6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 12:02 PM by Jason_Bowdach

Can't change embedded colorspace

dj.summitt Level 1

I have some AVCHD footage (MTS files still in file structure) shot in log that I'm doing some comp work on before it goes to the colorist. It comes in with an embedded colorspace of "HDTV (Rec 709) YCbCr" and Arri recommends "Universal Camera Film Printing Density" for the input colorspace for log footage. All options to change the profile are greyed out. I'm working in 32bit/Rec 709/Linearlized working in CC2015. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Can't change embedded colorspace
          dj.summitt Level 1

This is what I see under Interpret Footage > Color Management

709.jpg

• 2. Re: Can't change embedded colorspace
            chrisw44157881 Level 4

turn off color management,

apply a 3D LUT LOG to linear rec709. That should force it to look correct as long as your monitor is profiled rec709.

• 3. Re: Can't change embedded colorspace
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

I have some AVCHD footage (MTS files still in file structure) shot in log that I'm doing some comp work on before it goes to the colorist. It comes in with an embedded colorspace of "HDTV (Rec 709) YCbCr" and Arri recommends "Universal Camera Film Printing Density" for the input colorspace for log footage. All options to change the profile are greyed out. I'm working in 32bit/Rec 709/Linearlized working in CC2015. Any ideas?

Hi DJ,

Check out this help doc: After Effects Help | Color management

Did you choose a working color space from the Working Space menu in Project Settings prior to importing? Universal Camera Film Printing Density is available in my Working Space menu.

For exporting, you control color management for each output item using the Output Module Settings dialog box. More info here: After Effects Help | Color management

Thanks,

Kevin

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can't change embedded colorspace
                Jason_Bowdach

Hey Kevin,

I'm the colorist working on this project. Ive also tried everything in CC2014 and beyond but can't get it to allow us to "Preserve RGB"  so it doesnt apply any color or gamma transforms based on the embedded profile (which is incorrect, funny enough).

Instead of using a Log to Rec709 LUT, we're trying to use a more accurate plug-in called qp Nuclear LUT (qp Nuclear LUT - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com)), which does the same but using actual transforms math instead of LUTs. If you;ve ever used Nuke, this mimics the workflow for log -> linear exactly. We're just having some issues getting it set-up in the comp as we need it so we can follow the following workflow:

• import the footage as is without AE making any color or gamma changes to it. AE is set to 32b with linear light enabled.
                • Use Plugin on adjustment layer to allow DJ to composite in "Rec709 \ sRGB". As far as I understand, this mimics Nukes workflow. DJ will be seeing a "gamma compensated" image on his Rec709 display but be compositing linearly.
                • Disable plugin, and export comp with additional comped elements in its original source color space and gamut, S-Log2.
                • Grade with regular footage in Resolve, and it should match identically to non-VFX work

Suggestions recommended.

Thanks,

Jason

• 5. Re: Can't change embedded colorspace
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Jason,

Here's an untested workaround that engineering has suggested:

• Apply a pair of color profile converters to the footage layer first
                    • PWS -> 709
                    • Universal Camera Printing Density -> PWS

• The first one undoes the (implied) 709->PWS transformation done by mediacore, giving you the raw code values in log space.
                  • The second one converts those back in into PWS assuming they were coded as UCPD.

Does that help?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 6. Re: Can't change embedded colorspace
                    Jason_Bowdach Level 1

hi Kevin

I tried the suggested workflow but it still didnt provide a proper export. However I found a fix for this specific workflow: converting the source MTS avchd file to a true RGB file, in this case cineform rgb 16b. Using that file, I can enable preserve RGB. After reading some related info about how AE imports non-rgb, I figured I'd try converting to RGB aand everything works

[edited by moderator]