4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 5:43 AM by winterho1

Lightroom constantly wants to save to XMP

winterho1

Hello there,

Lightroom constantly shows an icon to save to XMP's, although I have disabled the feature in the Catalog Settings and there are no XMP's in the folder.

What am I doing wrong?
      Maybe someone can help .

Best regards!
      winterho

Lightroom_1.jpg

Lightroom_2.jpg

• 1. Re: Lightroom constantly wants to save to XMP
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

To my knowledge XMP files are always created for RAW files that data can't be written directly to the file itself like it can for DNG, JPG and TIF. This happen on import whether or not that option is checked. So although you might not be seeing XMP filee they very well may exist. Your OS might be hiding them from view.

• 2. Re: Lightroom constantly wants to save to XMP
            sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi winterho1

As you have not checked the "automatically write changes to XMP" box, that will help you not to sync your metadata changes automatically to your RAW images.

But if you will make any changes to the metadata of any file in Lightroom you will get that upside down arrow which "indicates unsaved metadata changes made to the photo in Lightroom" and would ask you to write the changes as well.

Because by default Lightroom metadata is saved to the catalog file. For Camera Raw, Photoshop, and Adobe Bridge to view changes to Lightroom metadata, including Develop module adjustment settings, metadata changes must be saved to XMP in Lightroom. When you save metadata to a raw file, the changes are saved in an XMP sidecar file. With other file types, the metadata is saved in the file itself.

For more information please check the below link:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Advanced metadata actions

Please let us know if it helps.

Regards

Sarika

• 3. Re: Lightroom constantly wants to save to XMP
              DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "To my knowledge XMP files are always created for RAW files that data can't be written directly to the file itself like it can for DNG, JPG and TIF. This happen on import whether or not that option is checked. So although you might not be seeing XMP filee they very well may exist. Your OS might be hiding them from view."

Lightroom by default writes all the adjustments and info you do to the "Catalog File". Lightroom does not write to .xmp files unless you specifically select this option. For your Lightroom workflow the info is in the Catalog not in the file.

When you are working in Lightroom, it reads and writes to the Catalog File.

I work with Lightroom specifically because to does not create .xmp files. MY info is in the Catalog file, which I backup regularly. I also use PS but I do not use Adobe Camera Raw. I work with my raw files  in Lightroom alone

• 4. Re: Lightroom constantly wants to save to XMP
                winterho1 Level 1

Thanks for your response.

This means that you have all 3 lines with a down arrow next to the thumbnails, regardless of whether you activated or deactivated 'automatically saving to xmp'?