4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2015 8:42 AM by A.T. Romano

Top and Tail Editing

RFSLeander Level 1

Hi all,

I have just learned about "Top and Tail" editing for montages and would love to try it out on Premiere Elements. (Top and Tail is where you cut off the beginning and end of a video clip, leaving just a middle section. It's much quicker than the usual method of trimming the front and then trimming the back.)

In Premiere the key commands are the letters "q" for the front of the edit and "w" for the back. I've tried those in Elements but no go. So is there a way to do the same thing in our favorite program?

Thanks

RS

• 1. Re: Top and Tail Editing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is sort of what the Favorite Moments tool is for. You use it to select the segment you want to keep.

But there is no tool that automatically chops off the beginning and end of a clip in Premiere Elements that I know of.

• 2. Re: Top and Tail Editing
            A.T. Romano Level 7

RS

I am strictly and Elements users, but I do have access to Premiere Pro 2.0 on occasion.

Both Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and Premiere Pro 2.0 have the same keyboard shortcut and associated command for

Go to In Point (Q)

and

Go to Out Point (W)

and both respond the same way, that is,

Q takes you to the beginning of the Timeline 00;00;00;00

W takes you to the end of the Timeline content for the Timeline Video Audio tracks.

I see no evidence that Q is removing content to the left of the Timeline Indicator or W is removing content from the right of the Timeline Indicator.

Have you actually gotten this to work for Premiere Pro (any version)?

I will search to determine if there is a keyboard modifier that needs to go with Q or W.

To be continued....

ATR

• 3. Re: Top and Tail Editing
              RFSLeander Level 1

Thanks for your help, as always. Well, I've been working on it a little bit too. First, it looks like the "q" and "w" commands have only been instantiated in the later version of Premiere CC and CS6.

I've found I can get almost the same results by double clicking on a clip in the timeline to call up the clip viewer and then setting in and out points using "i" and "o" keystrokes. That seems to trim the clip in the right way. Now I just need to figure out how to get it to ripple together.

• 4. Re: Top and Tail Editing
                A.T. Romano Level 7

RFSLeander

Thanks for the update. if you are after the chop off beginning and/or chop off end

Consider....if you double click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets to bring up the file's Preview Window

If you had a file ABCD and only wanted BC, you could Set In point and Set Out point to isolate BC and then drag it to the Timeline or drag it into Project Assets to be part of source media for the project

You can get the principles about Preview Windows and this from

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

Not sure if it will fit into your plans, but once you get that trim on the Timeline, you can drag the edges of that clip to recover the whole clip at the Timeline level.

Please consider to determine if any of the above fits into what you want to do in the project.

Thanks.

ATR