4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2015 11:14 PM by johnrellis

Face Tags

mekelly999

I am currently running Lightroom 5.7 and have created tags that consist of people's names so I can search for them.  I understand Lightroom 6 has face tagging.

How are these existing tags supposed to be handled?  In other words, do I have to go through 10's of thousands of pictures again with the face tagging feature (and possibly have two of the same tag for each picture) or is there a way to incorporate the existing tag into the face tagging feature?

• 1. Re: Face Tags
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Mekelly,

Which application have you used to tag the faces?

Face recognition is a feature introduced with Lightroom  CC/Lightroom 6.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: Face Tags
            mekelly999 Level 1

I didn't use an application, I just manually typed in the person's name as a Tag in Lightroom so that I could search by name.  I love the idea of face tags in LR6 but want to know if there's any alternative to having to re-tag currently tagged photo's so that they're 'face tags' as opposed to just regular tags that happen to be the person's name.

• 3. Re: Face Tags
              Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

I would like to inform you that the names you have added are Keywords for Lightroom 5.

You are required to tag the faces in Lightroom 6 in order to use facial recognition.

Please follow the link for more information on Face recognistion.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Face recognition

Hope this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 4. Re: Face Tags
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                I love the idea of face tags in LR6 but want to know if there's any alternative to having to re-tag currently tagged photo's so that they're 'face tags' as opposed to just regular tags that happen to be the person's name.

If you want a face to be identified with a surrounding rectangle with the person's name attached, you'll need to invoke the face tagging.

However, you can enable all of your existing people keywords to be used for face tagging.  Select all of the keywords, right click them, and do Convert Keywords to Person Keywords.  Now, those existing keywords will appear as auto-complete suggestions as you start typing names in face tagging, and those existing keywords will be assigned to faces (if you select them).