0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 1:14 PM by Carolyn Jane Elizabeth

running footer not displaying consistently

Carolyn Jane Elizabeth Level 1

I am using InDesign CS6 for the Mac and I am creating a document with several chapters.

PROBLEM: If I have a Forced Line Break in my chapter title, the chapter title displays correctly in the running footer on the right (odd number) first page, and incorrectly in the running footers on the "secondary" left (even number) and right (odd number) subsequent pages.

HERE'S WHAT I DID:

I set up Master Pages with a Right Master First Page, complete with text boxes for headers and footers, etc. [An image appears on the first (right) page of each chapter and I wanted it to automatically repeat -- in the same location -- on the first page of every chapter.]

I set up what I call "secondary" Master Pages for left (even) and right (odd) pages (complete with text boxes for headers and footers, etc.).

I wanted to have the chapter title repeat in the footer of each page (i.e., a "running footer"), include the first page.

I created a text variable and inserted it in the footer text box on the Right Master First Page and the Master Pages for the "secondary" left and right pages.

I inserted a Forced Line Break in the chapter title, removing the space between the two words where I made the break.

The chapter title in the footer on the Right Master first page looks like this: "This is the Chapter Title and it has a Forced Line Break" PERFECT!

The chapter title in the footer on the "secondary" left and right pages looks like this: "This is the Chapter Title and it has aForced Line Break" -- THERE IS NO SPACE BETWEEN "a" and "Forced".

For some reason, InDesign is not inserting a space at the point of the Forced Line Break in the footers on "secondary" pages.

When I put the space back in (keeping the line break), InDesign inserts TWO spaces in the chapter title in the footer on the Right Master (first) page, and ONE space (where there had been none) on the "secondary" pages.

I cannot figure out what I did wrong. I am now wondering if I set up my Master pages incorrectly to begin with??

(I set it up so that each book chapter is in its own, separate file.)

I am a relative newbie at InDesign.

Thank you for any insight into what I might have done wrong.