19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 1:09 PM by A.T. Romano

1st video track has two wave forms

os31776508 Level 1

Hello. I'm trying to sync audio and video manually in Premiere 13. I have a video with sound and PIP camera footage with sound. The first audio track has two wave forms instead of one. The second video has no wave forms. I tried to separate the 2nd video from its audio, but it does not seem to have worked. Is there some sort of auto merge or auto sync in Premiere 13 like in Pro?

Here is a screenshot. Thanks in advance.

[Asking in the correct forum helps... Moved from Premiere Pro to Premiere Elements... Mod]Screenshot (199).png

• 1. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
          A.T. Romano Level 7

os

First for the question about separating the video from its audio in the one file....

Did you open Video Track 2 and Audio Track 2 to see the representations of the video and audio component of the file on Video Track 2 and Audio Track 2?

and then

Right click the clip and select Unlink Audio and Video?

Or, did you hold down on the Alt key and drag the audio away from the video.

How are you trying to unlink the Video Track 2 video from its Audio Track 2 linked audio?

What are you using for manual audio video syncing - with audio clip selected

As you hold down the Alt key, tap right or left arrow key once (1 frame nudge/tap)

As you hold down the Shift+Alt keys, tap right or left arrow key once (5 frames nudge/tap)

or Other?

What version of Windows is involved with this Premiere Elements 13 project?

ATR

Add On...I never did get an answer to the following related question

Sync Linked Clips in Premiere Elements 11, 10, and 9.0/9.0.1

The document referenced in the above link is now showing an updated version of Sync Linked Clips and the description of what used to work is gone.

There is no Clip Menu/Merge Clips in Premiere Elements.

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Synchronizing audio and video with Merge Clips

• 2. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
            os31776508 Level 1

I am not using anything for manual syncing. That is why I asked. There is nothing from Adobe about it in any tutorial. Youtube has only Pro.

As for the unlinking, I thought I highlighted the PIP video and clicked on unlink. There is no audio track 2 as you can see in the screenshot above. I do not know how how to open video track 2 to see representations of components.

I am wondering why audio track 1 has to waveforms and the second video has none since both have audio attached.

I also do not see the first set of claps in the first audio. It shows the second set of claps from the camera PIP audio. Weird.

I want to use the camera PIP audio as a comparison and then remove it leaving only the audio on the main video.

I will try the alt key to unlink and to sync.

I am using 8.1.

• 3. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
              A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Thanks for the reply with additional information. Please excuse if you have been there and done all that which will be described. I did not want to take anything for granted.

When you open a new project Expert workspace, the Video 1 and Audio 1 present in the open configuration.

AudioTracks.JPG

The triangle to the extreme left of the track is pointed done for Video 1 Audio 1. The other numbered Video Audio tracks and as well as Narration and Soundtrack will present in the closed configuration, with the triangle to the extreme left of each of these tracks pointed to the right.

To open Video 2 and Audio 2, point the triangle for each down.

AudioTracks2.JPG

You can control what you see in the Timeline clip representation

a. Video Track Display Style - see filmstrip icon to the left of the video track name (4 possibilities when you toggle the icon)

b. Audio Track Display Style - see speaker icon to the left of the audio track name (2 possibilities when you toggle the icon - only one of the two displays the waveform).

Note: My Video 1 Audio 1 clip did not have sound. My Video 2 Audio 2 clip had Stereo 2 channel sound.

Also, if you double click the Timeline unlinked audio clip, you will get its Preview Windows to get a closer look at the waveform.

Please review and consider the above, and then let me know if I am targeting the type of information that you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                os31776508 Level 1

Okay. I just used alt and dragged. I got -22 on the video and +22 on the audio. Here is a screenshot.

I also opened the two and used unlink audio and video. This is also visible in the screenshot showing a video 2 waveform now.

I also tried alt and shift/alt to sync. Shift/alt moves better.

I still do not know what to do with these tools.

I am starting from the idea of comparing two waveforms. One from the camera PIP audio and one from the main audio and then deleting the camera audio and replacing it with the better audio from audio 1. I just do not know how to do this.

As I mentioned, audio 1 has two identical waveforms instead of one. I need to compare these to the waveform on audio 2 and then delete audio 2 leaving only audio one synced in the right place.

Is there an easier way?

Screenshot (200).png

• 5. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

os

I just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten about your questions and am working on a detailed reply.

Please confirm what you are using for the project preset? If you do not know, please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Setting/General.

Also, keeping your two source videos on Video 1/Audio 1 and Video 2/Audio 2, could you post a screenshot of the Audio Track 2 audio in the opened Audio Track 2 so that I can see the waveform that is presenting for what you are referring to as Mono audio. As I mentioned, the Audio Track Display Style can have two Styles, one with the waveform, one without. I just want to see the one with the waveform. If you see only a horizontal black line through the middle of the audio clip, then just click on the speaker icon to the left of the audio track name to change the Style to the waveform one.

To be continued....

ATR

• 6. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Premiere Pro, not Premiere Elements, has automatic means for synchronizing your external audio with your video.

Merge Clips (In Point, Out Point, Timecode) as well as Audio for using waveforms. I think watching the Premiere Pro tutorial may have directed you in paths that Premiere Elements does not have.

1. At this time, I think that you can see your clips on Video 1/Audio 1 and Video 2/Audio 2 now that they are in the opened configuration.

2. It appeared that you used claps for audio synchronization purposes. Have you identified the claps for both Video 1/Audio 1 and Video 2/Video 2.

Essentially line up those claps, using the Alt key arrow key tap nudges that I described. When you have the alignment as best possible, select the video and audio parts at the same time, go to Clip Menu/Group. That should be a shade of merge clips audio synchronization Expand the Timeline when necessary using the -+ slider above the Timeline.

3. Now, if there was a glitch in setting up those claps, then I am suggesting that you work out the following by trial and error with the movement of the clips. And, in what is to be described, you will align clip marker for Video 1/Audio 1 with clip marker for Video 2/Audio 2. Then the Clip Menu/Group to keep the audio video sync.

a. Double click the video on Video 1 to open its Preview Window.

OS-Audio-1.jpg

b. Move the Timeline Indicator to what would have been your lst clap. Where the X is in the screenshot, right click to bring up the menus that you see in the screenshot. In the Preview Window, set up Clip marker at that spot.

c. You will see them on the Timeline for video audio on Video 1/Audio 1. It should look like this

MergeClips.jpg

Repeat the same technique for establishing clip markers for the content from the external source.

The matter of waveform can get complex, and what you see will be influenced by the types and number of audio tracks described for the project preset that is being used by the project. If you have a project preset with 3 stereo tracks and you import Mono audio, the Mono audio waveform in the project can present looking like stereo (2 channels instead of 1).

Please try the above to determine if it works for you.

ATR

• 7. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                      os31776508 Level 1

Okay, here's the information. It was greyed out.

HD 1080i, 29.97 fps, 1920 and 1080, square pixels 1.0.

Here is a screenshot of the video two wave form. I do not know f it's in mono. It's the PIP camera audio.

I am working on syncing the claps.Screenshot (201).png

• 8. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Good morning.

Thanks for the replies.

Please right click the thumbnail for the PIP camera file in Project Assets. Then select Properties. In Properties, you should see audio properties including Mono, Stereo, or 6 channel (aka 5.1 channel).

ATR

• 9. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                          os31776508 Level 1
                          1. Okay. Source audio and project audio are both stereo.

Clip group is greyed out. That may be because I do not know how to highlight video and audio at the same time. Also, should I be highlighting video and audio for 1 or 2 or both?

I am not sure what you mean by a shade of merge clips audio synchronization.

I aligned the claps.

I put in a clip marker for video and audio 1 and video and audio 2, but they are rough as well.

On video and audio 1, I put the marker where I hear the claps, and on video and audio 2, I put the marker where I see the claps on screen. Was that correct?

I closed the windows and do not see the markers now. Is that wrong? I do not see the markers on the timeline.

Also, should I be using the set in or set out buttons?

Set out erases everything.

Clip group is still greyed out.

I am exporting to see how it is working so far.

Here are screenshots of rough alignment and clip markers.Screenshot (202).pngScreenshot (203).png

• 10. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Thanks for the reply.

If both of your sources Video 1 and Video 2 are shown in Properties with audio = stereo and you are in a project set with stereo tracks, you should see two waveforms as are appearing in your screenshot.

Setting Clip Marker in each of your two files was suggested if you had problems with the Claps to do the audio sync.

When you setting the Clip Marker as suggested in Preview Window, do not use the Preview Windows Set In and Set Out points.

The comment

That should be a shade of merge clips audio synchronization

was referring to the Premiere Pro merging of the finished clips so that they move as one and Premiere Elements Group command as a variant on that since it does not have the Premiere Pro Merge Clip for audio synchronization.

If you have Claps, then you do not need to set the Clip Markers in this example. Nonetheless, if you want them as a double check, a clip marker should be set at the Clap point if you have the Claps.

When you close the Preview Window, you should see the Clip Marker on the Timeline content at the point that you positioned it in Preview Window. Please refer to second screenshot in post 6.

In order for you to apply Clip Menu/Group, you need to select both clips at the same time, then go to Clip Menu/Group.

To select the two clips

a. Hold down the Shift key, and click each of the clips

or

b. With the mouse cursor, draw a rectangle around the clips to select both at the same time

ATR

• 11. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                              os31776508 Level 1
                              1. Okay. When I highlight both audios and both videos at the same time, I cannot open the preview windows to set the clip markers. I still cannot get clip markers on the timeline.

What is clip group for?

I exported without clip group, and everything seemed to work.

It seems like I might not need clip markers or clip group.

Also, when I click clip group first, I cannot double click to open preview windows and set markers.

One other mystery is that I hear only one audio. I do not know which one it is. I did not remove one. Did Premiere remove one. I see both on the timeline. Should I delete audio 2 anyway?

Is there an easier way to do this?

• 12. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

os

As I said before, if you have the Claps working for you, you do not need the Clip Markers.

Also, the Clip Menu/Group comes only after you have created the sync between the audio and the video. The Preview Windows is not opened then. The purpose of the Group (which comes after you have Timeline video audio sync) is to hold the sync'ed audio and its video together so that they move as one.

Consider, the Preview Window's contribution to all this was to set Clip Markers on the Timeline so that you could sync the clips on the Timeline, aligning Clip Markers there. The Preview Window is not open when you are doing that. It has played its part in all this and is closed.

I am not clear what is happening here

One other mystery is that I hear only one audio. I do not know which one it is. I did not remove one. Did Premiere remove one. I see both on the timeline. Should I delete audio 2 anyway?

My impression has been that you want to sync the video from Video 1 with the audio of Video 2. It is assumed that you are replacing the Video 1 audio with Video 2 audio. Consequently, are you....

Video Track 1

Audio Track 1......right clicking the file and selecting Delete Audio

and

Video Track 2

Audio Track 2....right clicking the file and selecting Delete Video

and then

synchronizing the resulting Video Track 1 video with the Audio Track 2 audio with the Claps?

ATR

• 13. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                                  os31776508 Level 1

I am not doing anything with the audio. I only here one audio, but I do not know which. I do not know why I do not hear both. Premiere must have deleted one even though I see both on the timeline. I was saying I might as well delete audio 2 which is the poor quality PIP camera audio. My biggest question now is how do you do this? Is there an easier way than syncing wave forms?

• 14. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                                    os31776508 Level 1

That is, I might as well delete audio 2 after syncing them. Audio 1 is good USB mic audio. Audio 2 is camera audio.

• 15. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Let us do some basic testing....

1. Given you have a file on each of Video 1/Audio 1 and Video 2/Audio 2 and in each case the Video is linked to its audio.

Click and drag the whole Video 2/Audio 2 file to the right away from Video 1/Audio 1 file.

2. These Timeline files each will play separately as the Timeline Indicator moves left to right after over the files after you hit the play button of the monitor.

Do you get sound for each, and what is the quality of the sound of each by comparison to the other.

3. If you do not hear sound in the clips, then select/highlight the Timeline clip with no sound, and go to Adjust Tab/Adjustments/Volume Panel. Expand the Volume Panel so that you can see the volume slider. Were is it set.....at 0 dB or other?

ATR

• 16. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                                        os31776508 Level 1

Haha. Both have audio. It was double tracked and I could not hear it I suppose since although it is from two different sources, it is the same voice synced up. I appreciate your help. I do not know why Adobe does not have a tutorial on this. I suppose we are just supposed to guess if no one on the forum knows. I suppose I can just delete audio 2. Is that correct? We are talking about the method I heard about elsewhere. Is there another method of syncing audio and video? Thanks again.

• 17. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good progress.

What I have described are the essentials of what you can do with Premiere Elements and audio video sync.

If you are not using the audio 2 (unlinked), then you can right click and delete it. But, depending on the structure of your Timeline, watch out for any ripple effects where removing the unwanted audio will result in other Timeline files moving. Just be sure that you have applied Group to your video and audio that you put in sync so that they stay together even if they should move in the Timeline. Then, if necessary, you can move them as one back in place. All this is a possibility. May not happen, depending on the structure of your Timeline.

More on the above if necessary.

ATR

• 18. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                                            os31776508 Level 1

Thanks. Will try it out on a longer video and most likely return with questions.

• 19. Re: 1st video track has two wave forms
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Thanks for the follow up.

And, thank you for exploring the troubleshooting. Appreciated.

Best wishes with your projects moving forward.

ATR