8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 6:46 AM by bnoof

Sign and Certify (Visible Signature) issues

remedyenergy

Hi everyone.

I asked the same in the forum Collaboration & Commenting by mistake.

We have been having problems with Certify (Visible Signature) when signing a file.

The error we get is "There was an error when attempting to commit this signature. The document was not saved. The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder".

I must say that this happens randomly and I must add that nobody is using the file and the file has not the property "read only" enabled.

The version of the app is Adobe Acrobat Standard XI version 11.0.12, and the OS we are using is Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit and the computer has RAM: 8 GB and processor Intel Core i7 5500U @ 2.40 GHz.

Also, when the error doesn't show up, sometimes the signature does not appear in the document, so we have to start all over again to sign a document.

Sometimes, we can sign only one document at a time. After that, we need to close the app (Acrobat) and open it up again to sign another document.

I have read several forums. I have run all the updates for Adobe Acrobat as well as Windows updates.

The security (enhanced) has been disabled and the appearance of the signature is set up as follow:

• Configure Graphic --> Imported Graphic
      • Configure Text --> Show: Name, Date, Distinguished name, Logo, Labels.
      • Text property: Auto.
      • Default Signing Method: Adobe Default Security
      • Default Signing Format: PKCS#7 Detached.
      • When signing: Include signature's revocation status.

And in Page Display, the option Show large images is enabled.

We can sign near to 50 docs a day. All the docs we receive are in PDF and must be reviewed and approved by several users. The issue only happens in this computer and this person is the only one that have this particular computer with this OS and this version of Adobe Acrobat Standard.

Finally, we work with workflows. The issue happens during the workflow as well as with any other doc out of the workflow. I have double checked that the file is not in read only as well as nobody else is using it at the same time. As I said, It also happens out of the workflow.

I wait for any comment or remote support in the case you can provide it.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Sign and Certify (Visible Signature) issues
          IsakTen Level 4

Do you open your PDFs for signing in the desktop or in a browser? There are some differences between the two.

During the signing process Acrobat saves the signed PDF. This error relates to the file you save not the original PDF you're signing, although the two may be the same, you can save signed PDF in-place overriding the original PDF, although this is not a good practice. Do you have write rights in the location where you save? Do you have a PDF with the same file name in the location where you save? Is this PDF by any chance opened in another application (not the same Acrobat session where you sign)? If you have both Reader and Acrobat installed on your machine and you have PDF in the save location opened in Reader and you try to sign a PDF in Acrobat and save it in the same location with the same name as the PDF opened in Reader you'll get this error. The same may happen when you have PDF in the saved location opened in a browser and you try to save signed PDF in the desktop Acrobat in the same location/name.

• 2. Re: Sign and Certify (Visible Signature) issues
            remedyenergy Level 1

Hi Isakten.

Non of the above you mentioned happen. The PDF is opened in desktop version and it is not being used by anyone else except for the user that has full permissions and when signing the doc, Acrobat ask to save the file and we want to override the same file with the same info and with the signature added. The file is not opened with the Reader.

I want to let everybody knows that today we did an upgrade to Windows 10. We have been testing the app Adobe Acrobat Standard XI version 11.0.12 in Windows 10 and we haven't had errors today.

We will test the app two more days and if there is no error after 2 days, my solution will be to recommend to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

• 3. Re: Sign and Certify (Visible Signature) issues
              JGHR Level 1

I too have suffered with this problem for almost two years now and I think i have identified what the problem is, but I do not know how to solve it 100%. Are you by any chance trying to save the file into a network drive or to a place where it might sync to multiple devices like dropbox or something? After applying the signature try saving the signed file directly to your desktop and see if the problem goes away. That is what worked for me.

At random times when i try to sign the file and save it directly to dropbox the signature does not appear, sometimes if i try to sign again straight after then it is fine, but at other times not. Some times i get exactly the same error as you  "There was an error when attempting to commit this signature. The document was not saved. The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder". When that happens i find that if you close the error message boxes and then close the document but do NOT save changes then when you open the document again the signature is infact there on the document, but it will not be validated.

Everytime if I save the signed document directly to my desktop or to a local folder on my hard drive only there is no problem this is what I have to do now, sign and save to desktop and then move the file to the folder where I want it. It would be good if Adobe told ushow to fix this.

I am using Adobe Acrobat XI Pro with Windows 8.1.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sign and Certify (Visible Signature) issues
                remedyenergy Level 1

Hi JGHR.

Most of the time, the signature was applied to a document that was saved in a drive that it is not located in the computer but in the network. However, we realized that if we save the file in the desktop or any other local folder, the error is decreased... but still was there. Let us say, if we save in a remote drive the error occurs 90% of the times. If the file is saved locally, the error occurs 10% of the times but the error is still there.

Due to every document here in the office is reviewed by every single person in the workflow, all the persons involved in the workflow must sign once they reviewed and approved the document. That means more than 70 docs reviewed by each one daily. Can you imagine now, if we save the doc locally and then "move" them later to the proper folder in the server? That takes you something like 30 secs to a minute searching the path and replacing each doc and, not to mention that this situation opens the doors to errors when someone is going to replace any document by the time they are moving their files.

The way we solved it was upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. It works perfect now. Also, we found out that the new Adobe Acrobat DC "Reader" allows you to sign the doc easily. So, for those who do not need to modify anything in the document, like adding sheets but they still need to read and approve or sign a doc, we will implement Adobe Acrobat DC Reader for them. Signing a document using the new application is so much easier than the previous versions of the application.

My advise to everyone is if you are experiencing this issue, upgrade your Windows 8 to 10.

• 5. Re: Sign and Certify (Visible Signature) issues
                  Samuel Neff Level 1

JGHR wrote:

Are you by any chance trying to save the file into a network drive or to a place where it might sync to multiple devices like dropbox or something? After applying the signature try saving the signed file directly to your desktop and see if the problem goes away. That is what worked for me.

THANK YOU.  Attempting to add a signature and save the file in Dropbox was causing all the problems for me.  I took your suggestion, saved to Desktop, then moved to Dropbox and everything worked.  I was this close to giving up on working with digital signatures...

That's two Adobe programs I'm aware of now that don't play well with Dropbox currently, the other being Premiere Pro.  Here's hoping things get smoother as time goes on.

• 6. Re: Sign and Certify (Visible Signature) issues
                    jaraco Level 1

I had the same issue with Acrobat XI on Mac OS X 10.11.2. I was also trying to save from an open file in Dropbox. Disabling Enhanced Security in the preferences worked around the issue.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Sign and Certify (Visible Signature) issues
                      JohnDCCIU

FYI, I had this exact issue on OS X 10.11.3 with Acrobat Pro 11.0.13.  It ended up being that the PDF that I was trying to sign was inside a folder that had a leading space in it (I did that years ago to make it sort to the top).  When I moved the file elsewhere (I put it on the Desktop), it worked fine.  Strangely enough, I have been able to sign other PDFs in that same folder with the leading space, so maybe it's an intermittent thing, or something that only particular PDFs experience.

I guess the lesson is to move any troublesome PDFs that are giving this kind of error directly to a standard place like the Desktop and see if they suddenly start working.

• 8. Re: Sign and Certify (Visible Signature) issues
                        bnoof

I have this problem when trying to save to my desktop.