3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2015 2:45 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS6 Joining Arabic Letters Together

atjgraphics Level 1

Hello! Hope you are all well!

I am using InDesign CS6 and would like to copy some Arabic Text from a Word Document.

The problem is that the Arabic font and text is able to be pasted into InDesign but it comes as single letters.

Is there a better way to insert Arabic Letters into InDesign?

Or an option where you can type Arabic Letters in InDesign?

Thank you

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 Joining Arabic Letters Together
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you have a version of InDesign that supports right-to-left languages? Perpetual License, or part of a CC subscription?

The first thing is to turn on the World-Ready Composer, but it may not be enough.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 Joining Arabic Letters Together
            atjgraphics Level 1

Hello Peter

Thank you for your response. I am not sure if my program supports right-to-left languages and how do I check that?

Thank you

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 Joining Arabic Letters Together
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm pretty sure you would know if it did -- Middle East/North Africa versions have text direction controls in the various dialogs where they would be appropriate.

If you are a CC subscriber you can download the English/Arabic version by changing the language settings in the CC App preferences, but for a perpetual license you don't have that option. It might be good enough to create a text frame on the pasteboard, then hold down the Ctrl or Cmd Key when you right-click and choose Fill with Placeholder Text. Choose Arabic from the dropdown and fill the frame which will set the attributes in the frame for right to left, then highlight the placeholder text and paste your Arabic text from Word.

You can now copy that text again and paste where you need it and it should retain the formatting, but check it carefully.

If you need to do a lot of this, look into the World Tools plugin from In-Tools.com.