7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2016 3:37 PM by dj_paige

Lightroom cannot create a catalog named "Lightroom Catalog" on network volume

Barbie4228

I just purchased Lightroom and I get this error message (Lightroom cannot create a catalog named "Lightroom Catalog" on network volume)

• 1. Re: Lightroom cannot create a catalog named "Lightroom Catalog" on network volume
          Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi,

No, you can't store catalogs on a network but you can store your photos on a network. Smart Previews let you edit your photos in Lightroom even when you are disconnected from the network or when your computer is disconnected from the drive that contains your photos.

//Vinay

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom cannot create a catalog named "Lightroom Catalog" on network volume
            LetThereBeGood Level 1

I've been buying Lightroom for years and searching for a solution to this for as long. Basically, if you have your own private network cloud or a hard drive that uses ethernet or wifi to connect to your network, you're not allowed to use it for catalogs. From other posts I've read this is something Adobe specifically designs to ensure you CAN'T do, because of MySQL licensing issues or something. Also, if two people were trying to access the catalog at the same time, there could be issues. I'm not sure what's true, just summing up what I've read elsewhere since I haven't found a robust answer from Adobe. Usually just "no, but try the smart previews" which is a useful feature, but doesn't attempt to solve or address the issue of banned network drives for primary storage of catalogs.

• 3. Re: Lightroom cannot create a catalog named "Lightroom Catalog" on network volume
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom will not let you put the catalog on a network drive because there is a high risk of catalog corruption.

A corrupt catalog will ruin all your work, and you would have to rely on the most recent backup.

So there's a very good reason that you can't do this.

It is possible to use a Dropbox folder for the catalog, and access it from another computer.

For this to work successfully, the originals would also need to be on the other computer, in the exact same location as on the first computer, or they could be on a network (or in a Dropbox folder) for access by both computers.

The most important thing is that you would need to let the catalog upload completely to Dropbox on computer 1, and download completetely to computer 2 before launching Lightroom on computer 2. (and vice versa)

You would also have to make sure that nobody else is using Lightroom on the computer you are not currently using.

Another option is to keep the catalog and the photos on an external drive, and move it between the computers.

• 4. Re: Lightroom cannot create a catalog named "Lightroom Catalog" on network volume
                LetThereBeGood Level 1

I didn't mean to reply to this question. I had read others asking about the same feature and had just read a more in depth question before accidentally replying to this similar one.

That person didn't want an external drive and they also wanted someone else to be able to login at the same time. I've been searching this topic for a few years and Adobe usually gives the same repsonses, until more recently since they added the Smart Previews, Adobe reps started adding that to their replies as a workaround, which I'm sure helps many people, but doesn't address the issue. This became an issue for me when I built a small NAS with a RAID for protection of my photos and to be able to access from my older desktop with apps I still use. Also, even some external harddrives are network based via WiFi or Ethernet. So, when suggesting  an external drive, the distinction should be made "USB or eSata(?) External Drive" (Firewire, but that's dead right?) ... Just for the record --- NOT trying to be a smartass ---. They could offer a web service like many competitors, but considering photos are storage/network intensive, the cost of the web service would almost definitively be prohibitive. An option I've seen suggested numerous times is "Daminion" which is great for network storage (even for multi-user), but just not right for photo editing.

As far as the catalog corruption being an issue, I'm sure adobe could do some row/table locking in an update if MySql is actually what the software uses for catalog storage. I'm a novice in MySql, but I understand row and table locking is run-of-the-mill stuff. They just need a fail-safe so if someone gets "stuck" in a logged in mode, they can be booted out and the table unlocked. I backup my lightroom catalog at least every 3rd time I open it, but every time I do a job. With over 7 million paid subscribers (at minimum $9 a month) plus people who buy the software outright like myself, I think they can find someone who can do the coding for this. They just don't usually give an answer one way or another regarding the features, whether they're planning this, not planning it for the foreseeable future, or anything. I suppose that's most frustrating of all - the lack of communication. I know I could do some heavily involved workarounds with Daminion, Lightroom, Luxand and more, but I just hate to spend a few months or years perfecting a workaround for Adobe to release something that works more seamlessly, but would be a great labor to convert existing systems to.

Sorry for the rant. I just hope Adobe hears it and lets subscribers publicly know:

Do you ever plan a multi-user lightroom?

Do you ever plan cloud/network-ready lightroom?

Do you ever plan facial recognition based cropping?

I'm sure there are many more features others would like to know Adobe's plans for.

Source for paid subscriber count:

Adobe: Strong Creative Cloud Growth to 7 Million Paid Subscribers | ProDesignTools

• 5. Re: Lightroom cannot create a catalog named "Lightroom Catalog" on network volume
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Sorry for the rant. I just hope Adobe hears it and lets subscribers publicly know:

Do you ever plan a multi-user lightroom?

Do you ever plan cloud/network-ready lightroom?

Do you ever plan facial recognition based cropping?

There's a separate forum for feature requests, and I suggest you add your voice there.

It has a long thread about this, and there's a summary by John R. Ellis on page 7 that probably will interest you.

Lightroom: Multi-User / Multi Computer (Shared catalog on a network) | Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 6. Re: Lightroom cannot create a catalog named "Lightroom Catalog" on network volume
                    TorreyTPL

Making me crazy!!  I'm using Lightroom 4 and have current catalog stored on a MyCloud RAID.  I opened a second catalog to check something, then went back to my main catalog, and - BINGO - I'm getting the "can't open the catalog..." like you've described.  ACP (Bernsten?) says Lightroom can't use a network drive, but I HAVE been using a network frive for 7 months - have 60+ catalog backup there.  Now, out of the blue, I can't open them.  I need a solution.  What did I change or do to trigger this?

• 7. Re: Lightroom cannot create a catalog named "Lightroom Catalog" on network volume
                      dj_paige Level 9

Naturally, it's nearly impossible for us to say what changed from across the Internet. But since you are asking for a way to do something that Lightroom was designed not to do, I doubt anyone here knows how to fix this anyway. It's not that we don't want to help, it's that I don't think the knowledge exists.