Try setting the number of recent files to display to 0
I was having the same problem and have tried everything... I found this post and tried it and IT WORKED!!! Thank you!!
If the Mac becomes slow or makes other problems you could do following without damaging any data:
- Make always a computer backup.
- Shut down the Mac
- Start the Mac and hold command+R
- The Mac starts from the invisible repair partition
- Run Disk utility twice, once repair disk, once repair permission, then finish it.
- Install the OS new on your Mac, this will build up the OS but not loose any private data, you might later change settings which are not default in your case.
I did it on 2 computers in the last weeks, both were speeded up in high significance. Every CC program, specially ID is now much faster than before.
I recommend to do this procedure to do on a regular basis as it helps to prevent data loss.
Just have to say thank you for saving me hours of frustration. Upgraded to ID 2015 running OS 10.11.1 and my Mac met all requirements, but every other task I did in ID would result in the beachball for more than a minute, then stop, then start again! I set the pref for number of recent files to 0 and no beachball anymore!
The InDesign 11.2 update should fix that....
The problem was happening with InDesign version 22.214.171.124. I don't see any updates on CC. Nonetheless, that simple change in prefs fixed the problem.