3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2006 4:15 PM by ewon15

fscommand

ewon15
      I know it is old and all over the forum but I'm not understanding how to get flash to simply recognize what type of file it is and execute the .exe file to open it. I was thinking I could get it to open up the start.exe so that the computer would recognize the file but that doesn't work either. My code looks like this:

my_mc.onPress = function(){
      fscommand ("exec", "start.exe");
      getURL(filepath + filename);
      }

when I just use getURL it opens up the browser and I don't want that to happen. Plus, if the browser isn't already opened it doesn't do anything...

Anyone got suggestions?
      Thank you.

P.S. If you are from FlashJester Support Team don't bother. I don't want to pay for your stupid program.
        • 1. Re: fscommand
          I tried Level 1
          I think you are trying to do something that is not possible from within flash. fscommand is tied solely to the vbscript and javascript running from within a browser window. It's meant to enable actionscript to talk to javascript. getURL is limited to the same scope. If your browser has a default application for the type of file your point it to, it will use that, otherwise the browser will try to download the file. After the file is downloaded, your computer may or may not try to open a default application for that type of file. There are few instances where flash can be successfully used outside the browser and their uses are limited. Also, if your movie is in the browser, you won't be successful at opening an external application.

If this isn't what you are trying to do, please clarify your post so we can help you out.

Robert
          • 2. Re: fscommand
            Peter Lorent Level 2
            fscommand is a function that enables a flash movie to communicate with the application that is currently holding the movie - stand alone flash player - web browser - executable that displays the flash movie such as those created by third party programs.
            To open a file:
            fscommand("exec",filename);
            Applications opened using this command must reside in a folder named fscommand. This folder must reside in the same directory as the projector. The exec command works only from within a Flash projector file.
            • 3. Re: fscommand
              ewon15 Level 1
              Thank you both for the responses...I will publish my .fla file as an .exe and see if i can do what you suggested LuigirL. Otherwise, I appreciate the comments. Thank you!

Ewon