11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 5:33 PM by NurseNoble

XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom

NurseNoble

I was watching the Tim Grey (B&H) video regarding organizing photos in Lightroom. In order to create XMP sidecar files, he stated to change the setting under catalog settings, in which I did. However, my computer slowed down substantially and I noticed that it created over 25,000 sidecar files on my desktop. I'm not sure what happened, but I now have 25,000+ desktop thumbnails that I need to do something with....delete? move? I'm not sure what to do. I know this probably sounds idiotic to some of the expert Lightroomers on here...but, I'm brand new. I switched from Aperture a month ago. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

• 1. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

The xmp files are supposed to be in the same folder that the photos are in. Is that what happened? Most likely you can delete the xmp files, but don't do that yet until you answer these questions.

However, there is no real need for xmp files to re-organize your photos, and in fact there is some information that is in your catalog that is NEVER written to xmp, so you will lose information from your catalog if you do this.

So, perhaps you could describe what your goals are, and we can advise a better way of doing things.

• 2. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you turn this on initially it can take a long time before it generates sidecars and can really slow down your computer indeed. It should generate the xmp files right next to your raw files and not somewhere else so I am at a loss as to why it would put them on your desktop. That should not happen except when your raw files are all on your desktop. In general there is no point in doing this as Lightroom stores its changes in the catalog file in a far faster and efficient manner. The xmp sidecars are only necessary if you share files or want to access them in Bridge. Automatic saving can really slow down your editing and I would generally advise against enabling it. You can always manually generate them for a folder if you need them (metadata menu -> Save Metadata to File)

• 3. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
              NurseNoble Level 1

Thank you so much for your response. I'm also chatting with Tim Grey who

said it sounds like I inadvertently created extra JPEG files on my desktop.

Upon further research, it does seem as though I've done this. He suggested

verifying my photos are safe in Lightroom and then opening finder and

deleting the extra JPEG files that were created on my desktop. I am a new

Lightroom user....I'm also new with Raw editing. So, I'm not sure what

happened, but I'm going to try Tim's solution. Thanks much for taking the

time to write me back!

• 4. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
                dj_paige Level 9

Well, I'd like to advise that you are 100% sure that the JPGs that your are going to delete are indeed the photos you want to delete and not the photos you want to keep. If you are in error, you could cause yourself major problems. Furthermore, if you had 25000 JPGs on your desktop, wouldn't you know about this before the XMP files were created? This is very suspicious and difficult to understand.

Again, I request that you explain your end goals, because as I said earlier, and as Jao vdL said, you don't need XMP files for reorganizing or for any purpose other than sharing with other Adobe applications. So I advise you to not go down this path of using XMP files for your reorganizing.

• 5. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am a little worried about deleting files outside of Lightroom. Make sure that those are not your originals that you inadvertently moved! Also with jpeg files you should not see extra xmp files. Those will get stored inside the jpeg file. Only with proprietary raw files will you see xmp sidecars.

• 6. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
                    dj_paige Level 9

Can you show us a screen capture of what you are seeing?

• 7. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
                      NurseNoble Level 1

I was just in the process of trying to create XMP sidecars...but apparently I did it incorrectly and it created copies of all my JPEG files. All the thumbnails on my desktop (25,000+) say JPEG. When I looked in Lightroom, as Tim suggested, all my photos are still there. I think I'm safe to delete. Either way, I will only delete a few and verify they're still in Lightroom.....then, if they are, I will delete the rest. Thanks again.

• 8. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
                        NurseNoble Level 1

Thank you! I don't think this is so much about XMP creation as it is I inadvertently created copies of all my JPEG pictures on my desktop. I'm not sure how this happened, but it appears as though this is indeed the case. I'm in the process of testing out Tim Grey's suggestions. I will keep you posted on how it works. Thanks again!

• 9. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
                          NurseNoble Level 1

I was also nervous about deleting outside of Lightroom...that is why I contacted Tim before doing anything. But, it does appear that extra JPEG files were accidentally created on my desktop. I know this problem sounds idiotic....I'm not sure how it happened, other than I am a brand new Lightroom user. I'll keep you posted on the fix. Thanks again!

• 10. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
                            dj_paige Level 9

I'd like to again request that you show us a screen capture, because as Jao vdL has pointed out, Mr. Grey's suggestion that the XMP files are somehow related to JPGs is completely incorrect, and as I have been saying, you don't need xmp files for reorganizing. I believe you are proceeding based on false information or false understanding of what should be done.

If you're going to delete anything, you could delete the XMP files, and if we can figure out what JPGs you are talking about and how they relate to your Lightroom library, then we can properly move forward.

• 11. Re: XMP Sidecar files in Lightroom
                              NurseNoble Level 1

Thanks again for your suggestions. All worked out well. Tim was correct. I did inadvertently create JPEG files on my desktop. I have deleted all 2,500+ and my system is back to running smoothy. I appreciate your suggestions!