16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 11:53 AM by 1MickMick

Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6

Stephen1128 Level 1

I'm not getting something regarding how to set the Custom Label (the white color label) for a group of photos.  The last discussion that I found on this was back in 2010 with LR4.  I have a group of photos in a shoot that I want to set the Custom Label to.  Any of the other color labels can be set by right clicking the photo (or group of photos) and pointing to the 'Set Color Label' and then selecting the color.  The Custom Label does not show up in the selection process.  What am I missing here?

• 1. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Stephen,

Please find below the step by steps instructions for creating custom labels in Lightroom.

Edit and Save a Color Label Set

1. Choose Color Label Set from the Metadata menu and select Edit. ...
          2. Choose a Color Label Set from the Preset drop-down list. ...
          3. Enter new text in the respective color fields. ...
          4. From the Preset menu, choose Save Current Settings as New Preset. ...
          5. Enter a name for the preset and click Create.

Related link for Screenshots: Creating a Custom Color Label Set | Organizing Images in the Photoshop Lightroom 4 Library | Que

Let us know if it helps.

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
            Stephen1128 Level 1

Thank you Mohit for your response.  The procedure you describe I believe that I understand.  I'm not wanting to change any of the color label including the white Custom Label.  So I'm using the default Lightroom 6 existing preset.  It looks to me like the Custom Label is already set up as I see it in the color label selection filter tool.  However, unlike the other five color labels I cannot seem to assign it to a single or group of photos.  That's what is puzzling me.  Do I need to create my own duplicate set of color labels to access the Custom Label?

Stephen

• 3. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
              Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Please check the below link.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Flag, label, and rate photos

(Check from set labels and color groups )

~Mohit

• 4. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                Stephen1128 Level 1

i've been here several times today among other places. 

"In the Library module, do one of the following:

• Select one or more photos in the Grid view, or select a single photo in the Filmstrip in Loupe, Compare, or Survey view. Then, choose Photo > Set Color Label and choose a label from the submenu. If more than one photo is selected in the Filmstrip in Loupe, Compare, or Survey view, the label is applied only to the active photo."

This procedure works for the first five color labels:  i.e. Red Yellow Blue Green Purple.  It also works for the grey 'None' color label.   The next color label is the white one which is labeled "Custom Label"  I cannot find a way to utilize that preset for a single photo or group of photos.    Though it does show up in the Filter toolbar, it never shows up as a selection when assigning a color label to a photo or group of photos. 

I've been searching for an answer to this most of the day including on Adobe's forums and my Kelby LR6 book.  This particular Custom Label issue doesn't appear to have documentation as to how to use it.  I haven't found any other queries along this line which makes me think I'm doing something obviously wrong here.

Stephen

• 5. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                  Stephen1128 Level 1

Here is a screen shot about what I'm talking about.  I notice that this thread has been labeled as answer correctly - it has not.  I'm still trying to get this figured out.

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 10.10.45 PM (2).png

It is that white color label button that I want to utilize.  It is not among the color label choice to assign.  It only shows up in the color label filter bar.

• 6. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you hover your cursor/pointer over the White square it says it is to Show Pictures with a Custom Label Set. If you haven't defined a Custom Label set with the color White then you can't set that color label or view images with that color label.

By default White is not a choice for a color label. You have to first define it as one and save it as a new Preset.

• 7. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                      Stephen1128 Level 1

Thanks for you help Shootistbond007 - I have created a custom preset which, if I'm understanding correctly, will include all the color labels.  Thus far it looks like creating a new preset only redefines the five base color labels with the new text.  I think that what you are saying is that the white custom color label does not show up in the preset because it has not been defined.  But where does it get defined so that I can add it to my custom color label preset.

I went back and took another look at the links that mogoyal sent me and I do not see a procedure for defining that white custom color label. 

Stephen

• 8. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I'm not on a computer that has Lightroom so I can check the steps. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• 9. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                          Stephen1128 Level 1

Quite alright!  I'm still working on it.  I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing.  Can't help but think the problem is with me missing something that is staring me right i the face! :-)

• 10. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                            Stephen1128 Level 1

By George I think I finally got it!  Trick is to edit the Metadata IPTC presets.  Right click on an image and select Metadata Preset then Edit Presets at the bottom of the menu.  Fill in the Label field in the Basic IPTC section at the very top and anything else you'd like to include.  Then Create/Save the preset.  That added a 7th preset (White) to the Label column in the Metadata field in the Library filter.  To assign it to a photo or group of photos, select the photos, right click to get the context menu and then select Metadata Preset.  The next menu should have your predefined Metadata Preset in it.  Click on that and your done. 

Hope this helps others who might have been confused by this.  Thanks to those who gave me input as well.

Stephen

• 11. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                              Stephen1128 Level 1

Just so it's clear - that white color label preset is actually a Metadata present even though it shows in the Color Label library filter preset.  That was the key I was looking for and didn't consider until Shootistbond007 pointed me in a different direction.

• 12. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                                Al_D_Photo

The white label is also applied if you have applied color labels to images using multiple Color Label Sets.  You can access the the Color Labels Set through Metadata > Color Label Set. Lightroom has (3) different Color Label Sets pre-installed and you can create your own custom sets as well.  If you have applied labels to images under one Color Label Set and then changed to a different set, those previously labeled photos will now all show a white label... regardless of what they were previously tagged with.

• 13. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                                  Stephen1128 Level 1

Good to know - thank you.  I kept trying to get the white label to show up in my color label sets and was unsuccessful.  It would seem like that is where it should be by default since the other six colors (including grey for none) show up there.  I was really surprised to find the issue totally undocumented in any of my written resources.  Kelby doesn't talk about it and neither to the Adobe docs including their Lightroom Reference manual.

• 14. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                                    Brad Polt-Jones Adobe Community Professional

Nice detective work Steven. Now I'm just curious why you needed a sixth color label?

• 15. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                                      Stephen1128 Level 1

I use the color labels for sorting photos from a shoot.  Normally I get by with five plus the 'none' filter.  I'm working on a wedding project where I shot a bit over 800 photos.  I had more categories than I could manage with just six so wanted a seventh.  Could have used a couple more as well.  On large projects like this I divide the photos up by color label.  Then I work on each section at a time rating and rejecting.  For me this is an easier way of managing large groups of photos instead of going the collection route.

It would be nice if we could add to the default color labels in Lightroom.

Stephen

• 16. Re: Using the Custom Label Key in Lightroom 6
                                        1MickMick

There is another reason why the white "custom" label can appear in Lightroom.

If you have previously assigned labels to photos using Adobe Bridge and then import them into Lightroom but don't change Lightroom Metadata>Color Label Set either to "Bridge Default" or have not edited the descriptions for "Lightroom Default" to be identical to those in Bridge, the labels assigned in Bridge will appear white in Lightroom. Those photos can then be selected by pressing the white "custom" color label button in the library filter bar.

It's essentially the same as al_D_Photo mentions in post 12 above - any label which wasn't assigned to a photo using the currently selected Color Label Set will appear as a white "custom" label, even though they were assigned from Bridge.