Firstly I would like to apologize if my english grammar is not perfect. It is not my mother tongue.
Ok. I produce users manuals in a tech company. I have always the same process to export a bokk as pdf. This book have 3 to 8 files (3 if it is for just one language, 4 if it is a multilingual of 2 languages, 8 if it is a multilingual of 6 languages).
This is the workflow:
- Open the files of the book.
- In each file I reveal some conditional text labels and hide others. Some of it always are revealed and others (type of product and country) are hidden or revealed for some documents. For example I reveal "Product A" and "France" for a Product A french manual or I reveal "Product B" and "Italy" for a Product B italian manual.
- In each file I reveal some layers and hide others. Some of it always are revealed and others (type of product ) are hidden or revealed for some documents. For example I reveal "Product A" layer for a Product A manual or I reveal "Product B" layer for a Product B italian manual. This layers are independient of the country. This layers have the same name than the product conditional text labels.
- Refresh the Table of contents in some files (1 for 1 language manual, 2 for 2 languages manuals, 6 for 6 languages manuals).
- Refresh cross references in the book.
- Check if the complete book is multiple of 4. If it isn't, I put some pages at the beginning of tha last file. The typical Notes page, based on a master page.
- Export the book to pdf with a customized and saved exportation profile.
And that's all...
I would like to know if it's possible to develop a script that automate it, or at least a part of this pocess. I don't know programming but some folks could help me a little (they don't know about InDesign), but I don't know how could start. Some light?