10 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2006 1:53 AM by blueprnt

Player detection confusion.

blueprnt
      Hi, I have made a flash website in flash 8, and now I would like to set up player detection on it but got really confused when I downloaded the "Detection kit" can someone help me figure out what I have to do / where I have to put all the files. I would like to use one that uses flash to check for the correct player. basically I wont it to work like this - open a website it starts playing the "detect flash" flash movie clip, then it sends you to the appropriate page (noflash & flash), on the noflash site it plays another flash movie clip that gives you the option of downloading the update to flash 8 (with out going away to macromedia site) or not. If you choose not to then redirects you to whatever.
      Thanks in advance for your help
      BP
        • 1. Re: Player detection confusion.
          Level 7
          blueprnt wrote:

> player. basically I wont it to work like this - open a website it starts
          > playing the "detect flash" flash movie clip, then it sends you to the
          > appropriate page (noflash & flash), on the noflash site it plays another flash
          > movie clip that gives you the option of downloading the update to flash 8 (with
          > out going away to macromedia site) or not. If you choose not to then redirects
          > you to whatever.

I also found the "Detection Kit" very confusing. I recommend you check
          out SWFObject:

http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

Or read the Devnet article on it here:

http://adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/swfobject.html

It's a great way to embed your flash and also allows you to set up
          redirects relatively easily. Also allows you to initiate Express
          Install for your "update" page.
          • 2. Re: Player detection confusion.
            cj911
            I have a similar need would anyone mind taking a look at my site and telling me how they would approach version detection with my site? I'd like the HTML splash page to offer a download upon detection of a lower version of flash 8.0. When the user clicks the Resolution Media pic I'd like it to happen. Any advice? I've been reading up on System.capabilities.version but I don't have enough knowledge to do something with the returned information. Would a different method be more effective? It seems that everyone wants the user to be viewing their page with the correct ver. of flash that they published in, can this be easier?

Much appreciated!

CH
            • 3. Re: Player detection confusion.
              blueprnt Level 1
              Thanks for those links, I checked them out and managed to confuse myself more using the swfobject one I managed to get it to detect and display a link to redirect but not the option to auto download the update. It should be simple but I am doing something wrong or missing a file. It looks like you can do all the checks downloads and redirects (ie flash & noflash) in java which is no problem, but I haven’t found a way of making it work yet. Any help or good tutorials would be appreciated
              Thanks
              BP
              • 4. Re: Player detection confusion.
                schnizZzla
                quote:

Originally posted by: blueprnt
                [...] open a website it starts playing the "detect flash" flash movie clip, then it sends you to the appropriate page (noflash & flash) [...]

How is a flash movie supposed to load on a system that has no flash plugin?
                You can't detect flash with flash, you can detect, if a browser supports flash using javascript (but theres no 100% method for it) then do version detection inside of flash...
                • 5. Re: Player detection confusion.
                  Level 7
                  blueprnt -

SWFObject uses javascript, not java, just FYI. Did you try the upgrade
                  test with the Geoff Stearn's test file that comes with the SWFObject
                  download (so_tester.fla)? Does that work to do the Express Install (the
                  auto download)?

In order for express install to work, the end user needs to have Flash
                  Player 6.0.65 or higher already installed. What version does your
                  testing computer have on it?

Also, did you create your testing flash movie with the SWFObject express
                  install script on the first frame (and the expressinstall.as file in the
                  same directory as your FLA), like in the example provided? You'll also
                  need to copy and paste the "upgrade button" and "upgrade message" movie
                  clips from that example into your Flash file's library.

Here's the direct link to the instructions for using express install
                  with SWFObject:

http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/#expressinstall

blueprnt wrote:
                  > Thanks for those links, I checked them out and managed to confuse myself more
                  > using the swfobject one I managed to get it to detect and display a link to
                  > redirect but not the option to auto download the update. It should be simple
                  > but I am doing something wrong or missing a file. It looks like you can do all
                  > the checks downloads and redirects (ie flash & noflash) in java which is no
                  > problem, but I haven?t found a way of making it work yet. Any help or good
                  > tutorials would be appreciated
                  > Thanks
                  > BP
                  >
                  >
                  • 6. Re: Player detection confusion.
                    blueprnt Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: schnizZzla

How is a flash movie supposed to load on a system that has no flash plugin?

I am targeting people with an older version of flash, and need them to upgrade to flash 8 so I can use some of the great feature of this version.
                    BP

• 7. Re: Player detection confusion.
                      blueprnt Level 1
                      Hi ImagicDigital,
                      I uninstall flash 8 and install (+ test) flash 7 for testing each time,

Using just the swfobject_1.4 files without modification the expressinstall kinda works but you need to cloes firefox and explorer to upgrade and It doesn't open back on the last page you were on It takes you to [ http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/installerRedirect.html">
                      If it would open back to a perdefined page it would work great. Is there something in the swfobject.js for that?

BP

• 8. Re: Player detection confusion.
                        blueprnt Level 1
                        Ok looking into it I can simply test for flash 8 and redirect for yes to flashsite.html and no to noflash.html. so the redirection isn't a problem. What I want to do is on the noflash.html site is to use the expressinstaller but get it to redirect to www.mysite/flashsite.html when it reopens the browser. Any help appreciated BP
                        • 9. Re: Player detection confusion.
                          Level 7
                          Yes, there's a parameter you can add to the SWFObject script on your
                          HTML page - the xiRedirectUrl. See this example on the SWFObject site:

<script type="text/javascript">
                          var so = new SWFObject("movie.swf", "mymovie", "200", "100", "8",
                          "#336699", true);
                          so.setAttribute('xiRedirectUrl',
                          ' http://www.example.com/upgradefinished.html'); // must be the absolute
                          URL to your site
                          so.write("flashcontent");
                          </script>

blueprnt wrote:
                          > Ok looking into it I can simply test for flash 8 and redirect for yes to
                          > flashsite.html and no to noflash.html. so the redirection isn't a problem. What
                          > I want to do is on the noflash.html site is to use the expressinstaller but get
                          > it to redirect to www.mysite/flashsite.html when it reopens the browser. Any
                          > help appreciated BP
                          >
                          • 10. Re: Player detection confusion.
                            blueprnt Level 1
                            Well this is what I did, don't know if it is right but here it is....

Step 1 put the 2 frames from ( http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/ )swfobject_1.4\source\so_tester .fla into the first two frames of my flash project.

Step 2 Using the swfobject_1.4\fullpage.html I modified it to be this below

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" " http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
                            <!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
                            <html xmlns=" http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
                            <head>
                            <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
                            <title>Total Blueprint for World Domination</title>
                            <!-- SWFObject embed by Geoff Stearns geoff@deconcept.com http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/ -->
                            <script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>
                            <style type="text/css">

/* hide from ie on mac \*/
                            html {
                            height: 100%;
                            overflow: hidden;
                            }

#flashcontent {
                            }
                            /* end hide */

body {
                            margin: 0;
                            padding: 0;
                            background-color: #000000;
                            }

}

.style1 {color: #FFFFFF}
                            body,td,th {
                            color: #FFFFFF;
                            }
                            a:link {
                            color: #CCCCCC;
                            }
                            a:visited {
                            color: #999999;
                            }
                            </style>
                            </head>
                            <body>

<div id="flashcontent">

<div align="center">
                            <p align="center" class="style1"><strong>You need to upgrade to Flash 8 Player to really appriciate this site</strong></p>
                            <p align="center" class="style1">This Flash movie requres a newer version of the Flash plugin.</p>
                            <p align="center" class="style1">Please click <span class="style2 style1"><a href=" http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">Start Upgrade</a></span> to upgrade your Flash plugin.</p>
                            <p align="center" class="style2 style1"><span class="style1">Thanks from the team @<br />

Total Blueprint </span></p>
                            <p align="center" class="style1"> or click <a href="home.htm?detectflash=false">here</a> to visit our old web site
                            <script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[

var so = new SWFObject("Total_blueprint_web.swf", "Total Blueprint for World Domination", "100%", "100%", "8.0.23", "#000000", true);
                            so.addVariable("flashVarText", "this is passed in via FlashVars"); // this line is optional, but this example uses the variable and displays this text inside the flash movie
                            // this is where you get redirected after the update is compleated
                            so.setAttribute('xiRedirectUrl',' http://www.totalblueprint.com/flashsite.htm'); // must be the absolute URL to your site
                            so.write("flashcontent");

// ]]>
                            </script>
                            <p align="center" class="style1" style="clear: both;margin-left: 20px"> </p>
                            </body>
                            </html>

Step 3 added the swfobject. JScript Script File to my site and tested and it works.

I tested it by removing flash player from my system and running the html and it came up fine, next I installed flash 7 and ran the html file and we had the option of upgrading and it upgraded me and redirected me back to my site.

Thanks for your help ImagicDigital
                            BP