3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 5:39 PM by Mohit Goyal

Smart Previews no longer Working

Funke910

I'm using Lightroom 5. I have a catalog of about 9000 images that I keep backup up on external hard drives  I back up my LR catalog after each use.  Tonight after doing some editing and disconnecting my hard drive I opened back up LR.  Normally when I eject my HD I can view all of my images through smart previews.  Now I have 9000 small gray boxes with exclamation points in them saying "missing file".  When I plug my HD back in all my images come back and it looks completely normal.  When I look at my backup folder I see this:Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 11.48.31 PM.png

Has my smart preview file somehow become disconnected from my catalog?  Any ideas on why this might have started?  I'm not extremely tech savvy, so this very well could be user error, but i've been using the LR since edition 3 and feel very comfortable with it and have never done anything like this before. 

Thanks so much! 

• 1. Re: Smart Previews no longer Working
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Funke,

You can create Smart Preview files on demand. Select the files for which you want Smart Previews, and then click Library > Previews > Build Smart Previews.

Related Link: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Smart Previews

(look for Creating Smart Preview)

Let us know if it helps.

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Smart Previews no longer Working
            Funke910 Level 1

Mohit,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm glad to know I can rebuild my smart preview library and might end up doing that tonight.  But, why would this happen all of a sudden?  Is it possible to delete all your smart previews or to disassociate them with your library? When I look at my lightroom folder it looks like I have a 6.1 gig file that should contain my smart previews.  Is it possible to relink that with my catalogue or do I need to start from scratch.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Smart Previews no longer Working
              Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Funke,

You can rename that existing folder by adding ".old" in the name and then rebuild the Smart Preview for all the Images.

When you rebuild the smart preview, it will give you the option to rebuild the Smart Preview for all the Images which would not take much efforts.once you finish doing it, you will see another folder for Smart Preview in the Lightroom folder.

Then you can delete the older folder with size of 6.1 GB to clear some space from the Hard drive.

~Mohit

1 person found this helpful