10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 10:07 AM by A.T. Romano

Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good

yvesg41608492

Hi, I am new to Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 13.

I have created a Slideshow from within Premiere Elements Organizer and the outcome is beautiful and pictures and video clips quality are very good. Please note I have not completed and exported the Slideshow project yet. I have only viewed it in the preview pane so far. The image size of the photos imported is 4288 X 2848. The videos and photos were created using my Nikon D90.

However, I tried to create a new photo video ( instead of a slideshow) from within Video Premiere Element Editor using same photos and video clips in my Project Assets. My thought is that a video will allow me more creativity by modifying and/or adding features such as, voice, transitions, effects, audio, etc. Surprisingly, the quality of the playback outcome is nowhere near that which I obtain in the Slideshow project created under Organizer. When I render and playback the created video, it is blurred, has a degree of pixellation and as such is distracting and unpleasant. I have not added any audio or other features yet.

Can anyone please help me in resolving this issue bearing in mind that I am a neophyte in the matter?

My operating system is:

Windows 10 Home

Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-3210 CPU @ 2.50 GHz

8.00 GB installed RAM (7.87 GB useable)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

778 GB free on the hard disk

Thank you

Yves

• 1. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are creating a DVD the specification is for 720x480

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798 may help

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Yves

And how many of the 4288 x 2848 3:2 stills are there?

If you are working with the Nikon D90, please confirm if your video files are 1280 x 720 @ 23.97 progressive frames per second as MotionJPEG.avi files? I have just downloaded some of these files from online, and I will give them a first hand look in my Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor and Elements Organizer.

Right now, you appear to be comparing previewing of the Premiere Elements and Elements Organizer products and have not gotten to the export to file or burn to disc stage yet for either. The real judge of quality is in the export not preview. To get a baseline of your situation, I would export the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 slideshow to 720pHD (AVCHD.mp4 file) to determine if the export to file works and the quality of the end product is good.

Then back in the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor, we can work on the considerations there.

In general...you have 3:2 frame aspect ratio stills for a 16:9 project and your project preset may not be correct for what seems to be a 720p24 source. And, also MotionJPEG video compression has its problems in Premiere Elements. But typically these problems are related to not being able to import the format at all rather than poor quality video.

Please review, consider, and give more information. We have yet to get to the part of how you want to export the Premiere Elements Editor project...DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc. Both can be produced with a regular DVD burner, but AVCHD on DVD disc cannot be played back on regular DVD player...need Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD on DVD or one of those multimedia players that supports AVCHD on DVD.

If you have not already, please up date 13 to 13.1 for both Editor and Elements Organizer.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
              yvesg41608492 Level 1

Thank you for your quick response.

Re: "how many of the 4288 x 2848 3:2 stills are there", there are 127 pictures

Re: "please confirm if your video files are 1280 x 720 @ 23.97 progressive frames per second as MotionJPEG.avi files", there are only 2 of them, 640 x 424, 24 fps, avi type. Hope this answers your question;

Re: "you appear to be comparing previewing of the Premiere Elements and Elements Organizer products and have not gotten to the export to file or burn to disc stage yet for either", this is correct;

Re: "I would export the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 slideshow to 720pHD (AVCHD.mp4 file)", I will do this and get back to you;

Re: "how you want to export the Premiere Elements Editor project...", I want to export on DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc;

Re: "please up date 13 to 13.1", this had already been done.

BTW, how should I refer to you? ATR? Or your first name?

Thank you!

Yves

• 4. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Yves

Thank you for the reply with details. New perspectives now that I know

Before beginning on what you have....

If you have not gotten too far into the video recording and editing, I would consider recording 1280 x 720p24 instead of what you are doing now. And, then keep a 720p workflow before taking it to NTSC DV Widescreen in Premiere Elements Editor or AVCHD.mp4 720p in Elements Organizer Slideshow Builder export.

But, based on what you wrote in post numbered 3....

a. Your video is 640 x 434 3:2 @ 24 progressive frames per second, neither a 4:3 or 16:9 video aspect ratio, and there is no Premiere Elements Editor project preset for that. Consequently, you could be starting with a 1920 x 1080i30 16:9 project preset for your 640 x 434 p24 3:2 video which is heading for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc (that format has a NTSC frame size of 720 x 480 and a 16:9 flag the stretches the video to 872 x 480 16:9 for display after encoding). The project preset directs the program to create the correct format space in the Edit monitor for editing your video. So, you can see the considerations here to avoid black borders or to manage the black borders that might not be avoided.

b. The stills with pixel dimensions 4288 x 2848 (all 127 of them) present more considerations. Assuming we force NTSC DV Widescreen project preset on your project, then the program needs to resize each of these 127 photos from 4288 x 2848 3:2 to 872 x 480 16:9. After that, user intervention in the scaling is likely to be needed to get the wanted view. System resources determines how much you can get away with in this regard before still downsizing before import is a consideration.

c. On the Elements Organizer slideshow side of things, there are only two opportunities for export of your slideshow from the Slideshow Builder - 720p (AVCHD.mp4 1280 x 720 16:9) or 1080p (AVCHD.mp4 1920 x 1080 16:9). Each seems to be using a fixed 30 frames per second progressive frame rate, not 24. And, your sources are only 640 x 424 3:2 p24 (video) and you also have 4288 x 2848 3:2 (stills).

And scaling up may result in image pixelation, scaling down is not expect to result in pixelation but is a sharp contrast 4288 x 2848 3:2 to 872 x 480 16:9.

It will be interesting to see if the Elements Organizer Slideshow export goes to completion as a 720p and, if it does, what the quality of it is.

Thanks for reading through the comments.

ATR

Add On...I prefer to be identified just as ATR in the forum discussions. It has been that way since I first began participating in the Premiere Elements Forums discussions. Thanks for the curiosity of asking.

• 5. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
                  yvesg41608492 Level 1

Thank you ATR. As I mentioned earlier I am a neophyte in the matter and this is all good guidance on your part.

Re: "consider recording 1280 x 720p24" in your 1st para., I will in the future do that. I travel and occasionally make use of videos. I'd rather take pictures but more recently I have started to also make videos using my camera. I like the idea of creating movies which combines pictures, clips, narration, music, etc.

Re: "the Elements Organizer Slideshow export goes to completion as a 720p", I did that and it went well. The export completed as a 720p on my computer without any problem. The quality is also good, considering that I had also added text slide and captions. I am satisfied.

Re: "you could be starting with a 1920 x 1080i30 16:9 project preset" in your subparagraph a. , I took a look at Edit>Project Settings>General... and the project settings are already at 1920 x 1080i30 16:9 project preset. And yes indeed there are black borders. So, I may have misunderstood your point. I am not sure... Could you please clarify or elaborate a little further?

Re: "user intervention in the scaling is likely to be needed" in same subparagraph a., should I de-activate "Scale to Frame Size"?

Re: "Assuming we force NTSC DV Widescreen project preset", am I to change the settings accordingly? If so, there are many NTSC presets available: AVCHD, DSLR, DV, FLIP...etc. Is this what you are referring to? If so, under DV there are 2 choices one of which is "Widescreen 48 kHz" and this should be the one I should select? Also there is a box called "Force selected Project Setting on this project". I assume I should be doing this as well.

Thank you for your continued guidance on this.

Yves

• 6. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Yves

Thanks for the follow up.

1. I am very pleased, a little surprised, by the excellent AVCHD.mp4 720p (1280 x 720) slideshow from the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Slideshow since your source media

were

640 x 424 3:2 @ 24 progressive frames per second video

and 4288 x 2848 3:2 pixels (127 in all) photos

Apparently the feature did a remarkable job of scaling and encoding the files to the 1280 x 720 16:9 export settings to give you the AVCHD.mp4 file.

2. Premiere Elements Editor - Project Settings/Setting Project Preset

The project preset is designed to be set automatically by the project based on its analysis of the properties of the first file dragged to the workspace Timeline. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not. In the not case, then you set the project preset manually before you import the file into the project. You set the project preset manually according to the following scheme

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                    • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media if you can. OK out of there.
                    • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                    • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

The obvious role of the project preset is to direct the program to set the correct format space in the Edit area monitor for editing. There are also some less obvious roles for setting the project preset....interlaced versus progress frame rate, directing the project as to what to offer you in the way of Movie Menu theme formats (standard, standard widescreen, or high definition).

If the project cannot give the correct project preset, it gives you its default which is NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or the PAL counterpart.

When you want to intervene with your own scaling in the Edit area monitor, you have two choices

1. Project-wise....Before you import the source files in the project, Edit Menu/Preferences/General and removal of the check mark in front of Default Scale to Frame Size preference

2. Assuming Default Scale to Frame Size enabled in preferences....After the source files are imported and are on the Timeline, at the level of the Timeline...right click the file, and remove the check mark in front of Scale to Frame Size

Note: click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image bounding box, and then scale the image with one of the handles of the bounding box.

Since there are no project presets for your source media...please try the following as a suggested counterpart for what you accomplished in the Elements Organizer slideshow.

Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p24 (set manually before importing photos and videos)

Import your source media and scale to fit the 1280 x 720 space established in the Edit area monitor by the project preset setting.

Possible export...

1. To file...no menus possible...Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - HD 720p24

or

2. Burn to disc DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc....Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with Preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. The only frame rate would be 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

If you are in a PAL setup for your program, things look a little better....on the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen side of things...note

NTSC 720 x 480 16:9 where the 16:9 flag stretches the video to 872 x 480 for display after encoding

whereas

PAL 720 x 576 16:9 where the 16:9 flag stretches the video to 1050 x 576 for display after encoding

Please review and consider. Please let me know if you are OK with the details. If any problems, please do not hesitate to ask questions on what I need to clarify or add.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
                      yvesg41608492 Level 1

Hello ATR, once again thank you for the comments provided.

Re: "Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p24 (set manually before importing photos and videos)", as you suggested, I first changed the Project Preset manually, imported source media and it worked very well. I played back the video and it is already very smooth and the pictures are very nice (127 of them), even though I have not yet rendered the timeline.

However, you also suggest "Import your source media and scale to fit the 1280 x 720 space established in the Edit area monitor by the project preset setting." When you say ..."and scale to fit the 1280 x720 space...., I am not certain at what stage I should do this? Before importing the source media or after? Can you please further clarify this point for me.

Thanks

Yves

• 8. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Yves

Thanks for the reply. And, wonderful news of your progress.

The scaling is done only after you import your files to the Timeline since you are bringing  3:2 video and stills into a 1280 x 720 16:9 Edit area monitor space which was established for the project by the selection of the project preset. Even with the Default Scale to Frame Size in effect, there are going to be black borders. You are scaling in that space to fill the space just to the point where the black borders are not seen.

Key point, if you do not want black borders for video and stills, scale them in the Edit area monitor to present as 16:9 which is consistent with the intended 16:9 export or burn to disc 16:9 NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Since you have video and audio in this project, I would use scaling in Edit area monitor space for the task of creating the uniformity and no black borders in this particular presentation. I think it may be easier in future projects when and if you explore recording in 720p instead of using your present settings.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
                          yvesg41608492 Level 1

Hi ATR, thank you for all of the foregoing clarifications. These have helped me tremendously. I think I am now up and running.....thanks to you.

But I have a last question and for my future reference please. Earlier you said:

Since there are no project presets for your source media...please try the following as a suggested counterpart for what you accomplished in the Elements Organizer slideshow.

Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p24 (set manually before importing photos and videos)

I am just curious to understand the logic behind what first prompted you to recommend the Project Preset NTSC AVCHD Lite 720p24 instead of any other preset. Can you please elaborate a little this point as this could be helpful in the future?

Thank you

Yves

• 10. Re: Photo video quality in Premiere Elements 13 is as good
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Yves

Wonderful news of your progress and results. Great job.

The whole thought was to maintain a 16:9 workflow.

You were dealing with low resolution video (649 x 424) and high resolution still (4288 x 2848), each with 3:2 aspect ratio. Premiere Elements project presets are 4:3 or 16:9 and did not have a project preset to match those properties and provide the appropriate Edit Monitor space for editing. And, the Premiere Elements Editor destination was to be NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen 16:9.

Your successful results with your source videos and stills in the Elements Organizer Slideshow export of 720p (1280 x 720 16:9) suggested a forced manually set Premiere Elements Editor project preset for 1280 x 720 16:9 (NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p30). The latter would result in a 1280 x 720 16:9 space in the monitor where you could manually scale the 3:2 source to fit the 16:9 space without black borders and distortion. The assumption was, if the Elements Organizer could accomplish this scaling and export for 720p, maybe the Premiere Elements Editor could do this also with some maneuvers.

The plan: 16:9 Timeline content in a 16:9 project which was destined for a 16:9 export, in this case NTSC_Widescreen_DVD to give you NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc. (This final product has a 720 x 480 frame size and a 16:9 flag which stretches the video to 16:9 for display after encoding (872 x 480 16:9).

There are more details but the above are the basics of how I was thinking to navigate through the workflow under the circumstances. You provided the key with your Elements Organizer Slideshow 720p export results.

Please let me know if you need supplemental information on your Premiere Element workflows.

Best wishes

ATR