30 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 3:36 AM by Rob Hecker2

Why do people bother posting here?

Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why do people post questions here if they don't plan on acknowledging the person or persons who replied to them?

Is it insane of me to expect that a carefully constructed reply deserves some kind of feedback?

• did you get it?
      • did you understand it?
      • did it help you in any way?
      • or did it totally suck?

I'm not looking for high praises or gratitude.  A simple grunt would suffice.  But crickets...?  OMG!

I realize many people get funneled here & mistakenly think this is a support center run by Adobe staff. But it's not. 

We are not robots either.  For the most part, we are unpaid volunteers & product users just like yourself. 

I also understand this forum attracts people from around the globe who have trouble with English. That's why we have the language Translate feature in the forum.  It's not perfect but it's adequate for most situations.  I find I use it quite a bit and it gets the message across.

Nancy O.

• 1. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
          osgood_ Level 8

I think most of the time it's beacuse the OP is totally out of their depth and want a simple 'plug and play' answer. When that is not forth-coming I think they just go back to the day job. Have to remember the majority of posters in this forum are either beginners or part-time players - that's the kind of users DW attract so there will be a high percentage of times when you supply an answer which will go unacknowledged.

And of course there are those that have the desire to want to succeed and are prepared to keep banging their heads against the wall in order to find a solution - they are the ones which make it worth while providing all the answers for those that don't really care.

EDITED.

Also don't forget posting answers even if the OP never responds or acknowledeges them is not necessarily negative beacause other users will read the thread and most likely find the answers useful to them. People also search the forum for similar issues.

• 2. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
            Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think that Osgood sums it up pretty well.

A lot of people don't view the forum as a "community" but just another random part of the internet.

"Ask a question, if the answer comes, I did a good job asking it of that particular random mass of people, way to go me. If the answer doesn't come, go ask another random part of the internet."

• 3. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
              emrenilo32520834

I just wanted to say, that I'm new to learning about these programs. I do appreciate all the helpful response and even the ones not so helpful, because its nice to have someone reply. I do try to like all response at least, make comments, ask questions and thank people. I haven't had a chance to post or reply to anything recently, I got behind in my IBM I so I need to play catch up before I start learning and practing building dynamic websites.

I do really appreciate all the help and responses.

• 4. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                emrenilo32520834 Level 1

Thank you for anyone who has response and help

• 5. Re: Why do people bother posting here?

emrenilo, believe me, I wasn't pointing this rant at any one person. It was more a general observation based on a trend I'm seeing a lot more of lately.

Thanks for your reply .

Nancy O.

• 6. Re: Why do people bother posting here?

Nancy O. wrote:

...It was more a general observation based on a trend I'm seeing a lot more of lately.

I think that trend might be caused by the speed of the update cycle under CC. In previous years, there was always an influx of update-induced problem posts right around a new release from people who never came back after having that issue solved. Now that the new releases are happening multiple times per year, the numbers of new posters with those types of issues never really got to fade out before the next drop.

It's a theory anyway

• 7. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                      It's a theory anyway

And not a bad one. 

• 8. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                        John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's how I see it too.

Waves and waves of newbies (that's a good thing) due to the never-ending upgrade cycle and new-to-Adobe people joining the Cloud every day of the year.

Hence lots of random questions but little feedback when answered.

It's just the ongoing evolution of these forums.

• 9. Re: Why do people bother posting here?

Ok, I see that happening from same person a few times and they drop off the planet.  Sure.  It happens all the time.  But without naming any names, I'm seeing this again & again from the same poster.  Lots of questions & no feedback whatsoever.  It's getting so I don't think the poster is human.  And if I don't think the poster is human, I'm reluctant to waste further time on replies.

Just saying...

Nancy O.

• 10. Re: Why do people bother posting here?

And since I'm on something of a rant here... 

How about the people who knowingly download cracked (pirated) software and come to these forums looking for solutions when it doesn't work right?

• 11. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                              emrenilo32520834 Level 1

I know, I just thought I'll show my appreciation

• 12. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                Rob Hecker2 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Reasons I may not respond to a forum thread I started

• The response was not technically correct, and I chose not to point that out
                                • The response didn't address the question asked
                                • The response required further research which I ultimately did not get the time to pursue

I agree that it is good manners to acknowledge help offered.

• 13. Re: Why do people bother posting here?

Nancy O. wrote:

And since I'm on something of a rant here...

How about the people who knowingly download cracked (pirated) software and come to these forums looking for solutions when it doesn't work right?

Well, they're shameless pigs, thieves who literally see nothing wrong with their thievery. I hate them more than chancre sores and cardboard cuts.

It would be awesome to have an ignore button added to the forum so we could filter out users like that from our Inboxes and feeds, rather than accidentally helping them at some point down the road.

• 14. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                    MichaelCo Level 1

kkeep up the good work

• 15. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                      hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

without all these unselfish and dedicated people here in the forum, I never would have found positive and workable solutions for my problems. I would expressly like to thank all those concerned helpers.

What concerns Jon's button idea, so we here in Germany have heard from a planned facebook "Displeased Button" (see screenshot), we could - modified - use too:

missfällt.JPG

Hans-Günter

• 16. Re: Why do people bother posting here?

As I understand it, the new FaceBook button won't send "hate " messages.  It merely removes points from the "likes " category. 

Nancy O.

• 17. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                          kpmi Level 1

You guys have helped me several times, and I hope will again as I master Bootstrap . I appreciate all of you more than you know!!

• 19. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                            polar_bare Level 4

Well, I gave my "grunt" but I would like to go off topic here also in this thread. I would like to personally thank everyone who has helped my with some of the problems I have encountered throughout my career. I will be making a career change here in the not so distant future, and I could not have achieved my goals without the help of the knowledgeable people here. A big THANK YOU to everyone. Nancy, you're tops. Murray you're great (I have interesting story/thought about you) and Os I have a special connection with you, thanks. The rest of the pros here, keep up the tips for the people as you are a valuable resource for those going into this field. Twenty years have passed since I built my first website and it's time to move on. Thanks again.

• 20. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                              osgood_ Level 8

polar_bare wrote:

Well, I gave my "grunt" but I would like to go off topic here also in this thread. I would like to personally thank everyone who has helped my with some of the problems I have encountered throughout my career. I will be making a career change here in the not so distant future, and I could not have achieved my goals without the help of the knowledgeable people here. A big THANK YOU to everyone. Nancy, you're tops. Murray you're great (I have interesting story/thought about you) and Os I have a special connection with you, thanks. The rest of the pros here, keep up the tips for the people as you are a valuable resource for those going into this field. Twenty years have passed since I built my first website and it's time to move on. Thanks again.

Hi polar_bare, it's been a real pleasure to have helped where I could and I'd like to wish you all the success for the future, wherever, whatever it is, enjoy!

It's always ashame to lose a regular but hey life sometimes brings fresher challenges at times, which one needs, and 20 years is a long, long time.

Good luck!

• 21. Re: Why do people bother posting here?

What's next on your career horizon?

Nancy O.

• 22. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                                  osgood_ Level 8

Nancy O. wrote:

What's next on your career horizon?

Nancy O.

Arctic explorer, maybe - polar_bare?

• 23. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                                    polar_bare Level 4

As for my next venture, I am still unsure, a few "coals in the fire" but nothing definite yet. Technology used to excite me, but to be honest, it tires me now and is hard for me to keep up with, so something away from that. I have seen great people come and go here and Adobe should be thankful for the regulars that remain to help and my thanks is genuine to these people. One thing to always remember is that there is no such thing as a stupid question if the person asking is truly looking for an answer. Sometimes the terminology that people use in their chosen field is not understood by those just entering. I know when I first came into my current position, there were people saying this and that and I, coming from outside the field, would ask what that means. Not that I didn't know what was meant, but to clarify that people on the outside (like me) would not understand it. So consider this (and most of you do this) when answering the problems of those that post. I guess if I had to state a future goal for myself, it would be to live closer to my kids, whom I don't get to see enough of presently.

• 24. Re: Why do people bother posting here?

Recently, Donald Trump appeared at a High School Home Coming and had this to say to the students: "Whatever you decide to pursue, do what you love. You might not make as much money doing it but your heart will be rewarded."

I think that's excellent advice for everyone to follow.

I wish you all the best, Jim.  Take care.

N

• 25. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                                        osgood_ Level 8

polar_bare wrote:

As for my next venture, I am still unsure, a few "coals in the fire" but nothing definite yet. Technology used to excite me, but to be honest, it tires me now and is hard for me to keep up with

I hear what you're saying, loud and clear. I'm just hanging in there because I keep pushing but I know at some point in the not so distant future I'll most likely be following you through that 'exit' door when my desire to keep challenging myself  finally relinquishes. (I'm a stubborn git - if I wasn't I would most likely have come to the same conculsions by now).

• 26. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                                          MichaelCo Level 1

I am taking a few seconds out just to thank all you guys who answer my dumb questions. It is really much appreciated and I hope that you all keep up the good work. There is no way I could think about creating a website without you.

i admire the patience you have and the effort you make to get some sense out of my badly worded questions, no matter how simple it seems after I get answer.

Good of luck to you all and thanks again for the help.

MIchael

• 27. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                                            blueboy90780

Jon Fritz II wrote:

I think that Osgood sums it up pretty well.

A lot of people don't view the forum as a "community" but just another random part of the internet.

"Ask a question, if the answer comes, I did a good job asking it of that particular random mass of people, way to go me. If the answer doesn't come, go ask another random part of the internet."

Yes you are right about that, which is how I came across here. But believe me, I understand what you mean, but I also want to try and help people as well. But the big problem with that is that I'm just a kid who is still new to HTML codings. If I were advance, I would've contributed, other then that, I can't do much except to contribute in discussions

• 28. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                                              MurraySummers Level 8

It's probably too late to ask - what story?

• 29. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                                                hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Rob,

after I spent my time very often in the Japanese forum, I must say - unfortunately - that a "grunt" is quite unknown there. The most of my requests for a feedback in one way or the other remained unanswered. In response of this, I don't see a reason in an assistance of any kind.

Hans-Günter

• 30. Re: Why do people bother posting here?
                                                                  Rob Hecker2 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In response of this, I don't see a reason in an assistance of any kind.

Sure. We may all be more likely to give better follow-up support to those who mark a response as correct, when appropriate, and who are grateful. Osgood is certainly right that many people view the forum as another random part of the internet and therefore see no need for good manners.

My business model used to be custom websites and programming, and as such I worked with the directors and managers of the companies I did work for. Those people were always respectful to me. Now my business model is a CMS product, and the people I interface with are often low-level employees. These people are sometimes ungrateful for the support I provide and are sometimes even rude. That's because they don't care about the company's long-term relationship with my business. They are just a small cog in the machinery and may even hate their work.

Likewise, not everyone who comes to this forum is a designer or business owner. They may be someone who was ordered by their boss to maintain the content on the company website. As such, they are driven to the forum in order to solve a problem related to a part of their job they don't even like. Gratitude or even politeness can't be expected of such people, but helping them may make their lives a little easier, even if they don't acknowledge it.