10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2015 2:04 PM by Marc Lindeman

buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE

Marc Lindeman

I am switching from my iMac and older MacPro to get better performance from an HP Z820 workstation with the sole intention of running adobe  software, specifically Pr and AE

I'm willing to pay to get the performance, but not a Hollywood production house, so no need to overkill. But I definitely want speed and the resources to take advantage of all that AE has to offer.

thought and suggestions?

• 1. Re: buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why don't you get a custom video editing computer tailored to your workflow, media and budget from fellow forum members and video editing experts like Eric at ADK or Jeff at Safe Harbor

• 2. Re: buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the hp z840 can be built in many different configs, so unless you have a budget like $5k, $10k, or $20k, etc, and/or reference point like 2x faster than a certain machine, or same speed as new mac pro 12-core, etc, its a guess to recommend a certain config. depending what build you get from hp, a similar speed custom build desktop grade pc from the places bill suggests may be half the price. workstation builds from those places may still be alot cheaper, depending on the system and the price you can get the hp. if you get a base z840 system for a good price from a re-seller, and add your own memory, video card, and storage you can save a significant amount over buying those components from hp.

the other part to all of this is AE itself. AE is undergoing a code re-write in order to finally make it a full 64-bit program with multi-threading. when this is complete the memory requirements should be lower. but for now, if you plan on using AE cc2014, it requires a certain amount of memory per core. so with xeon and especially dual xeon, you are going to need a ton of memory and the cost of that memory from hp can be very expensive. the alternative is to go with a cpu with lower core count but at higher clock speeds. for dual xeon cpu's these versions come at a premium, but for a single cpu version xeon's or i7's, they will be reasonably priced and the i7 non-ecc memory will also be cheaper.

• 3. Re: buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

A X99 system with either an 8 Core i7 clocked at 4GHz+ with 64GB of DDR4 2666+ would give the best performance over all for both GPU acceleration based applications such as Premiere and CPU/Ram based applications such as AE. The Asus X99 WS boards can also handle a single V3 Xeon chip and 128GB of DDR4 2133 Reg Dimm.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE
                Marc Lindeman Level 1

Bill, nice, I was going to go with an HP because of the reliability factor. But going into these custom builds, especially ADK who start you off with custom builds spec'ed to you software preferences. Adobe being mine. This is a nice resource and will dig deeper into this.

My only concern is that with all things custom, what happens when something goes wrong.

But again, the same machines as HP at half the price.

thanks for this resource.

• 5. Re: buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

We support the systems, software, and hardware as a solution for the life of the system. That means we centralize the support through us for the media content production in the client's woorkflow versus each manufacturer or designer. Standard OEM only supports the hardware and base OS elements. We use standard Hardware components available to the client in the retail market so nothing is restricted or proprietary.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE
                    Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My only concern is that with all things custom, what happens when something goes wrong.

But again, the same machines as HP at half the price.

thanks for this resource.

Buy 2

• 8. Re: buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE
                      Marc Lindeman Level 1

Thanks Eric, I take it you build machines.

I currently have an iMac 3.4 gz intel core i7, 32GB 1333MHz DDR3 with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

This machine although nice, is way too slow for both my AE projects and I sometimes experience problems with Pr.

"A X99 system with either an 8 Core i7 clocked at 4GHz+ with 64GB of DDR4 2666+ would give the best performance over all for both GPU acceleration based applications such as Premiere and CPU/Ram based applications such as AE. The Asus X99 WS boards can also handle a single V3 Xeon chip and 128GB of DDR4 2133 Reg Dimm."

Looking at your spec, what is the significance in noticeable speed. Right now the new version of AE CC has some great ew features like playing sound while viewing. However, on my Mac, sound drops, highly taxed effects just bog everything down. Your spec, even though numerically better, would it still run into some bogging down, and sound dropouts, etc....

Would this really be the best build, or is there a slightly better option that runs like your spec without the resources being severely taxed.

Or maybe it's perfect?

One thing of note is that the new Pr Pro will allow you to open clips in AE, effect them, and then go back to Pr Pro and do the edits. Under my current iMac configuration, it's just a pipe-dream. It stalls, burps and farts it's way through a playback. What is needed to make this a real option for an editor.

That is why I was looking at an HPZ840. It could be configured for optimum performance, but $$$$$$

• 9. Re: buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Eric has run a x99 motherboard with a single Xeon E5-2697 v3 at 3.0 GHz and with our CPU intensive PPBM benchmark it accomplished the task in 222 seconds with that $2700 list price 14-core processor.  My x99 system with a $1000 list price 8-core i7-5960X  at 4.5 GHZ gets the same CPU intensive task done in 276 seconds.  Plus with the Xeon 64 GB of registered memory will add cost to the system and you would get slightly slower memory.  So would that upgrade be worth it to you?

• 10. Re: buying HP Z820 workstation, need advice for best build, AE
                          Marc Lindeman Level 1

Thanks everyone for your inputs and Bill for hooking me up with Eric. I talked to him on the phone for a good hour and I got more education in one hour with regards to processing and adobe than I have through any other source. The guy knows his stuff.

I was going to go with an HP build because convention has it that way, but after talking to Eric, there were better options that met my needs much better than what HP had to offer.

I'm going to get a machine built by him and looking forward to the final product and the hours of saved time and labor by having the machine that truly suits my needs.

Thanks everyone.