16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2015 4:07 PM by A.T. Romano

how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?

daniels26851022

Importing footage with 2 or 4 audio tracks PE 13 just plays track 1. How to play the other audio tracks?

Thanks for advice.

• 1. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I know of no reason Premiere Elements isn't playing all of your audio tracks, daniels, unless you've somehow muted and disabled some audio tracks -- which is hard to do accidentally.

Can you post a screen capture of your timeline to this forum so we can see if that is the case?

• 2. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
            daniels26851022 Level 1

PE-PrintScreen.JPG

Thanks for answering, Steve. Here's a screen capture. The file has got 4 tracks (two given by the camera, two more coming from a beachtec mixer, the footage has been recorded on an atomos ninja). PE plays onla track 1 (and it doesn't mix the tracks together).

• 3. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In your screen capture, I only see audio on one track, daniels. Am I missing something?

• 4. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the file extensions of the audio files?

• 5. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

daniels

I would suggest that your issue goes to Premiere Elements lack of recognition and support for 4 channel audio and your expectations.

Details....

What may have been not seen is what you wrote

The file has got 4 tracks (two given by the camera, two more coming from a beachtec mixer, the footage has been recorded on an atomos ninja). PE plays onla track 1 (and it doesn't mix the tracks together).

Here is my take on this. Please consider.

You are in essence referring to 4 channel audio. And, for a given imported video with its audio file, Premiere Elements will represent all that is recognized for that file in Video 1/Audio 1 if you drag the file to Video1/Audio 1. What goes on the upper tracks are different imported files, not different channels/streams of audio. In Premiere Elements you cannot separate all the streams of audio that are represented in Audio 1 composite.

I have a 4 channel pcm.wav file. If I playback that file in Windows Media Player, I hear sequentially the words Left, Center, Right, Surround.

If I take that 4 channel.wav file in the free audio editor, Audacity, I can see the 4 separate channels

1st gives the word Left (Audacity designates this channel Left, 32 bit floating...)

2nd gives the word Center (Audacity designates this channel Right, 32 bit floating)

3rd gives the word Right (Audacity designates this channel Mono, 32 bit floating)

4th gives the word Surround (Audacity designated this channel Mono, 32 bit floating)

If I import that 4 channel.wav file into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor, the file imports to a numbered audio track or soundtrack  but only the word Left is heard in the playback of the file in the Edit area monitor. And, if you look at Premiere Elements Properties for the file, Properties is describing the audio as Mono.

The two waveforms seen in the audio track are not significant for this purpose, since the project preset is calling the track Stereo and will display with two waveforms whether you have stereo, mono, or 5.1 channel there.

If I am interpreting your situation correctly and you want to have control of 4 audio channels in Premiere Elements, then I would suggest that you create 4 separate audio files (wav) in Audacity, export them as separate wav files, and then import each of the files into the Premiere Elements project, placing each on its own audio track or space in opened audio track.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                    daniels26851022 Level 1

@atr - thanks for your post. But they way you suggest is quite complicate. I consider to bye premiere elements to log my footag (which I will cut with an editor later) - and I was interested in premiere elements because it reads apple pro res as well as dnxhd-codec. But I need to play back alle the tracks I'm recording.

• 7. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

daniels

Thank you for the reply. I think that I have understood what you have done and, based on what I have read, I suspect that your are in a 4 channel situation which Premiere Elements appears not to support. See details in prior post.

For troubleshooting purposes, can you import your video with its linked audio file (assumed Stereo 2 channel) from your camera into Premiere Elements and hear what you want to hear at playback of that file from the Timeline to the Edit Area monitor? What is not playing with the video audio 4 channels situation - just the 2 that you have mixed in with the beachtree device and not the original from the camera?

If you right click the thumbnail for the file that you are importing into Premiere Elements and select Properties, what does it show for the Source and Project audio properties?

ATR

• 8. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                        daniels26851022 Level 1

I've done a check with 4 and with 2 audio tracks. The result after importing is always the same : premiere elements just shows and plays audio 1.  If I click on "properties" it says it's a quicktime film with 1 Video track and 1 audio track (48'000 hz - 16 Bit mono).

• 9. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

daniels

Thanks for the follow up and additional information about your Premiere Elements audio issue.

If it would not invade your privacy, would it be possible to send a small problem sample from your camera before you mix in the 2 additional tracks/channels?

You could send the sample by placing a Dropbox or Google Drive link to it in your thread reply. I can post how to for using Google Drive for this purpose if you have not used it before.

Thanks for your consideration

ATR

• 10. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                            daniels26851022 Level 1

ATR,

I don't mix the additional tracks they are internally recorded by the camera. Premiere Pro recognices them but Elements doesn't. I was just wondering if premiere elements is not able to work with more than one track (maybe on purpose in order not to compete with premiere pro).

Since I just need a program to log and not to edit premiere pro is not an option for me because of the costs. I'll switch to FC X probably. But thanks for your help anyway.

• 11. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

daniels

Thanks for the reply.

I am still looking at this as 4 channel audio non support in Premiere Elements. But, you say that you have no problems in Premiere Pro in this regard. What version of Premiere Pro. Please refer to

CreativeCOW

Just to make sure that important information did not get misplaced....

Early on your wrote

The file has got 4 tracks (two given by the camera, two more coming from a beachtec mixer, the footage has been recorded on an atomos ninja).

But your latest post said

I don't mix the additional tracks they are internally recorded by the camera

Could you explain that in context with what the atomos ninja is recording and beachtec mixer?

I think that I may have found some relevant information online.

Atomos Ninja could be a 4 track audio recording solution - DSLR Film Noob

Is there a Atomos Ninja Forum where you could consult on the matter?

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                                daniels26851022 Level 1

Thank you for your answer. The atomos link shows the configuration I'm working with, yes. I'm not mixing audio tracks together - the ninja records all tracks internally. But even if work with 2 audio tracks - after importing the file into premiere element - there is always just one audio track. I checked Premiere Pro CC - it works there as well as on the avid media composer. Cheers, Daniel

• 13. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                                  daniels26851022 Level 1

So if you guys import video footage with more than one audio track - does it work automatically?

• 14. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

daniels

Details....

If your camera records a file with audio described as Stereo 2 channels (Left and Right Tracks/Channels) and you import that file (assumed with compatible compression and file extension) into a Premiere Elements project, it will import into the project with the video and audio linked. All the video in the file will present on the Expert workspace's Video Track 1 and ALL the audio in the file will present on Audio Track 1.

There are two Audio Track Display Styles....one is just a black horizontal line across the clip, the other is the one which displays a waveform for the file....if stereo track set by the project preset and stereo source, you will see 2 waveforms representing the Left and Right Channel of the audio. Your screenshot in post 2.

All of the above is automatic with the import of the file.

In Premiere Elements, you are not going to separate the Left and Right channels seen as waveforms in Audio 1 into Audio 1 subtracks. And, you are not going to see Left Channel on Audio 1 and Right Channel on Audio 2. But, there are audio effects like Balance, Fill Right, Fill Left, Swapping Channels, to effect what is heard from the channels. See Audio Effects under Show All in the following

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Effects reference

You talk about

even if work with 2 audio tracks - after importing the file into premiere element - there is always just one audio track.

Please reconsider that thought in view of what I have written above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                                      daniels26851022 Level 1

Hi ATR

Thank you for taking so much time to help solving my problem. But I don't get the point of having just one audio track if the raw material has 2 or even 4. And I was  not able to hear or separate  the others. I just checked a friend's final cut 10 which supports my needs better.

I'm out - wish you all the best.

• 16. Re: how to play track 2,3,4 of my footage?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

daniels

Thanks for letting us know your decision moving forward.

We are glad that you identified a video editor which will support your video audio source choice. Based on the description of your work, I could not

see how Premiere Element could support what you wanted with your specific video source which seemed to be characterized by 4 channel audio.

Since you said that you are out, you need not reply, but I just wanted to say that I appreciated you exploring the comments and suggestions.

Best wishes

ATR