7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 5:17 AM by dj_paige

Saving lightroom development settings

cpgilles Level 1

I have a question about saving the development settings in Lightroom CC 2015 once you delete a photograph from the catalog. My workflow is all done in camera raw. Although I have not been using it in the past I always assumed that an .XMP file would save all of the development adjustments, keywords, flags etc. Now that I have tried it I see that that is not true.  It seems to save the development settings but if you delete the photograph and then re-import it -  it opens with the correct adjustments but you cannot modify any of the past adjustments.  It also does not retrieve the flags ratings or color settings.

Is there a way to do this? I normally like to keep my catalog small by deleting photographs I don't intend to use on a regular basis but I may want to bring them back make some further adjustments and then save them again I was hoping that saving and XMP sidecar file would allow me to do that but it only appears to save the Metadata not the development adjustment settings. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Saving lightroom development settings
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Cpgilles,

XMP files saves the edits, adjustments and ratings.

Please follow the steps to enable Lightroon to write changes in XMP.

> Open Lightroom

> Click on Edit > Catalog Settings (in Windows) or Lightroom > Catalog Settings (in Mac).

> Click on Metadata Tab

> Check Automatically write changes into XMP.

Catalog settings.PNG

Once you have the XMP file created, you can remove the image from the catalog.

Next time, whenever you will import the same file and if the XMP file is present, you will be able to find the adjustments and ratings for the images.

Hope this helps

~Mrinmay

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Saving lightroom development settings
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

As an alternative solution, you might consider exporting the images to another catalog so that the edit histories are kept.

While there is no need to keep your catalog small, you might just use multiple catalogs. For example, while all my personal photos are in one catalog, for my sports and events photography I use a new catalog each year so that the catalog can be archived with the with the photos.

• 3. Re: Saving lightroom development settings
              elie-d Level 4
              I normally like to keep my catalog small by deleting photographs I don't intend to use on a regular basis but I may want to bring them back make some further adjustments and then save them again I was hoping that saving and XMP sidecar file would allow  me to do that

I fail to see the logic. Surely it is not only more efficient to have all the pertinent data in one catalog file  (well, two - working catalog and backup) than scattered in thousands of xmp files in countless folders. Do you also backup the xmps? That doubles their number.

If and when you want to  return to one of those photos you will not be able to use LR's search tools, but rather need to use some other means to locate it and then import it again, taking care that it remains in the original folder together with the pertinent xmp and after importation apply the xmp data (Metadata/Read Metadata From File). And against this, what do you gain? If there is any net decrease in drive space used (which I doubt), it is only because the xmp records less data than the catalog - the same develop metadata is there, but Lightroom specific data such as collection membership is not. Moreover, there is no reason to suppose that working in LR from a smaller catalog is in any way faster - after the initial locating of the photo file in the catalog and application of develop data from it, LR works with data from the Camera Raw Cache folder and only writes to the catalog new edits.

If the issue is that the previews are occupying too much disc space,  if full-sized previews are only made as needed and discarded regularly (e.g., once a week) all the previews for a catalog of 100,000 photos can be held in less than $10 - 15 worth of drive space.

• 4. Re: Saving lightroom development settings
                dj_paige Level 9

cpgilles wrote:

I have a question about saving the development settings in Lightroom CC 2015 once you delete a photograph from the catalog. My workflow is all done in camera raw. Although I have not been using it in the past I always assumed that an .XMP file would save all of the development adjustments, keywords, flags etc. Now that I have tried it I see that that is not true.  It seems to save the development settings but if you delete the photograph and then re-import it -  it opens with the correct adjustments but you cannot modify any of the past adjustments.  It also does not retrieve the flags ratings or color settings.

Is there a way to do this? I normally like to keep my catalog small by deleting photographs I don't intend to use on a regular basis but I may want to bring them back make some further adjustments and then save them again I was hoping that saving and XMP sidecar file would allow me to do that but it only appears to save the Metadata not the development adjustment settings. Any help would be appreciated.

I think you'll find (or you have already found) that Lightroom was not designed to be used this way. Since you say "any help would be appreciated", my advice, similar to the above, is to use Lightroom as it was intended and you won't have these problems. The act of deleting photos is what causes you to lose information, and simply creates extra work for you. Not deleting photos is less work and ensures you don't lose this information. The idea of keeping catalogs small also runs against the idea behind the design of Lightroom ... you want Lightroom to be the tool by which you find all of your photos and by which you browse all of your photos. There is no advantage to small catalogs and no disadvantage to large catalogs, when used properly.

• 5. Re: Saving lightroom development settings
                  cpgilles Level 1

Thanks for all the great responses.  I guess I need to rethink my workflow.

• 6. Re: Saving lightroom development settings
                    cpgilles Level 1

Mrinmay,

I tried this and do have "Automatically write changes to XPM file checked".  I deleted the photos and re-imported them and the photos where correct with the adjustments but the adjustment settings were not shown.  They were all reset to default positions.  Also the flags were not set as they were before I deleted them.  I will try again to make sure I did not miss anything but I do not believe it worked.  Your answer is what I assumed would happen.  Most responses are suggesting I not delete the files and leave them in the catalog.  I may need to rethink this workflow solution but I wish the XMP solution would work.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Saving lightroom development settings
                      dj_paige Level 9

cpgilles wrote:

Mrinmay,

I tried this and do have "Automatically write changes to XPM file checked".  I deleted the photos and re-imported them and the photos where correct with the adjustments but the adjustment settings were not shown.  They were all reset to default positions.  Also the flags were not set as they were before I deleted them.  I will try again to make sure I did not miss anything but I do not believe it worked.  Your answer is what I assumed would happen.  Most responses are suggesting I not delete the files and leave them in the catalog.  I may need to rethink this workflow solution but I wish the XMP solution would work.

No you did not miss anything. XMP does not contain all of the information in the catalog, and a partial list of things that are in your catalog but not stored in XMP is:

• pick flags
                      • collection membership
                      • edit steps
                      • virtual copies
                      • books you have created
                      • web pages you have created
                      • slideshows you have created