8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 7:39 AM by A.T. Romano

Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can only playback 1-2 seconds before it pauses. Is there a fix?

kaib65969558

Title says it all. The videos also seem to take a lot longer to render as well but I can live with that - just not the whole "oh I cba to play your video so you can edit effectively" problem.

If it helps then I am running Premier Elements 13 on Windows 10 - i7 5820k, R9 290X gpu, 16gb DDR4, and premiere/projects are saved to my secondary drive which is a 4tb WD Black

Please, please please help! I have so many videos to edit and not much time! Upgrading was a bad idea!
      Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can only playback 1-2 seconds before it pauses. Is there a fix?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you done the upgrade to Premiere Elements 13.1?

Doing Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 [says Encore and also for All Adobe programs] will sometimes fix "odd" errors

• 2. Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can only playback 1-2 seconds before it pauses. Is there a fix?
            kaib65969558 Level 1

Hi! Yes I have updated to 13.1 though it continually tries to update itself and I am sure that it hasn't correctly installed itself (I have also done 2 fresh installs). I've also tried running as Admin and it still doesn't work

• 3. Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can only playback 1-2 seconds before it pauses. Is there a fix?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

kaib

I have Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on two computers with Windows 10 64 bit. And, there are no built in issues with the program upgrading to Window 10 64 bit.

It has been my impression that Premiere Elements issues are the same before and after the upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit.

Was Premiere Elements 13 installed on this computer before the computer's upgrade to 10. Or, did you install Premiere Elements 13 on your newly upgraded computer?

A lot depends on your answers to the above, but moving forward generally

1. What video card/graphics card does your computer use? Is the driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer? There is a Microsoft problem with QuickTime latest version 7.7.8 so please use QuickTime 7.7.6 for now.

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

3. Are you running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges? And, in addition have you right clicked the Desktop icon for the program and selected and applied Run As Administrator?

3. What are the properties of the Timeline video? What effects are you applying to it...Shake Stabilizer....? Do you find any benefit from starting a new project?

Is Timeline performance issues restricted to this particular video format or to all video formats or still alone on the Timeline?

4. If you have not updated 13/13.1, please hold on that until you do some more troubleshooting with 13. Sometimes 13.1 can introduced some issues.

5. Also look at the locations of the Scratch Disks and how much free hard drive space is at those locations. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Please consider the above as starter. Then any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can only playback 1-2 seconds before it pauses. Is there a fix?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

kaib

After I posted (post 3), I saw your post numbered 2.

If we get to another uninstall reinstall, please use the following scheme

1. Uninstall the usual Control Panel Route.

2. Do just the free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls from Adobe and non Adobe products.

CCleaner - Download

3. Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

4. Only after you establish the 13 works completely, then update 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates

Also if you have an Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher video card/graphics card, verify that the preference for that is enabled in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

That preference works only for the HD Graphics 2000 and higher video card/graphics card.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: Hardware Acceleration Preference

ATR

• 5. Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can only playback 1-2 seconds before it pauses. Is there a fix?
                  kaib65969558 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I've followed your instructions on uninstalling, CCleaner, Quicktime and testing Premiere before and after updating. Unfortunately it made no difference (after multiple attempts). Oddly enough, the first few times I tried installing Premiere, the Adobe Installer kept prompting me by saying my computer was due for a system restart and to reboot and retry the installer even though no restart was needed? I did it anyway and it actually installed correctly (and updated correctly). However the problem still remains with the 1 second playback before pausing.
                  I am unsure whether I have Intel HD Graphics installed. I installed and scanned my system with the Intel driver utility but it said no drivers could be found for the i7 5820k on Windows 10 which I found strange.

If this helps I will list my specs fully:
                  i7 5820k cpu

XFX R9 290X gpu (4GB DDR5)

16GB DDR4 GSkill Ripjaws

MSI X99-S motherboard

500GB SSD (Samsung Evo) <--- Boot drive with OS

4TB WD Black HDD <--------------- Storage drive containing Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and project folders/files (including the video footage)

I am also using the latest AMD v15.8 Catalyst Beta drivers for my gpu (I had the v15.7 previously but the same problem was occuring).

With regards to the projects themselves; I do not add any extra effects aside from transitions and titles (when the text tool doesn't crash Premiere repeatedly) and I simply use the "create new project" without tinkering around too much. I've not changed the way I record or edit at all since upgrading as it all worked prior. I'm strongly considering backing up and re-installing Windows 7 until Win10 proves to be more stable. My knowledge of Premiere is basic at best but please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks again for your help

• 6. Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can only playback 1-2 seconds before it pauses. Is there a fix?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

kaib

Thanks for the reply.

1. To check what video card/graphics card your computer uses, please go the Device Manage/Display Adapters/find the name of your card. In the card's Properties/Driver Tab/ look for the dating and version of the card.

2. That odd install message happens to me also. I have just been hitting Ignore and all works well. If you get a No Disk message, then you need to delete or disable the OldFilm.AEX file. We can talk about that if that happens to you.

3. Is your secondary drive external or internal? Assuming external, Have you tried comparing media imported from that storage drive versus storage on the Local Disc C?

a. if USB 3 external hard drive storage, does it use a USB port?

I will revisit your thread in the morning morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 7. Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can only playback 1-2 seconds before it pauses. Is there a fix?
                      kaib65969558 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks so much for trying to help out. I've had to reinstall Win7 on my system and now Premiere Elements 13 works perfectly so I guess Win10 and APE13 needs more bug testing.

It broke a bunch of videos, caused a lot of hassle and majorly set me back but it's all sorted now

If anyone else has this problem then I would recommend trying out an older version of windows (obviously backing up etc)

Thanks again!

Kai

• 8. Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can only playback 1-2 seconds before it pauses. Is there a fix?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Kai

Thanks for the update and great news that all is working as wanted for your Premiere Elements projects.

As mentioned, I have observed that the Premiere Elements successes and failures have been the same before and after upgrade to Windows 10, so I am not sure what happened in your case in this regard.

We could do further troubleshooting, but if you have a system that is working for you and you do not need Windows 10, then you are in a good place with Premiere Elements working on Windows 7 64 bit.

Best wishes

ATR