6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 6:52 PM by gunterp51880282

Premier Elements 4 low System Memory

gunterp51880282

I have been using Adobe Premier Elements 6 successfully for around 8 years. I'm currently working on my latest project and whilst transferring video clips/photos from files stored on my PC I get the message "Adobe Premier Elements is running low on system memory. Please save your projrct and proceed with caution". From that moment on I can't do anything, as Premier Elements simply stops working! The file size was 946 KB? My PC is a DELL XPS 420. The latest data has been filmed with my new SONY HDR - JP410 camcorder.

Can anyone help me please? I'm 77 years of age and would appreciate it very much if terminology used can be understood by a person my age, thank you.

[Title edited for clarity... Mod]

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 6 low System Memory
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>latest data has been filmed with my new SONY HDR - JP410

I will GUESS that your new camera uses a High Definition codec that does not play nice with your old program

Codec tutorial on Vimeo https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1567965

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 6 low System Memory
            A.T. Romano Level 7

gunterp

Please double check the name of the program that you have been using. There is no Premiere Elements 6. The Premiere Elements versions are 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 (13 is the current version). Adobe skipped the names Premiere Elements 5 and 6.

What is the computer operating system that your Premiere Elements version is running on?

Have you used your Premiere Elements computer system for editing high definition footage before. I suspect that you are using Premiere Element 4.0 and high definition AVCHD files from your new camera. Premiere Elements 4 does not support AVCHD format which is a high resource demanding format.

HDR-PJ410 Specifications | Handycam Camcorders | Sony UK

AVCHD was not supported until Premiere Elements 7.

So, please let us know

1. Premiere Elements version and computer operating system

2. Have you ever used this source of video (presumed AVCHD) successfully in one of your Premiere Elements projects - is this a new experience for you? What type of video have you used in the past?

3. How much installed and available RAM does your computer have?

If you have to stay with your current version of Premiere Elements and your computer operating system and these files, we may have to convert them into another format before you import them into your Premiere Elements project.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification on the above. If you do not understand the questions, please say so and what you do not understand, and I will re-write so that we communicate to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 6 low System Memory
              gunterp51880282 Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano

Thank you very much for replying so quickly; I'll try and provide as much and as accurate information as possible.

My old camcorder is a Panasonic NV-GS 120 and I'm not sure it is capable of High Definition recording and I don't think I have edited footage in HD before. I had to replace the Panasonic camcorder because the zoom became faulty and can't be repaired.

The Premier Elements version installed on my PC is # 4, I apologize for my mistake; it happened because I have Adobe Photoshop 6 installed also and I got confused.

The operating system on my PC is Windows VISTA HOME PREMIUM 32.

My new SONY HDR -PJ 410 camcorder actually records in both MP4 and AVCHD at the same time; I have no idea why.

When I transfer the data to my PC it transfers both versions. However when I "Get Media" in Premier Elements I have been transferring data via "Files and Folders" in MP4 format only.

I have never used the AVCHD format before, in fact I didn't even know it existed.

I don't know how much available RAM my computer has. My computer is a DELL XPS 420 and never had any extra memory cards fitted.

I don't have to stay with my current version of Premier Elements and would be happy to purchase a suitable version if necessary; the same applies to my current operating system. Would that require me to purchase a new PC also?

I hope this provides you with the required information; please don't hesitate to contact me should you require anything additional.

With kind regards

Gunter

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 6 low System Memory
                gunterp51880282 Level 1

Hi John T Smith

Thank you for replying to my problems. I will try and look into the links you provided and hopefully get some positive results.

I have discovered that Adobe Premier Elements 6 doesn't exist; my version is in fact # 4. I got confused because I have Adobe Photoshop 6 installed also!!!

My new camera actually records in MP4 and AVCHD simultaneously; don't ask me why!

When I download files from the camcorder onto my PC, both versions are downloaded; I have only used MP4 files with Premier Elements 4 though.

With best regards

Gunter

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 6 low System Memory
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gunter

Thanks for the reply.

We could talk about converting your AVCHD from your Sony HDR-PJ410 into a Premiere Elements 4 less resource demanding and compatible format, like MPEG2.mpg. But still the problem exists related to using low computer resource situation: Premiere Elements 4 (32 bit application) on a 32 bit system and editing high definition video in a decent sized project.

As of Premiere Elements 13/13.1 (current version for now), the program does not support Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit.

For maximum return with your camera's video AVCHD plus XAVC-S, you are facing version Premiere Elements 12, 13 or likely 14 to come soon coupled with a computer operating system of Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit.

If you do move to latest version Premiere Elements on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit, I would suggest you start your XAVC-S camera settings and compare it to AVCHD.

Lots of choices. Please do not hesitate to ask if more questions or need clarification on this matter.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 4 low System Memory
                    gunterp51880282 Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano

Thank you very much for your response, I can't tell you could how much your assistance is appreciated.

Obviously time moves on and it looks very much like I need to update both my current Windows operating system and the Adobe Premier Elements version I'm using.

I wonder why you are thanking me?

With kind regards

Gunter