9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 1:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error

walts544460

I've been using Premiere Elements 7 for a few years. Today, it crashed with a fatal error. I get the same error message if I turn off my computer and try to open saved or auto-saved versions.  I uninstalled elements 7 and reinstalled it from a disk (3 times now). When I try to continue editing, I get an "Error 1" message and reinstall it (again, and again, and again)  How do I fix this problem? 

I only use this computer for video editing and it has never been connected to the internet.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error
          A.T. Romano Level 7

walts

What computer operating system is involved? Please consider what is applicable to your particular situation.

How did you reinstall and activate Premiere Elements 7 without being connected to the Internet during the install?

Suggestion...

Uninstall the program the usual Control Panel way.

Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstall reinstalls from Adobe and non Adobe products. CCleaner - Download

Reinstall the program with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Go through the usual drill...

a. Latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements, and are you running the programs as administrator?

b. Does the problem exist with and without antivirus and firewalls disabled?

c. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or manufacturer of the computer?

d. Are these fatal crashes happening just trying to open the program from the Desktop icon or later when you are in an opened project?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error
            walts544460 Level 1

Thank you very much for your response ! ! !

I made typo.  I am using Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7.  It has been operating satisfactorily for several years.  I have several computers and I guess that I’m somewhat paranoid about updates and apps being loaded onto this computer, so the computer in question has never been connected to the internet.  Nothing has changed on the software or hardware over the past few years since I bought the computer..

I have uninstalled the existing Premiere Elements 10 via the uninstall option in the control panel.  I then re-installed it using factory CDs. – three times.

The problem is that when I load the last saved version of the project or any f the 8 or so auto-saved versions , I get an error message: Premiere Elements has encountered an error .  There is a an option to Continue.  Clicking on Continue yields a message ~ Serious error, elements needs to close.

Since writing my email/post, I found that I can satisfactorily load and edit previous projects.  I can also load all of the media files that are in the project that I was working on (about 2.5 hours of 1920 x 1080), but not the project.  The problem seems too be with the saved project.

Not sure what to do. The input video files are Ok.  I just don’t want to loose a week’s worth of editing effort.

COMPUTER SPECS:

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Processor:  Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

RAM:  12 GB  DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module - Kingston HyperX

Video Card:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 - 1GB   2 x DVI, 1 x S-Video

Motherboard:  Asus Sabertooth X85/CH10R

Boot Hard Drive:  1 TB,  16MB Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s SATA-2  Hitachi HDS721010CLA332

Data Hard Drive:  Dual 1TB Drives (2 TB Total)  in RAID 0 High Performance   Hitachi HDS721010CLA332

Optical Drive:   LG BLU-RAY Re-Writer, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive  BLU-RAY Burner

Sound Card:  SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audioo  3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card:  Onboard GB LAN Network

Media Card::  12 in 1 InternalFlash Media Card Reader/Writer

Power Supply:  800 Watt Xion

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error
              A.T. Romano Level 7

walts

Thanks for the follow up with very important troubleshooting information.

Lots to sort through, but you sent up a flare when you mentioned Premiere Elements 10 on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card.

There is a long standing serious issue specific to Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce. And, the fix is not to update the card driver to the latest version, but rather to roll back the driver to May 2013. The history and fix (if possible) is described in the following.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

There is a link in the above for searching for the older NVIDIA GeForce driver version for your card, if you do not already have it. Some of the computer operating systems do not have old enough card driver versions to resolve this type of issue. In that scenario, one answer may be to look on your computer for the older driver if the driver has been updated somehow.

If your computer is not connected to the Internet, how do you get updates for your video card/graphics card as well as for QuickTime 7?

What is the dating on your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285. That is the critical issue to rule in or out. QuickTime latest version is 7.7.8. What version do you have installed? Second critical issue.

Let us rule these factors in or out and then decide if these solve the problem. If not, then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error
                walts544460 Level 1

I think I solved my problem ! ! !  The solution was to click on “Window”, then on “Restore Workspace”.  So far, so good with recovering my Project and the hours spent getting it to this point in editing 2+ hours of video.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error
                  walts544460 Level 1

I forgot to include THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! !    for your efforts to helping me to resolve my problem.  It is very much appreciated.

If you get to a Starbucks in San Mateo, CA, I’ll buy coffee and a muffin.

Walt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

walts

Wonderful news. Always glad to learn of problem gone.

However, I am not seeing how Window Menu/Restore Workspace would have an affect on the Premiere Elements fatal error. I have not seen that before.

And, there is the still opened question about your Premiere Elements 10 running on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card. Unless your card driver version is about May 2013, then that would be expected to stop you from running your projects.

But, your program is working for you. Great job on the follow through.

If the problem returns (hope not), we can visit the matter as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

walts

I did not see your post numbered 5 until after I posted post 6.

Knowing that you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects is all that matters. But, I will think about a virtual cup of coffee and virtual muffin.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error
                        walts544460 Level 1

I’m also happy to to see my problem fixed, although I don’t know exactly why it was fixed.

My computer has been running the NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card since I bought the computer and Adobe software in May 2008;

It has not been connected to the internet for updates – EVER.  I wanted it to work for video editing just as it did when I bought it.  I have several other computers that I use for for usual, mundane activities.

Thanks again.

Walt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements crashed with a fatal error
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Walt

Thanks for the added information on your Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce. I suspect that your card driver version date is older (probably May 2013 or earlier) and that it is saving you from the display issue that is specific to Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce and requires a driver version roll back as the fix. Do not let any automatic driver updates upset the good place that you are in now.

Best wishes

ATR