2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2015 4:30 PM by A.T. Romano

Video stabilization and motion tracking at the same time

marcs75105018

Is there a possibility to use motion tracking and video stabilization at the same time? When I do it the motion tracking will be applied to the original video so that the object does all the shaking even though the shown video is stable….

• 1. Re: Video stabilization and motion tracking at the same time
          A.T. Romano Level 7

marcs

This is an interesting question to try to give an answer that does not sway in the breeze.

What version of Premiere Elements are you targeting and what computer operating system is involved?

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 presently the current version is the only version to have the Shake Stabilizer. Versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 13 have a different video stabilizer.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Stabilize video footage with Shake Stabilizer

And, as for Motion Tracking, that was absent in version 11 and present in 12/12.1 and 13/13.1. The 13/13.1 Motion Tracking has had its problems in contrast to the performance of the feature in 12.

There are certain things that you can do to a clip so that Shake Stabilizer refuses to video stabilize the video.

examples...the Timeline content properties do not match those of the project preset or Time Remapping or Time Stretch has been applied to the clip and Shake Stabilizer and Time Stretch or Time Remapping cannot be used on the same clip.

In the case of Motion Tracking and Shake Stabilizer with Premiere Elements 13/13.1, you can get both processes on the same clip, but what you get is not always what you want. And when you add

When I do it the motion tracking will be applied to the original video so that the object does all the shaking even though the shown video is stable…. 

That brings an added dimension to the situation.

Motion Tracking alone feature has its unique criteria for working or not working - type of tracking agent and object to be tracked and other characteristic of the situation.

Within the next few hours, I will post some observations of Motion Tracking and Shake Stabilizer in one clip when Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows 7 64 bit is used.

To be continued....

ATR

• 2. Re: Video stabilization and motion tracking at the same time
            A.T. Romano Level 7

marcs

Add On to post 1....

Is there a possibility to use motion tracking and video stabilization at the same time?

All conditions willing, I would say yes.....

Provided

(a) you can get Motion Tracking to work on your image at all

and

(b) Shake Stabilizer is not refusing to video stabilizer because of project preset or effects applied to it

and

(c) your tracking agent is a motion (shaking) clip or a motion induced still

You should be able to

motion tracking will be applied to the original video so that the object does all the shaking even though the shown video is stable….

since the tracking agent (shaking object) will be on video track 2 and the object being tracked is on video 1.

Tip to try: if you want a shaky still as your tracking agent, after doing the Motion Tracking part, apply the Earthquake effect to the still on Video 2. Then place a video on Video 3 above the still and take the opacity of the video to 0%. Refer to

Earthquake Effect Problems...

For Motion Tracking, please refer to

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Motion Tracking/What To Use To Track Object?

I found Project Assets location in the opened Motion Tracking workspace to be convenient for obtaining my tracking agent.

ATR