8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2015 7:33 AM by althegolferf

Suggested Workflow to assign print profiles.

althegolferf

I'm wanting to assign color profiles before editing. I prefer to import my files from my card to a folder as a CR2, COPY to LRCC as the same and use LR as my catalog. I also prefer to use LR vs. CR as my editor. However when I export from LR (TIFF) to PSCC it bypasses CR and loads into PS. I can of course assign ICC in PS but CR assigns this automatically whereas PS requires me to assign it to each file?

Since Windows does not have a codec yet for my Canon 7d MKii I cannot visually see the files to import them into CR. I could use Canon's DPP to view but then it exports as a TIFF which would then go directly into PS, not CR.

I need a new workflow to incorporate a print profile. Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Suggested Workflow to assign print profiles.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not quite understanding what it is you are trying to accomplish. A print profile depends on the paper and the printer being used. My workflow is to work with my images in the Prophoto color space in both Lightroom and Photoshop. Then when I decide what paper I am going to use  I will soft proof the image using the appropriate print profile. I like to work with my images in Prophoto color space for as long as possible.

• 2. Re: Suggested Workflow to assign print profiles.
            althegolferf Level 1

Thank you for responding. I'm a newbie at this print profile. I send my files to commercial print houses. I download their profile and I want to assign it before editing as I learned that it makes no sense to edit then assign a profile as it changes!thanksa Al Ahner

"Call Al First"

SmugMug:http://allenahnerphotography.smugmug.com/

FineArtAmerica://fineartamerica.com/profiles/allen-ahner.htmlPrintit Plus!

(c) 314.791.9174

printit1@swbell.net

Email Response Preferred!

• 3. Re: Suggested Workflow to assign print profiles.

I disagree with you. Printing is not the only use for images. Quite often images are shared electronically either on the web or handed off as digital images. So I personally feel that it is best to retain the master images in a "common" state that can be used for numerous different situations. Then I prepare the soft proof image for printing purposes. If you prefer to do it the other way, that is your choice.

• 4. Re: Suggested Workflow to assign print profiles.
                althegolferf Level 1

Jim I don't think we're on the same page. By importing in LR I have the original file. By exporting from LR I still have that native file and can, as you suggested, use it for other purposes. As I set the print profile I also identify the file by that profile so I have consistent results. Obviously I can't be re-processing an image every time I want to use a different medium.

I'm not familiar with using pro photo and perhaps you can enlighten me on that!

a

• 5. Re: Suggested Workflow to assign print profiles.

I'm not trying to change your workflow. I'm just telling you how I work. When soft proofing for print, the profiles take into account the printer being used and the paper being used. Quite often the results are quite different from what is seen on the screen. It seems to me that if you are trying to apply a printing profile then it is going to be difficult to really work with the true colors. Lightroom uses the Prophoto color space. So if you have been using Lightroom you are working in Prophoto, or at least a modified version of that color space. It provides you with the widest possible gamut to work with.

The way I use Lightroom is to make the images look right in Lightroom. Then I choose the paper I'm going to use, or in your case the lab you are going to use, and apply the appropriate profile to a soft proof. Then the soft proof is adjusted to look right. That is the workflow I have used now for several years, and the one that seems to be recommended on forums that discuss printing procedures.

In your case, where you want to assign the printing profile first, that will require you to work in the soft proofing mode constantly. If that works for you, then by all means do it. But as far as Lightroom is concerned, the only way to assign a printer/paper profile is to do it using soft proofing. There isn't a way to assign the printer/paper profile as the "working profile".

By keeping the original image in the Prophoto color space, Lightroom enables you to evaluate the "true" colors as long as your monitor is adjusted correctly. I only maintain my master raw images, and sometimes the resulting TIF image if I have to go to Photoshop. Then, if I'm going to print or send to a lab I will soft proof using the appropriate profile and export that soft proof to the appropriate file format for the lab. Most of the labs that I use require JPEG images. After I have sent the JPEG to the lab it is discarded. There is no need to keep it. I can always create another one when necessary. If you want to run your workflow differently that's fine. But personally, I think you are going about it backwards by trying to apply the printing profile first. I really don't have any more information to give you. So if you want more ideas, keep checking this thread to see if someone else can give you further insight.

• 6. Re: Suggested Workflow to assign print profiles.
                    althegolferf Level 1

Jim we're getting somewhere! I'm trying to find a workflow knowing that what I thought I had to do was far too many steps. I see now that I can process my image as LR is already using pro photo. When finished I can check the soft proofing box and assign a profile (Diversified Labs, in this case) and tweak the proof as I see necessary. Am I following you? If so, I'm delighted!!

• 7. Re: Suggested Workflow to assign print profiles.

Yes! You said it much better than I did, and much more succinctly. It seems that some Lightroom users feel that they get to a point with a photo that they have "finished" it. And they want to export and save that finished photo and forget about all the rest. That is not the most efficient way to use Lightroom, in my opinion. I only keep my master photos and the occasional TIF files created by Photoshop. I will also keep a soft proof virtual copy if it's an image that I have printed. Those two or three images are stacked so I don't have to worry about looking at all of them. Then I create my JPEG derivative copies through the export process when they are needed. Sometimes I will go back to a master image and make adjustments. I don't want to have to export another finished copy. I just want to maintain those master images. It might take a few minutes to adjust a soft proof if I'm going to have an image printed. But usually (in my case) by the time I have created that soft proof I am generally satisfied with the image. So I just keep those two or three images and create copies as needed. That's what I do. You might have a better idea.

• 8. Re: Suggested Workflow to assign print profiles.
                        althegolferf Level 1

You, sir, have opened up my processing technique to a new level! I haven't been dissatisfied with the output from print houses. Comparing a print to a monitor of course is not apples to apples so if it looked good, I was satisfied. Yesterday I sent a file off after assigning a print profile. As soon as I applied the profile the luminescence of the image dropped dramatically. When I picked up the print it became WYSIWYG. This started my investigation into the whole process which of course made for a clumsy workflow. I now have an understanding of pro photo color space and how I can continue to use LR throughout the entire process as I had before, returning from PS or any plugins I have been using. You have been a TREMENDOUS help and Thank You very much!