9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 5:27 PM by rayb7694139

Cannot update Lightroom.

rayb39540414

I get an error that previous install .msi can't be found.  Same error if I try to uninstall.  Hard drive crash/corruption was likely the cause for the lost installation package folder.  I have the installation .exe for the previous version, but that won't reinstall either.  Hard drive has been replaced with SSD and upgraded to Windows 10 64 bit (Win 8.1  64 bit previously).  Ran chkdsk /f /r /x before cloning the old drive to the SSD and upgrading to Windows 10.  Anyway to get past this other than fresh install of Lightroom 5 and then upgrading?

• 1. Re: Cannot update Lightroom.
          rayb7694139 Level 1

Any ideas or responses?

• 2. Re: Cannot update Lightroom.
            deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi Rayb,

May i know from where are you installing the Lightroom, it is disc, or you have downloaded it from the Internet.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Cannot update Lightroom.
              rayb7694139 Level 1

Hi deepak,

This is version 5.  The original was purchased on-line as an upgrade to version 4.  I've upgraded up to version 5.4 since then but then the computer had issues so I haven't upgraded since.  Now I fixed those problems but cannot upgrade to version 5.7.  Since the Installation store was damaged and no longer exists, I'm stuck in no-man's land; can't install, upgrade or uninstall.

Thanks,

Ray

• 4. Re: Cannot update Lightroom.
                rayb7694139 Level 1

Hi Deepak, This is version 5.  The original was purchased on-line as an upgrade to version 4.  I've upgraded up to version 5.4 since then but then the computer had issues so I haven't upgraded since.  Now I fixed those problems but cannot upgrade to version 5.7.  Since the Installation store was damaged and no longer exists, I'm stuck in no-man's land; can't install, upgrade or uninstall. Thanks,Ray

FYI - same response sent to Light Room Forum

To: Ray Brown <r3lay3r@yahoo.com>

Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 7:36 PM

Subject:  Cannot update Lightroom.

Cannot update Lightroom.

created by deepakgahlot in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionHi Rayb, May i know from where are you installing the Lightroom, it is disc, or you have downloaded it from the Internet. Thanks If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7959179#7959179 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7959179#7959179 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 5. Re: Cannot update Lightroom.
                  deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

You can download the Lightroom 5.7.1 update from the below mentioned Link.

Adobe - Lightroom : For Macintosh : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1(MAC)

Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1(Windows)

It will as you for the Lightroom 4 serial number to activate the Lightroom 5, please make sure you have both the serial number handy for Lightroom 4 and 5.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Cannot update Lightroom.
                    rayb7694139 Level 1

No, those are the same downloads (at least the windows version) that I've tried.  The problem is that in the process of upgrading/installing or removing, the software probably reads from the registry where the previous version's installation store is located; usually c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp.  In there the installation store for previous location should reside.  Mine is missing, I think because of lost data which made the file unreadable, but I'm not certain

So when the installation runs, it gets to the point where it goes out to locate the store and you get the dialog shown below, basically stating that the file wasn't found and browse to the location where it might be found.  At that point, there is no other option other than quitting the installation (or upgrade or remove operation)

Lightroom 5.7.1 problem.png.

So what I need to some way to get past this error.  I might be able to clean any reference to lightroom from the registry so that the installation thinks it's loading to a computer which doesn't have lightroom installed, but that's always risky.  I have the dvd media for version 4 that I can load as a starting point and then upgrade from there.  I was hoping to download 5.0 again, but when I tried it still ran the 5.7.1 installer.  Later in the week I'll have some time to work on it again and I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for your help,

• 7. Re: Cannot update Lightroom.
                      Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi rayb,

You need to completely clean your system from Lightroom software's(All Version's) before you start any other upgrade for Lightroom.

You Remove the Lightroom Manually. Refer Uninstall Lightroom manually

Also you can use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool. Refer Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

I would Suggest you to use both ways to remove as much Lightroom Software or entries from your system. (You can leave the Catalog file's)

Then a System Restart is mandate.

You can directly install the Lightroom 5 and use both Serial number to get it Activated. Refer Download Photoshop Lightroom

Hope it helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 8. Re: Cannot update Lightroom.
                        rayb7694139 Level 1

Mohit & Deepak,

Thanks for your help.  I tried the last two suggestion sent by Mohit, but since both asked that you uninstall as their first step, neither could be completed as outlined.  I did what was suggested, at least as far as I could, removing the evidence of Lightroom from the files system, but even after that I couldn't get the upgrade to install.  It continued to search for the installation store for the previous version.  So I ended up doing as I suggested, I searched the registry and deleted most of the keys and values (left the registered components) which mentioned Lightroom 5.4.  Once I did that and rebooted, I was able to install version 5.7.1 by entering the software licence keys for version 4 & 5.

Thanks again,

Ray

• 9. Re: Cannot update Lightroom.
                          rayb7694139 Level 1

I would mark this as answered, if I could figure out how???  There is nothing under any of the replies that I can click on to marked as corrected?  My last response outlines what it took to correct the problem.