39 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 2:50 PM by Szalam

How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

Piers Chapman

i7-5960 cpu, gtx980ti, 64mb of 3000Mhz ram, SSD drive for mediacache, windows 10. It can't be hardware limitations...

Why can't After effects manage to make any real time playback so you can preview and edit nicely to music. Even just simple sequential tif runs (3d renders as sequential tifs) will not ever playback at real time, even just a few seconds worth cannot build and playback from ram. There's masses of ram available but AE just will not get above stuttering sound at 23/24 frames per second to reach a 25frame per second realtime playback rate. No matter how simple or complex the projects layers and effects.

• 1. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
          qopel Level 1

I just hit play and let it render. The next time it plays rendered, it is normal real time playback.

• 2. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
            Piers Chapman Level 1

Even if AE plays the sequence through 5 times, and has a completely green bar etc, it will never play at real time, AE will always be a frame or so below real time and stuttering the audio because of it. Going out to AME to make a video encode to then when it's finally finished encoding play the encoded video in windows media player is an awfully convoluted waste of time when editing (especially sound).

• 3. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

If you're actually trying to edit video in AE, you picked the wrong application.  You need Premiere Pro, FCP, Avid, Sony Vegas, etc.

• 4. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exact version number of AE are you using (down to the last decimal point)? It should be something like 13.5.1.48

• 5. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                  Piers Chapman Level 1

Using latest version AE CC 2015  v.13.5.1.48

• 6. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                    Piers Chapman Level 1

AE is the last 3% of the workload. After briefing & client facing stuff, modelling/sculpting, mapping and uvw's, texturing & materials, keyframing and animation (rigging), lighting, camera work, any special effects like particles etc and rendering & renderfarm we finally get to the stage we've got sequential 3D rendered images as passes (tifs exr's whatever). Perhaps a few layers like beauty, ambient occlusion maybe bloom/glare etc. AE is mostly just a place to compile the passes, and perhaps add a bit of music or effects so the sequences are less flat when viewed by clients. AE is providing headaches all it's own though, quite disproportionate to it's importance in the process.

Does anyone have experience of scenarios that prevent AE from ever playing back at real time, no matter how simple the 'playback a sequence of tifs' project?

• 7. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

You said that you can't play back even really simple comps at full frame rate? I'm not having the issues you're experiencing. When my green line fills up, I get real-time playback, no matter the content.

• 8. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                        Piers Chapman Level 1

yes, literally a few seconds sequence of 1920x1080 tifs, totally simple, will playback at 23/24 of 25fps with a green bar, no matter how many repeats. Massively more complex comp, greenbar for preview and plays back at around 23/24 fps. Everything plays back just below real time no matter how complex or simple once built (greenbar). Just never getting clean unstuttered playback and therefore audio is always hiccuping to catch up.

• 9. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

That is really frustrating! I wish I could think of something else more useful to suggest.

Try using CC 2014. The new architecture that Adobe is beginning to introduce in AE CC 2015 isn't quite all the way there yet, so perhaps the older version with the more mature coding will behave a bit better. AE CC 2014 will open files saved with AE CC 2015 with no problem. And it is supported on Windows 10. How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

If CC 2014 works, I would highly recommend filing a bug report for CC 2015: Feature Request/Bug Report Form And make sure to give Adobe as much info as you possibly can so they can try to nail this down. This seems like one of those somewhat nebulous bugs so knowing as much info as possible about your hardware should help.

If CC 2014 also doesn't work, there's something else going awry...

• 10. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                            Piers Chapman Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that - although have been using one of the pixel motion effects that I believe is new with ae cc 2015 to introduce a bit more motion blur smoothing in a couple of projects rather than do it all at render time, so I'd guess we'd lose access to that

• 11. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

Pixel motion effects have been around for several versions. Hopefully what you're doing will work in CC 2014!

• 12. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                Gutter-Fish Level 4

I create educational videos.  I receive the narration as an audio track and work from there so the ability to play back clean audio in real time is crucial.   I immediately went back to AE CC 2014.   When the update for 2015 dropped I tried it for about 10 minutes and went back to 2014.    Basically if you need clean real-time playback then 2015 is not what what you want.  It sucks that it took you so much back and forth to get that suggestion to go back to 2014.  It really should have been the very first suggestion made as 2015's audio playback issues are well known,.  

• 13. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                  Piers Chapman Level 1

Thanks, I'll try 2014. Seems an amazing problem to release 2015 with.

• 14. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

loxun wrote:

Thanks, I'll try 2014. Seems an amazing problem to release 2015 with.

I'm not experiencing the same issue. It seems like an unusual bug on your end. As I suggested, filing a bug report would probably be a good idea. You may have stumbled across a particular configuration that causes an issue.

• 15. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                      Jason Y.

Same problem on multiple iMac 5K at our studio, I had to download&install cc 2014 and discovered that nothing was broken in the older version.

"Seems an amazing problem to release 2015 with."

Companies do make a living hoping at least the important features would work, especially when After Effect has virtually no direct competition. No pressure.

For people searching about this problem:

CC 2015 Previews Not Real Time : Adobe After Effects

"RAM" Preview isn't real time anymore, CC 2015

No solutions found for cc 2015, yet. Let me know, thanks.

Oh wait and yes, I did update the apps.

• 16. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                        damienivan

I constantly have the same problem you're having. I don't know if there's a "correct" solution, but the only way I can consistently solve it is to go back to 2014. When 2015 works, it works great, but when it fails, it's totally worthless.

• 17. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                          Jason Y. Level 1

Yep, maybe adobe should pay more attention to this forum.

• 18. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                            georgecasualfilms Level 1

Having the same issue. Someone mentioned a fix in another forum (only if you can enable GPU processing though, so if you don't have an NVIDIA card, the fix won't work for you). https://forums.adobe.com/message/8082125#8082125

I've pinpointed the issue for me. It would seem that having the playhead slider visible whilst previewing makes everything slow down. If I pick a place to preview from, move across the timeline so the slider isn't visible, ram preview works fine. Seems like the UI is conflicting with everything.

Apparently a fix is coming next month.

• 19. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                              Jason Y. Level 1
                                              If I pick a place to preview from, move across the timeline so the slider isn't visible, ram preview works fine.

I'm astonished.

• 20. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                A.D. Saar

Having the same issue and like you moving to a place in the timeline where the playhead is invisible drastically improves the preview. Seems something is wrong with the way the timeline window is being displayed in general, as the preview becomes even worse for me if both the playhead slider and any audio waveforms are showing at the same time.

Obviously hiding the playhead and/or timeline is not a tenable solution and hopefully Adobe releases a fix very soon.

• 21. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                  danielsiegl Level 1

Same Problem here: MacPro 12 core 64Gig Memory. And on a iMac Retina i7 32Gb. So it seems like its not the hardware and even not the OS.

It is again this piece of buggy patchwork software.

Called Adobe Support today. A guy who knew AE only by name said to me, that there is no ram preview anymore and i have to deal with it (Adobe announced it in their blog he said) This support is not interested in solving problems. They are against the customer to tell him it is his fault. He also said that there will be no realtime in the future anymore. Just stupid. And I think and hope: Not true. Just another bug.

I'm still wondering why they changed the Ram preview. It was one of the last quite good working things in there. I'm working with a lot of Motion Designers and i never heard some of them saying: We really need a new ram preview functionality.

I'm in the middle of a project and made the biggest mistake to trust adobe and their new AE update.

Good luck!

Daniel

• 22. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                    Gutter-Fish Level 4

Even some of the major Adobe training partners are telling people not to

update.  AE 2015 is just not an realistic option in a working production

environment.  If they don't fix it soon they are really going to start

felling the consequences of their mistake.  Mistakes and bugs are

understandable but paying a continuous subscription for a broken product

can only be tolerated for so long..If they had any balls they would release

an update that re-installs 2014..basically do a total recall of 2015 until

it's ready for a production environment.  And then they should apologize

loudly and publicly.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 1:51 PM, danielsiegl <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 23. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                      vuitimig

Having same issues here... With an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, $GHz i/ 16GB. Just checked hiding the playhead and the Preview just started playing fine! Such a shame Adobe leaves us with this kind of important bugs. Come on, it's the Preview we're talking about! AE is useless if you can't get to see part of what you're working on in real time!

• 24. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

danielsiegl wrote:

Called Adobe Support today. A guy who knew AE only by name said to me, that there is no ram preview anymore and i have to deal with it (Adobe announced it in their blog he said)

That part is true in a manner of speaking even if he did seem to say it poorly: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) - some of this will be changing a bit when the update comes out later this month to make it behave better and more sensibly. The After Effects team also blogged about keeping CC 2014, about features not available in CC 2015 (and why), and about known issues in CC 2015. All of which are a useful read for anyone using AE in a production environment.

The AE team at Adobe has been very open about the roadmap they're on for replacing AE's aging architecture and the shortcomings and bumps that we're in for along the way. Adobe as a corporation, on the other hand, hasn't said a word about it. And they compounded the issues by making the ridiculous decision to automatically remove older versions when updating to CC 2015. This was a poor time to introduce that particular feature!

danielsiegl wrote:

He also said that there will be no realtime in the future anymore. Just stupid. And I think and hope: Not true. Just another bug.

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding with what "real-time" means.

He was probably thinking of a real-time video stream like Premiere which AE is unlikely to ever do (since AE is a pixel perfect renderer) whereas you were thinking of a full frame preview playback which AE should have now. If it doesn't, yes, it's a bug and hopefully it will be fixed in the update coming out at the end of this month.

Gutter-Fish wrote:

If they had any balls they would release an update that re-installs 2014..basically do a total recall of 2015 until it's ready for a production environment.

If you want to roll back to CC 2014, CC, or even CS6, you can! http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2015/06/16/how-to-find-and-install-previous-version-of-ad obe-apps-in-cc-2015/

For the record, I've been using CC 2015 since the 13.5.1 update with few problems other than those mentioned in the "known issues" blog post I linked earlier. However, I'm aware that a lot of people are having some show-stopping issues with it. Hopefully a bunch of the big issues will be fixed in a couple of weeks or so (whenever the update comes out).

• 25. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                          Gutter-Fish Level 4

May I ask in what capacity you have been using AE 2015 without any problems?   And does that claim include you NOT having to use 2014 for "certain" things?

You are voice in the wilderness here my friend...It is widely agreed that 2015 is a broken mess and I know of no-one who is using it for anything other than personal projects.

I think the recall should be done as a matter of principle.  As a courtesy to people who are too "out of the loop" to know they should not bother installing it.

I believe the problems will be fixed however part of the problems are that some problems are not considered to be problems by Adobe and by at least ONE of their handpicked advocates.

For example the fact that renders take much longer.  There are others but I wont bother...The problems are well known.   But I guess maybe you enjoy running through the obligatory answers to novice users asking why they can't render audio better than getting right to the point and asking what version they are using, and telling them to go back to 2014.

I know I can still work (with 2014) and keep collecting my checks, but that doesn't mean that Adobe shouldn't need to acknowledge their mess by recalling it until it's usable for more than 5% of it's user base.

Please do me a favor and refrain in the future from assuring "Gutter-Fish" that everyone's "HOPING" the problems are fixed soon.  Hoping is for morons with nothing more important to do.  And please refrain from trying manipulate my feelings about 2015.  I find it insulting....even from an "MVP"  

• 26. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

Gutter-Fish wrote:

May I ask in what capacity you have been using AE 2015 without any problems?  

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't say without any problems. I said with "few" problems. I have had some issues with it, but they haven't been the show-stopping big ones that have become a large part of this forum lately. I don't have weird previewing issues where it won't play back. I haven't had the sticky keyframes issue (even though I have a Wacom), etc. I have had weird issues with cache indicators not displaying correctly, cache holding things that shouldn't be there, frustration at the number of times you need to press spacebar to stop a preview, and all of the known issues in the blog post, of course. (I'm so glad that triple-spacebar-to-stop thing is going to be fixed in the next update!) But the issues I've had have been minor and not enough to keep me away from the better expression handling and other bits about CC 2015 that are improved.

Gutter-Fish wrote:

I believe the problems will be fixed however part of the problems are that some problems are not considered to be problems by Adobe and by at least ONE of their handpicked advocates.

For example the fact that renders take much longer. 

I don't understand what you mean here. That problem is considered to be an issue by everyone on these forums that I know of. It is expected for renders to take longer with CC 2015 because the new renderer hasn't been written yet. In fact, in the AE team's blog post where they recommended keeping CC 2014, they suggested using CC 2014 to render projects because it is expected to be faster. And I have been very public that that is my normal workflow.

Gutter-Fish wrote:

But I guess maybe you enjoy running through the obligatory answers to novice users asking why they can't render audio better than getting right to the point and asking what version they are using, and telling them to go back to 2014.

I really, really don't enjoy that. I remember when the problems on this forum where all interesting technology issues, fun creative problem solving, and (of course) some regular newbie "I don't even know what a precomp is" questions. Now, it's mostly issues with CC 2015 due to the unfinished new architecture and that is significantly less entertaining.

Although, I feel my posts about the audio rendering usually do get right to the point as one of the suggested workarounds I offer is to use CC 2014.

Gutter-Fish wrote:

Please do me a favor and refrain in the future from assuring "Gutter-Fish" that everyone's "HOPING" the problems are fixed soon.

My bad, sir. I'm just really, really hopeful, because I'm tired of all the bugs! I want to get back to actually being helpful around here instead of just saying, "Yes, Adobe knows about that, here's a lame workaround in the meantime, and/or roll back."

Gutter-Fish wrote:

And please refrain from trying manipulate my feelings about 2015.  I find it insulting....even from an "MVP"  

I'm very sorry. I did not intend to come across that way. I have appreciated your posts on this forum, your attempts to help others, and your legitimate concerns about the current state of CC 2015 (which I share, by the way). I've written some pretty heated bug reports to the Adobe folks too. (Although, I try to keep them professional enough to be useful. )

I think my problem is that I'm very excited about the direction that After Effects is going (with more of a focus on useful workflow improvements and the new architecture that's being built). I fear my enthusiasm for where it's going in the future can distract me from being sympathetic and empathetic enough with people who are having issues right now.

Again, I'm very sorry.

• 27. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                              michael cardeiro Level 1

This is the sole reason I am not using cc2015; I simply cannot work if I cannot preview in realtime.  Everytime an update for cc2015 is available, I install and open with excitement...but as of now, I am still not getting realtime previews in cc2015.

This is my big issue with Adobe's "release new version on x date for every product whether they're ready or not" policy.  If this were an update that we had to pay for, surely cc2015 would still be in beta (maybe I am giving Adobe too much credit in this aspect).

• 28. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Based on what people have to say about it, I'd say AE CC 2015 is indeed a Beta, ane the people who use it are the testers.

• 29. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                                  richieblasco

Well for me the real-time playback with audio has been touch-and-go, but works enough times that I'm fine with it. If I can't get real-time playback or don't want to wait for a cache render, I'll do it the old way... Play the audio (.), lay down markers, CMD/CTLR scrub to get precise. So I can summarize that my experience with this issue has been "fairly reliable" across my home PC workstation and daily use of Macs at a client's facility.

My problems with CC 2015 lie elsewhere (Dynamic Link CONSTANTLY breaks on my client's Macs, certain plugins like Particular will have a single frame freak out, forcing me to render in 2014), but the work experience when it's behaving (and it usually is for me), with the playhead detached from the preview and lagless, has me using it over 2014 almost all the time.

Just sharing my experience to encourage others to at least try it before getting scared off by others who are having a bad experience. But it's unfortunate that these things are happening. 2013 and 2014 were pretty freakin' solid.

• 30. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                                    A.D. Saar Level 1

Just wanted to point out that this issue is still unresolved in the 13.6.1 release (13.6.1.6 specifically). I reverted to using CC 2014 a while ago but keep installing the 2015 updates in hopes that the problem has been fixed, but nothing yet.

Playback is still miles from real-time in CC 2015 when the timeline window is fully visible, yet zooming in on the timeline to a place where the playhead is not visible solves the issue and playback immediately becomes real-time. From what people have said in this thread and other forums it seems like this issue might be specific to people on Retina iMacs (I'm on a late 2015 Retina iMac 27" 5k 4ghz i7 with 48GB RAM running OSX 10.11.2). It renders CC 2015 unusable for me and those experiencing the same problem, and it's hard to believe it hasn't been addressed yet.

I've noticed that the playhead behavior is very choppy in Audition as well, for what it's worth.

It really is starting to feel like I'm paying Adobe to be a beta tester.

• 31. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

Just tried the latest Hack fix release.  Still unusable for folks who work with audio.  In addition to stuttery, crackling playback, dragging clips or resizing clips makes waveform vanish.

Who knows what other problems it still has...I can't get past the most basic of operations.  Nothing in the entire project except one short audio clip.   So when is Adobe going to start crediting peoples accounts?   Think I'm pissed now?  I dare you to release AE 2016.  I just dare you.  Just knowing you wasted 10 seconds on a new splash screen might make me go ape-sh*t

• 32. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                                        theandrewlucas

It appears, to me, to be an interface problem. It plays back in real-time for me when in graph editor mode. It's a ridiculous workaround but a workaround nonetheless.

• 33. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                                          slebbo

I just want to say — we have the same issue (iMac 5K 16gb ram, AT). It's ridiculous how slow it is, even with pre-rendered material with a resolution of 320x120 we'll get something like 14-18fps. Changing back to AE CC 2014 now, even though it feels very wierd to downgrade.

• 34. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

slebbo wrote:

I just want to say — we have the same issue (iMac 5K 16gb ram, AT). It's ridiculous how slow it is, even with pre-rendered material with a resolution of 320x120 we'll get something like 14-18fps. Changing back to AE CC 2014 now, even though it feels very wierd to downgrade.

There is a workaround and more information on the reason and the upcoming fix from Todd Kopriva's post here:Re: After Effects 2015 won't preview in real time after El Capitan update.

Basically, if you hide the preview time indicator, you will get real time in CC 2015. Easiest way is to hit the ` (grave) key (same key as the ~ [tilde] on US English keyboards) over the composition panel to make it full screen.

• 35. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                                              dontblinknl

It's insane!

Realtime playback

I'm using after effects CC 2015 and realtime playback is a *****, even with some easy to handle illustrator files and some basic animation, I dont even get a realtime playback if I preview quarter resolution.

Never had such problems in CC and lower.

Is there a solution? Anybody also has this problem?

I see on the internet mostly mac users got a similar problem.

Kind regards,

Jaya

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz 37 °C

Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM

32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D (LGA1156) 37 °C

Graphics

PA248 (1920x1200@59Hz)

HP LP2475w (1920x1200@59Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (EVGA) 43 °C

Storage

59GB OCZ-VERTEX ATA Device (SSD)

111GB Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device (SSD) 29 °C

298GB Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (SATA) 44 °C

298GB Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (SATA) 42 °C

931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C

931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)

Fast Draft: Available

Texture Memory: 1614.00 MB

Ray-tracing: GPU

OpenGL

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Device: GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2

Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 353.06

Total Memory: 3.93 GB

Shader Model: 4.0 or later

CUDA

Driver Version: 7.5

Devices: 1 (GeForce GTX 680)

Current Usable Memory: 3.74 GB (at application launch)

Maximum Usable Memory: 4.00 GB

• 36. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

dontblinknl wrote:

I'm using after effects CC 2015 and realtime playback is a *****, even with some easy to handle illustrator files and some basic animation, I dont even get a realtime playback if I preview quarter resolution.

Never had such problems in CC and lower.

I have Windows 7 and am using CC 2015 without the issues you are describing.

What, exact, version of AE CC 2015 are you using? My machine is running 13.7.0

Could you go into further detail about how you are attempting a preview and what sort of issues you're experiencing?

Are you aware of the major changes in how AE does previews in CC 2015? Have you expanded the preview panel down and worked with the multitude of new settings?

• 38. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?
                                                                                  KimMinneapolis

Looking at the fix at this link, Adobe may have addressed the problem for Mac users, but I'm on a PC and I STILL can't get realtime playback.  I updated After Effects 20 days ago and again today and the problem still exists. How can this not be a priority for  Adobe?? This is absolutely ridculous. AE 2014 rendered and played back just fine.  You had to wait for the render, but the playback was always stable.  Adobe has GOT to get this fixed.  Take a break from developing new products and get someone to stabalize this product.

• 39. Re: How do you get After Effects CC 2015 to manage to make a real time playback/preview?

KimMinneapolis wrote:

Looking at the fix at this link, Adobe may have addressed the problem for Mac users, but I'm on a PC and I STILL can't get realtime playback.

I'm using CC 2015 on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 with real time playback on two rather different computers. In fact, I haven't seen anybody with issues like you describe on Windows. So there must be something different on your end from the majority of users.

Could you tell us what your full version and build number of AE is?

Could you show us a screenshot of your full preview panel (you probably have to drag the preview panel down to reveal all of the properties)?

Please describe what is in your composition.

Could you tell us what version of Windows you're using?

What hardware do you have? CPU, RAM, hard drives, etc.

If you have CC 2014 installed on that machine too, please try the same composition in it (project files can be used between both versions interchangeably) and see how it behaves.