3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2015 10:36 AM by A.T. Romano

prel files

terrencet83558425

How can I add prel files to Premiere Elements 13 from Premiere Elements 2.0?

• 1. Re: prel files
          A.T. Romano Level 7

terrencet

You cannot import a Premiere Elements project file (.prel) into another Premiere Elements project file (.prel). That applies to all versions. But....

You can try to open a Premiere Elements 2.0 project file in Premiere Elements 13/13.1, but the odds are against you in doing that.

Your surest way is to export the Premiere Elements 2 Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then import that into your

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project with 13/13.1 Expert workspace's  Add Media/Files and Folders.

If the two versions are on the same computer, have you tried to open the Premiere Elements 2.0 project file in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 by right clicking the Premiere Elements 2.0 project file, selection Open With, and then Premiere Elements 13?

Please consider. If any questions on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: prel files
            terrencet83558425 Level 1

Thank you for your help.

I bought the new version because I spent a lot of time editing some rare old family movies and had problems with PE2.0.  I was unable add clips to the Media files.

I don't understand why these files can't be moved to other projects. This would add a lot of flexibility to movie making.  I tried opening the PE2.0 project file with PE13 and you were correct. It didn't work.

Later

Yes! By saving the old files as MPEG1 files I am able to use them in PE13.

Problem solved......Thanks again.

• 3. Re: prel files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

terrencet

Thanks for the reply. Glad that you still had Premiere Elements 2.0 for the export to file which you could then import into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project.

Caution. It is best to work from a copy of the project file from the old version when you are considering opening it in a later version.

Project file from older version opened in later version typically cannot be taken back to the older version for work.

There are marked changes from 2.0 to 13/13.1, so it is not unusually for the problems trying to open the 2.0 project in 13.0. But this could happen if the project involved versions 11 to 13 or some other combination. The possibility is there but the odds of success change dramatically.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements workflows. I still work with essentially all of the versions, so, if any questions, please do not hesitate to ask, and I will give you a version specific reply.

ATR