13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 12:18 PM by Szalam

How long should it take to render radio waves?

christineg55156888

I have AE CS5. I created a 90 sec clip that is  just radio waves. It is only half way through rendering, and it has taken over 50 hrs. It is estimating that it will take another 60 hrs to finish. Is this normall? Is there something that I can do to improve this in the future? I have 12 GB ram, no other programsrunning

• 1. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Without some details about your composition or you're under settings it's hard to say. You could be trying to render to a codec that is slow to render. Could be having storage problems. You could be doing something in the commp that is slowing things way down. If it is a normal hd project then there's probably something  fouled up somewhere.

• 2. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It also depends on your settings for the radio waves. I've seen some projects where it was being used in a very abstract way, but it takes a while to render.

Also, and this is pretty likely, have you accidentally set your composition to use the ray-traced renderer instead of the standard renderer?

• 3. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?
              christineg55156888 Level 1

I do not have the Ray-traced capability since it is CS5.  I have made it very abstract actually.  I have added a wiggle expression to the producer point, and I have increased the frequency to 250, and animated the color.  Also, I plan to use it for a background for a very large screen, and wanted very high quality.  I am rendering to an avi.

• 4. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

The term, "very large screen" doesn't always demand "very large dimensions"  in after effects.  The limiting factor on the size of your comp is determined by the display device, and perhaps the playback device.  You need to know what they are.

For example, this animation might be played back on a blu-ray disk.  The maximum dimentions would be 1920x1080, so your comp would be 1920x1080.  What are the dimensions of YOUR comp?

• 5. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?

Sorry, I missed the part about CS5.

What processor do you have? What OS are you running? What are your memory and multiprocessing settings? And, as Dave says, what are the dimensions of your comp?

• 6. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?
                    StormyCPb Level 3

If you're going to be playing it back on a big screen as background (I assume it'll loop at some point), at 90sec an avi may not be wise (I'm guessing it's 1080p for now) as the file size will be into GBs and likely to stutter. You'd be better off using an mp4(H.264)... ok it'll have compression but for background it'll be unnoticeable and the file size much more manageable.

• 7. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?

I agree with Stormy about your final delivery format, but that depends entirely upon HOW you're planning to deliver it. As Dave mentioned, different playback methods will require different formats and codecs.

In any case, it's wise to render a lossless file from AE - as I assume you're doing - (in the correct pixel dimensions, which I don't know) and then use that file in the Adobe Media Encoder to produce your final deliverable.

Although, when you have a long render like this, I will always recommend rendering as an image sequence, that way if something goes wrong in the last minute of the render, at least you've only lost a frame or two and you don't have to set the render going for days and days again. If you render as an h.264 from AE and something goes awry in hour 59, you're screwed and have to start the render all over again.

When you render an image sequence, you can bring that sequence into Premiere to marry it back up with audio (if any) and create your deliverable.

• 8. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?

Thanks you for all the advice. I am still new to this. To answer some of the previous questions, I am running windows 10, and I have a Intel core i5-4430 cpu @ 3.00 GHz. The video will be played back from a computer to a projected. I don't know the specs of either of them. I am not sure of my comp settings. I am afraid to mess around in AE while it is rendering, so I can't see the. I know that I did use a HD NTSC preset. I probably did choose the largest dimensions that I saw. I guess that is the reason. I had no idea a render could so long. I appreciate any advice that can be given about settings to use in future project. I will probably just wait this one out, but I know I won't have days to wait in the future.

• 9. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?

Wait, you have CS5 running on Windows 10? That's...pretty impressive. People usually have problems with CS5, CS5.5, CS6, and CC on Windows 10. The only versions supported on Windows 10 are CC 2014 and CC 2015.

I wonder if using CC 2014 would render significantly faster. Too bad you're not a CC subscriber or we could test this out!

I could check your project on my end to compare if you would like. I could also check to see if there is anything in there that could be tweaked to make the render go more quickly in the future.

• 10. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?

Interesting, I did not know that about Windows 10.  What about Windows 8?

• 11. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?
                              LAD3D

These should render very quickly. Maybe you have motion blur on it, but that would not add more than a few minutes of render time. Are you planning to create ripples in water effects? that might take longer, but radio waves should render very quickly, even if the effect is a nested comp.

>>> I hear Radio Waves in my head.

• 12. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?
                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Got Win 7?  That's a sure-fire OS for AE CS 5.  Works like a champ.

And until you know what the kind of file client needs for playback on this computer, and the horizontal & vertical dimensions in pixels required by the projection device, you won't really know what you should be giving the client.

• 13. Re: How long should it take to render radio waves?

LAD3D wrote:

radio waves should render very quickly,

Not always. Try this technique: The Secret Menu of Radio Waves in After Effects