12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 1:54 PM by altonmarsh

Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.

altonmarsh

PS6 willl not read raw files from my canon g3x even though it is updated. Lightroom 6 will read canon g3x raw.

• 1. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What precise version of Camera Raw are you running with PS-CS6?

Use PS / (Win: Help /) About Plug-in / Camera Raw to find out.

• 2. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.
            altonmarsh Level 1

I see I am using Camera Raw 8.8.0.397.  I have clicked on updates about 20 times in the past few days and no updates come up--just a Cloud window telling me I have PS6.

I Googled Adobe Camera Raw 2015 and found 9.1 in "Lightroom Journal." I installed and now I do have Camera Raw in PS6. I see in Camera Raw under camera profiles the G3X is not listed, but at least I can work on the photo in Camera Raw.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.
              altonmarsh Level 1

I also noticed that Photoshop Elements 13’s raw file had not updated past 9.0, so I copied the camera raw plug-in out of PS6 and copied it into PSE13. I earlier thought PSE13 raw was seeing my raw files from my Canon G3 X but apparently I had opened a jpeg accidentally and thought it was a raw file. I discovered later the raw files were not opening. They do now.

• 4. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.

This is typical of Elements’ ACR updates.  The new Elements is due out late summer so work apparently ceases on regression testing the one from the previous year’s in the spring, when ACR 9.0 came out, and Adobe would rather not issue an update than issue one they haven’t tested, or so it seems, anyway.  Luckily the newer updates aren’t blocked so manual updating is possible, and if you didn’t have Photoshop, then you could extract the plug-in out of the manual installer archive.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.
                  altonmarsh Level 1

Thanks. I copied the one I found in my CD6 and pasted it directly into my PSE13. Hope nothing blows up.  Surprised in CS6 not to see the Canon G3 X pop up in the camera profiles in the newest raw, though.

• 6. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.
                    altonmarsh Level 1

Meant to say I copied the raw plug in found in my CS6 into PSE13—not CD6. Seems to have worked, although I thought there would be a new camera profile in there for my new Canon G3X. At least I can now see raw from the G3X.

• 7. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.

Are you copying the plug-in from another computer or the same one Elements is on?

If it’s a different computer then the other step is to install the DNG Converter onto the same computer you copied the plug-in file to, so the camera and lens profile will also be installed.  You can get the DNG Converter, here:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

• 8. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.
                        altonmarsh Level 1

I have both PS6 and PSE13 on the same iMac. I copied raw from PS6 to PSE13. Thanks for the tip on the DNG converter. Hopefully it sounds like I don’t need it. I read someone lost resolution going through DNG.

• 9. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.

I wasn't saying to run the newest DNG Converter and create DNGs, only install it, because the install process will put all the newest profiles in place.

I see these G3 X profiles on my Windows computer with ACR 9.1.1 installed:

Directory of C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard

07/22/2015  01:20 AM           120,698 Canon PowerShot G3 X Adobe Standard.dcp

Directory of C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Canon PowerShot G3 X

07/22/2015  01:20 AM           278,114 Canon PowerShot G3 X Camera Faithful.dcp
                          07/22/2015  01:20 AM           278,116 Canon PowerShot G3 X Camera Landscape.dcp
                          07/22/2015  01:20 AM           278,116 Canon PowerShot G3 X Camera Monochrome.dcp
                          07/22/2015  01:20 AM           278,114 Canon PowerShot G3 X Camera Neutral.dcp
                          07/22/2015  01:20 AM           278,114 Canon PowerShot G3 X Camera Portrait.dcp
                          07/22/2015  01:20 AM           278,114 Canon PowerShot G3 X Camera Standard.dcp

Are you saying they aren't on your computer or by "profiles" are you talking about something else you're not seeing?

• 10. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.
                            altonmarsh Level 1

When I go into camera raw and  try to apply lens correction, I don’t see the g3 X. Thanks for the information.

• 11. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.

So you're talking about lens profiles not camera profiles.

Mirrorless cameras have built-in lens profiles, nowadays.  Because the camera automatically corrects JPGs for lens issues in camera, Adobe also automatically corrects for lens issues.

In PS-CC and LR 6/CC 2015 there is an indication in the lower area of the lens corrections area if a built-in profile is being used.  Opening a sample G3X image I found on the internet, there is such info displayed in PS-CC/ACR 9.1.1:

• 12. Re: Camera raw not reading canon g3x raw files.
                                altonmarsh Level 1

Thanks again. Very helpful.—Al Marsh, Frederick MD