9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2007 2:41 PM by Rick Reilly

Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player

jaimon_jaimon Level 1
      hi, i have installed the new flash player and now when debuging i get

"Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player. You may need to install Flash Player 9.0 or reinstall Flex Builder. Do you want to try to run your application with the current version?"

i have installed/removed but with no luck...
      any ideas???
      Jaimon
        • 1. Re: Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player
          Hey,
          Just wondering if you found a solution for this???
          Thanks
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player
            peterent Level 2
            I just got a new computer and installed our software on it and had the same problem. So it just isn't customers that have problems! It was really, really frustrating, as I'm sure you've found out.

I don't know what caused the problem: the Flex Builder 3 I installed perhaps or the various Flash Players I loaded.

I did re-install Flex Builder. Didn't solve the problem, but it led me to purge all the previously built SWFs and rebuild everything. In the project that had the problem, the rebuild wouldn't delete the main SWF file. Hmmm. I would up rebooting the machine, deleting the SWF and rebuilding the project.

One thing I did was check which set of Flex SWCs I was using. The project in question happened to be using LCDS and was using the rpc and fds SWCs from the SDK. When I replaced these with the versions from the LCDS WEB-INF/flex/libs directory, things went fine.

As I said, I'm not sure what combination of things was the problem, but I believe the mixed SWCs were the issue, but haven't gone back to verify it. Or it could be that I swapped out the Flash Players from Flex 3 to Flex Builder 2. I now have Flex 3 using IE and Flex 2 using Firefox.

If you are using LCDS, look at your Project's build path and make sure the SWCs come from LCDS (using the SWCs from the SDK with FDS is fine).

Delete everything in the bin directory re-build.

If you've got more than copy of Flex (eg, Flex 3 and Flex 2), use different web browsers.

Let us know what happens.
            • 3. Re: Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player
              Hi Peter,
              Yes I'm still finding it very frustrating... the problem is still occuring. Its occuring on my colleagues machine - my own machine is working fine.
              We have uninstalled FDS2, the Flash Player and Flex Builder and re-installed them all again. I did experience the problem you mentioned where the bin folder was not being cleared and I deleted the contents manually but it didn't make a difference. We are running one copy of FDS2 (no LCDS) and I have checked the path to the SWC files and they seem fine - they are the same as my own set up.
              I'm running out of ideas at this stage so any help is much appreciated.
              Thanks,
              Orla
              • 4. Re: Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player
                screwThisProcess
                I am hitting this too and so far have wasted all morning with no luck.

I'm using Eclipse 3.2, Flex Builder 2.0.1.

The error I get is:

quote:

Flash Player Not Found

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player. You may need to install Flash Player 9.0 or reinstall Flex Builder. Do you want to try to run your application with the current version?

I don't know what changed (maybe Windows Update?). I have re-installed the Flash 9 debug player for IE and Netscape several times with no avail. I can't re-install Flex Builder because it insists it's already installed in my eclipse directory, even when I remove the obvious folders (com.adobe.flexbuilder.) that I found in the plug-ins and configuration subdirectories.

I did find this worthless knowledge base article:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=758bf58b&sliceId=2

which basically says "keep trying to reinstall Flash".

I don't know what to try next. Couldn't install Flex onto Eclipse 3.3 and I don't see a way to install just the Player from the Flex Builder installer :-(.
                • 5. Re: Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player
                  Rick Reilly
                  I'm having the same problem. Installed the latest version of the Flash Debug player (9.0.47.0) and now Flex is giving me the same message. This is infuriating.

Message reads:

Flash Player Not Found

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player. You may need to install Flash Player 9.0 or reinstall Flex Builder. Do you want to try to run your application with the current version?
                  • 6. Re: Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player
                    We managed to resolve our problem by doing the following (although not sure this solution will resolve everyone elses problem):

- Removed Firefox.
                    - Set IE as the default browser.
                    - Reinstalled the latest debug version of Flash Player from:
                    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html#fp9

• 7. Re: Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player
                      Iceborer Level 1
                      Why this is quite annoying, isn't it. I'm still trying to find a solution to the problem, but from a Flex standpoint you shouldn't have to remove Mozilla form the system or change system settings. I was able to get rid of the error by selecting a different browser in Eclipse/FB. I use the plug-in version and did the following: (Menu) Windows>Preferences>General>Web Browser check "Internet Explorer" and say OK.

Of course, that didn't get me debugging in FF as I want to, but that is enough to get rid of the message if you don't mind using IE.

Adam
                      • 8. Re: Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player
                        Iceborer Level 1
                        I'll leave it up to the Adobe folks to figure out where the bad reference to the Flash DLL that makes FB choke is coming from, but the workaround is apparently as simple as copying the file in question from it's Windows directory home to the place FB expects to find it.

Copy NPSWF32.dll from C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

To give credit where it's due, go this from http://nwebb.co.uk/blog/?p=43
                        • 9. Re: Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player
                          Rick Reilly Level 1
                          Thanks, Iceborer! This fix worked beautifully. Just copy NPSWF32.dll over to where Flex wants it to be and your problems are solved.

For the record, I absolutely refuse to use IE as my default browser for anything unless my life depends on it, and as Iceborer pointed out, it's totally unnecessary in this case.