4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2015 5:26 AM by bowen192

Starting to use ID from Framemaker/Illustrator

bowen192 Level 1

Hi,

I am looking at designing a brochure so thought I would give ID a go.

I use Framemaker extensively, Illustrator alot and Photoshop a bit.

Are there any tutorials out there I should be looking at or should I just dive in?

• 1. Re: Starting to use ID from Framemaker/Illustrator
          Derek Cross Level 6

Definitely do some training. There are random, and free, tutorials here: http://tv.adobe.com/product/indesign/

And comprehensive ones you pay for on Lynda.com, such as Watch Getting Started with InDesign Online Video Course

and TrainSimple.com also have excellent online InDesign tutorials, and there are lots of good books.

And of course, you can asked questions with specific issues on this friendly and knowledgeable forum.

• 2. Re: Starting to use ID from Framemaker/Illustrator
            bowen192 Level 1

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Was hoping I would be told that ID was a Framemaker/Illustrator hybrid, but I can't even find where the master pages are kept, so back to the books it is.

• 3. Re: Starting to use ID from Framemaker/Illustrator
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Well, it actually depends on how you are used to use Framemaker. Just like that, InDesign focuses strongly on doing the layout for text only, and all other artwork (apart from basic line and plane embellishments) is best imported from other software and used as-is.

Also, similar to Framemaker – much less than Illustrator –, you can hugely benefit from a systematic and standardized workflow. Use properly nested master pages (they can be found in the Pages panel ), paragraph and character styles, and even object and table styles, and you will find InDesign easy and accommodating. Do everything 'manual' and you'll be in a world of hurt changing something as basic as the base font of an entire book.

If I'm not mistaken, the main difference with Framemaker is that InDesign has been built up and around the cutting edge technology in OpenType fonts, and it sports literally several hundreds of settings to finely adjust typography.

• 4. Re: Starting to use ID from Framemaker/Illustrator
                bowen192 Level 1

[Jongware] wrote:

Well, it actually depends on how you are used to use Framemaker. Just like that, InDesign focuses strongly on doing the layout for text only, and all other artwork (apart from basic line and plane embellishments) is best imported from other software and used as-is.

Also, similar to Framemaker – much less than Illustrator –, you can hugely benefit from a systematic and standardized workflow. Use properly nested master pages (they can be found in the Pages panel ), paragraph and character styles, and even object and table styles, and you will find InDesign easy and accommodating. Do everything 'manual' and you'll be in a world of hurt changing something as basic as the base font of an entire book.

If I'm not mistaken, the main difference with Framemaker is that InDesign has been built up and around the cutting edge technology in OpenType fonts, and it sports literally several hundreds of settings to finely adjust typography.

That's the answer I was looking for.

Framemaker is all about the setup of the system, so at least I'll go in with the right mindset; I like the way the Master Pages work in ID.

Looking forward to this now.