6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 11:35 AM by Jeffrey Saldinger

Moving Aperture library to Lightroom CC 2015 added numbers to the end of some file names

Jeffrey Saldinger

I just moved a small Aperture library to Lightroom using the plug-in in Lr CC.  Everything worked as expected, with the exception that some (not all) file names came into Lr with a number added to the end of the file name as it had existed in Aperture (in this Aperture library, the file names and version names were identical).  I'd be grateful for an explanation how this came about.  It was not anything I read about in preparing for the move, and before I move my main Aperture library to Lr, I’d like to do what I can to be sure that doesn’t happen again.  Thanks in advance…

Message was edited by: Jeffrey Saldinger -- just a small correction, to add a word I left out

• 1. Re: Moving Aperture library to Lightroom CC 2015 added numbers to the end of some file names
          sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Jeffrey,

Lightroom might have created another copy of the images and change its name by adding numbers at the end.

Please tick the below mentioned option for the next time you are going to import from aperture so that Lightroom will references to same files.

Screenshot 2014-10-17 09.00.10

Screenshot 2014-10-17 09.00.23

For more information please check the below link: http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-beg in/

Please let us know if it helps.

Regards

Sarika

• 2. Re: Moving Aperture library to Lightroom CC 2015 added numbers to the end of some file names
            Jeffrey Saldinger Level 1

Thank you for your prompt reply Sarika. I did not have any reference files in the Aperture library in question and therefore thought it natural to leave unchecked the option your large arrow points to.  Do you think that checking that box even when all the files are managed is recommended?  Would leaving that box unchecked lead to the anomalous behavior I observed?

At the risk of giving you more information than is helpful here, I put the new Lr cat as well as copies of the files onto a new external drive dedicated to Lr versions of my Ap libraries.

• 3. Re: Moving Aperture library to Lightroom CC 2015 added numbers to the end of some file names

Thank you for your prompt reply Sarika. I did not have any reference files in the Aperture library in question and therefore thought it natural to leave unchecked the option your large arrow points to.  Do you think that checking that box even when all the files are managed is recommended?  Would leaving that box unchecked lead to the anomalous behavior I observed?

At the risk of giving you more information than is helpful here, I put the new Lr cat as well as copies of the files onto a new external drive dedicated to Lr versions of my Ap libraries.

Best,

Jeffrey

www.jeffreysaldinger.com

• 4. Re: Moving Aperture library to Lightroom CC 2015 added numbers to the end of some file names

Hello, Sarika.

I’m sorry that I erred in saying there were no referenced files; there were some.  There was an ambiguity in some notes I reviewed, and I was careless about one step.  I regret the confusion this may have caused you.

But that addition of a number to the file name did happen to managed files.

Again, apologies for my error.

Best,

Jeffrey

www.jeffreysaldinger.com

• 5. Re: Moving Aperture library to Lightroom CC 2015 added numbers to the end of some file names
                  sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Alright, If you don't have any reference files please do not check that box.

It might be possible then you already have files with same name in Lightroom and thus Lightroom has created duplicate files with an number as an extension.

So would you please give a check in Lightroom if you have duplicates files by any chance.

~Sarika

• 6. Re: Moving Aperture library to Lightroom CC 2015 added numbers to the end of some file names

Thank you, Sarika, for staying with this.

I perhaps should have added earlier that the numbers that were added to the file names were not of the sort that indicate copies of previously-existing files, but were 3- or 4-digit suffixes.  One looked like this:  JPS_140414_0741_BW_Mstr_2576 (my original file name stopped at "Mstr").

I did notice that one image with the same "root" file name (i.e.., as "JPS_xxxxxx_zzzz_Mstr" above) appears three times, each with a different 3- or 4-number suffix. And there were pairs of images that followed a similar pattern.

In making this Ap liby originally, I wanted it only to use the Aperture's light table function to curate some of my own work.  I was exporting from my master Lr cat small jpegs with different dimensions at different times and, for a given image, sometimes the exported file would have the same name, sometimes not, depending on aspects of my workflow that seem irrelevant to the current discussion.

So I gather from what you've said and what I know about my workflow that Lr did in fact add a numerical suffix to make a unique file name for two files with the same name I had exported at different times and at different dimensions (sometimes fitting, e.g. into 640x640, sometimes 320x320).

To think this is what what was happening would certainly satisfy my wondering about what I observed, but I'd value knowing why the numerical suffixes added by Lr had such an apparent randomness and weren't simpler.

The new "receiving" Lr cat had no files in it prior to moving the Ap library.  It was a new Lr cat made as a test to receive the Ap library (which had only a few hundred small jpegs).  The image files went into a folder on an empty external drive.

I hope I've provided an optimum amount of useful information here, and a minimum amount of useless.

Appreciatively,

Jeffrey