10 64-bit (a clean recent installation) with Lightroom CC (also recently reinstalled), both on a 960Gb Sandisk SSD.

System specs are:

AMD 6350 6-core 3.9Ghz processor

32Gb RAM

AMD Radeon R9-200 graphics processor - Driver 15.200.1062.1004

the problem is recent, so could have to do with Windows 10, or the latest graphics driver for the Radeon card, I suppose?

However, similar issues seem to date back on the forums from 2009 onwards.

• 3. Re: Export colour different to develop module but same as library module
              Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Thank you for the update.

Yes, this seems to be due to graphics processor.

Would suggest you to go under Lightroom Preferences> Performance> uncheck the option to use graphics processor

If that yields better results then, you should try to install the latest version of AMD graphics card drivers :

AMD Catalyst 15.8 Beta Driver for Windows

• 4. Re: Export colour different to develop module but same as library module
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This probably happened with the driver install. It probably installed a color profile for your monitor. The problem is that those are quite often badly done. When you have GPU acceleration turned on in Lightroom (Preferences->Performance) sometimes canned profiles (i.e ones that you don't generate yourself by calibrating your display but that are installed by driver software) can lead to differences in color between Library and Develop. Such a color difference is a very typical sign of a corrupt monitor profile and it is a very common problem on Windows installations. Generally if you turn off the GPU acceleration in Lightroom the difference should go away but that is no cure-all solution. Whatever you do, you should recalibrate your monitor using calibration hardware (an indispensable tool for anybody doing photography on a computer). If you don't have one of those, try setting the monitor profile to sRGB (in your monitor's properties pane) and see if that takes care of the difference. If it does, then your monitor profile was bad and you should get yourself a calibrator to get correct color. Setting your monitor to sRGB or using a canned profile installed by a driver makes that you can't trust the color you see anywhere.

• 5. Re: Export colour different to develop module but same as library module
                  LJPitcher Level 1

Thank you both - disabling the graphics processor has returned the Library and Develop modules to the same appearance.

Both have reverted to the Library-style appearance, so the issue was affecting the Develop module specifically. So much for all of the editing I did at the weekend, it'll have to be re-done as nothing looks remotely similar now...
                  :-(

I will try the updated driver and now know what to look out for.

Cheers!

• 6. Re: Export colour different to develop module but same as library module
                    LJPitcher Level 1

UPDATE:

I have downloaded the latest graphics driver and the problem persists when processor support is turned on in LR, so unfortunately I will have to run without graphics support.

Hopefully this will help others who find themselves in the same situation, and equally hopefully both Adobe and AMD will come up with some long-term graphics-card-compatible solution.

:-/

• 7. Re: Export colour different to develop module but same as library module
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Glad that solved the immediate issue. Do realize that whatever you do, if you want to be able to trust the color you see on your display, you HAVE to calibrate it using calibration hardware such as Spyder, ColorMunki, eye 1 display, etc. If you do this, then also the difference between Lightroom Library and Develop will disappear even with the GPU turned on. Very few monitors come from the manufacturer not needing any calibration and profiling and if you don't calibrate, you'll always be targeting an unknown target. You might be lucky and have a monitor that is fairly close to sRGB out of the box but those are rare and expensive. Even when a monitor comes with "sRGB" or "adobeRGB" modes, they are often quite far off from those standards.