12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2015 7:40 AM by Chariott

Edit copy in photoshop

Chariott Level 1

I'm a long time user of Photoshop, but a relatively new user of Lightroom. I now use Lightroom as my first editing stop, then continue editing in Photoshop. However, when I select "edit a copy in Photoshop", the image that opens in Photoshop is huge in size and very low in resolution, roughly 48 inches by 38 inches and always a resolution of 240 pixels per inch, regardless of the resolution of the original image, even if it's 6,000 dpi. Is there a setting to keep the size and resolution the same as the original when sending a copy to Photoshop?

• 1. Re: Edit copy in photoshop
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi ,

once it is open in PS , just press control + 0 in windows and command + 0 in mac .

This will fit media to screen.

~Jitendra

• 2. Re: Edit copy in photoshop
            Chariott Level 1

Thanks for your reply Jitendra. Fitting the media to the screen is not the question. Keeping the copy at the same size and resolution as the original is.

As an example, for a recent project I scanned an 8 X 10 inch hard copy image at the full 8 X 10 inch size and at 1,200 dpi. The required final image was to be 5 X 7 inches at 300 dpi, so the scanned size and resolution would be optimual to edit in detail in Lightroom CC 2015. However, after editing the image in Lightroom to my satisfaction and clicking on "Edit in Photoshop CC 2015" —> "Edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments", what opened in Photoshop was an image sized to 48 by 38 inches with a resolution of only 240 pixels per inch.

What I want is a copy to open in Photoshop with the original size (8 X 10 in this instance) and original resolution (1,200 in this instance).

Because the original image was a scanned image saved as a TIFF, there were no RAW settings to become part of the file.

Why does Lightroom change the size and resolution of the copy? A copy should be an exact copy.

• 3. Re: Edit copy in photoshop
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

The image will open in PS with the same pixel dimensions as in LR.

The ppi (which only has an effect when printing) will be whatever number is set in Preferences > External editing.

Don't worry about the ppi - all that matters are the pixel dimensions - you are getting the full image in PS.

• 4. Re: Edit copy in photoshop
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

In PS go to the Image menu, select Image size and change the Resolution to 1200. The image will be the same size as the scan.

• 5. Re: Edit copy in photoshop

There is no need to change the resolution/ppi - the image is still at the original size, and the ppi doesn't matter at this point.

It is only necessary to set the ppi when exporting the image for printing.

• 6. Re: Edit copy in photoshop
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Per Berntsen wrote:

There is no need to change the resolution/ppi - the image is still at the original size, and the ppi doesn't matter at this point.

It is only necessary to set the ppi when exporting the image for printing.

It matters a lot to the OP and how he perceives the actual image.

• 7. Re: Edit copy in photoshop

I'm trying to correct the OP's notion that the image has changed when it opens in PS - which it hasn't.

So telling the OP to change the resolution gives him/her the false impression of this being the solution to the problem - but there was no problem in the first place.

• 8. Re: Edit copy in photoshop
                        Chariott Level 1

Thanks for your replies. I'm still confused.

If I click on the original scanned file in my file manager, it shows the properties to be 8957 X 11493 pixels with a resolution of 1200 X 1200 pixels per inch .If I open the file directly in Photoshop and display the image size, it shows the same properties. If I open the file in Lightroom and do nothing to it, then select to edit a copy in Photoshop, what opens in Photoshop is a file with the same pixel size of of 8957 X 11493, but a resolution of only 240 pixels per inch. That's a lot less then 1200 pixels per inch.

I'm not talking pixels to DPI — I'm talking pixels per inch to pixels per inch.

What's happened to my resolution?

• 9. Re: Edit copy in photoshop

See post #3 about setting resolution for external editing in LR preferences.

But don't worry about it - ppi only comes into play when printing.

The ppi number does not in any way reflect the quality of an image - pixel dimensions do.

So when the image opens in Ps, the pixel dimensions are the same as in LR, and the image is identical to the original.

• 10. Re: Edit copy in photoshop
                            Chariott Level 1

Thanks Per Berntsen . I misread response 3 and thought by "whatever number is set in Preferences > External editing" was for settings in Photoshop. I have since found the "setting resolution for external editing in LR preferences" and seen that the resolution was set at 240. That explains why my files have been opening in PS with a resolution of 240. Thanks for showing me where to find that setting. That answered my question.

I take it that I will have to change that setting on a per image basis each time I wish to edit a file from LR in PS, unless there is a code that I can enter (such as %1) that would default to the original resolution of the image. At least now I will know where to find and change the setting.

• 11. Re: Edit copy in photoshop

I take it that I will have to change that setting on a per image basis each time I wish to edit a file from LR in PS

There is absolutely no need to do this - you're only creating extra work for for yourself.

You still seem to think that this is a problem, but it isn't!

As I have tried to explain several times - ppi is irrelelevant, except when printing.

If you have an image that is 2400 x 3000 pixels with resolution set to 300 ppi, it will print at 8 x 10 inches, because 2400:300 = 8, and 3000:300 = 10.

If you change the ppi to 150, it will print at 16 x 20 inches - 2400:150 = 16, and 3000:150 = 20.

But the image itself has not changed - the pixel count is the same, and it will display the same on your screen.

So ppi only makes sense together with physical (printed) dimensions.

You may have noticed that when you select an image in the LR library, ppi is not listed under Metadata - only pixel dimensions.

The reason for this is of course that ppi is meaningless in this context - the only thing that matters is pixel dimensions.

LR will however let you specify ppi when exporting an image for print - the only context where ppi is relevant.

• 12. Re: Edit copy in photoshop
                                Chariott Level 1

Thanks Per Berntsen. You've cleared up a lot of my misconceptions. I didn't realize what you meant by the pixel count remained the same and the ppi didn't matter. I didn't understand that dividing the ppi into the pixel count determined the printing dimensions. My misconception has been that I've thought of ppi as the resolution of the print when working in inches rather than pixels, If I retained the size in inches (say 8 X 10 inches) and decreased the ppi, I would print out a much lower resolution image, I thought switching to pixel count worked the same way, so when I saw the the pixel count remained the same while the ppi was decreased, I thought I'd lost image resolution. Confusing pixel count with size in inches. What a revelation this understanding makes. Thanks for your patience.