16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 1:32 AM by Peter Spier

How to keep a master page item editable

kristenkakos Level 1

Hi all,

I've been working in inDesign for a while now, learning from tutorials and web searches.  I know that what I want to do is possible, and am having trouble accomplishing it.  Do you have time to help, or point me in the right direction?

I'm working in inDesign CS6.

I'm building one of a series of instruction books. Each chapter will be the same - images with instructions underneath.  The way that I've built them so far, I have a master page for each page of the chapter, and have locked all the items on that page so that I don't accidentally click and drag an image or text block out of place. Each page has about 10 items on it.  When dealing with the layout pages,I need to click "Override all master page items" in order to input text or images, because overriding

In this next book, we have a few more background items - for instance, the page numbers will be within a colored circle.  I don't know what color that circle will be yet.  So I'll build it into the master page using the color we have now.  But since the color may change, I want to make sure it will be changeable via changing it in the Master Page.

I think that with the way I am building the Master Pages now, I won't be able to change that item via Master Page. 

Can you help?

I can provide a link to or screen shot of a page of one of the books I've worked on in, which will be very similar in layout to this one, if that helps.

- Kristen

• 1. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
          smoothsea Level 3

Hi Kristen,

It sounds a little like you are over-using master pages. You shouldn't need a master page for every page of your chapter because the only things that should appear on master pages are those (like the page numbers you mentioned) which will never change. Any other elements which will require editing in some way should go onto your document pages. You're quite right to put the page numbers on a master because then when you get your final colour, you only have to change it in one place. I would never recommend overriding all master page items because it negates the benefits of using a master page in the first place.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 2. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
            kristenkakos Level 1

Ahh, interesting.  Thanks so much, Malcolm. I came over to inDesign from using Quark ages ago, so I am likely remembering the way to use that program.

Since I have so many pages that are all the same layout, do you know if I can apply one Master Page with that info, override, and then apply a Second Master page - this time with the page numbers/colored circle?

- Kristen

• 3. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
              smoothsea Level 3

Hi Kristen,

If you need more than one master page, and want the second master to be similar to the first but with some items added, then create a new master "Based on" the first one - you'll see the option in your pages palette menu. I can't think of a situation where you would want to override any master page item. You can only ever apply one master to a document page.

Does that explain it any better?

Regards,

Malcolm

• 4. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                kristenkakos Level 1

That does answer the question, thanks.  If you have time for a follow-up...

I'm still not sure about the best way of getting all the items into the layout pages without using Master Pages, though. 

Below is a sample spread from one of my earlier books.  You can see the number of text/image blocks.  The book has 30+ ties in it, hundreds of pages overall.  Can you suggest how to get a layout created without using a Master Page for all those items? 

Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 1.28.43 PM.png

• 5. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                  smoothsea Level 3

HI Kristen,

After just a quick look at your pages, the only common elements that would belong on a master page are the running heads and the page numbers. Everything else should be added onto the document pages. On the other hand, what you could do to make your life easier is to put guides onto your master page so that you can quickly drag out the text and image frames that you need.

In addition, you can simplify the layout by putting the method step numbers into the same frame as the method description. Use a tab to separate the number from the description and apply a first line indent to your paragraph style (eg left indent 6mm, first-line indent -6mm).

Regards,

Malcolm

• 6. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                    kristenkakos Level 1

Thanks again for responding.  That's a lot more work and time, with so many pages.  But it does give me an idea.

What I am trying as a workaround is to create two master pages - one with just the chapter headers and page numbers, and another with the rest of the blank page info - all the text and image boxes.  I'll apply the first master to the layout pages, then go into the second master, select all, copy and paste-in-place onto the layout page.

Thanks so much for your advice!

- Kristen

• 7. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                      smoothsea Level 3

No worries Kristen - good luck.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 8. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

One more thing... Overriding all master page items is bad. If you need to override an individual object, use Ctrl + Shift on Windows, or Cmd + Shift on Mac and click the object on the document page to make it editable.

• 9. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                          kristenkakos Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks much for your response.  Yeah, I always figured I was working around something by doing that to the entire page.  But it worked at the time.  I had so many text and image boxes (over 30) on every page that I overriding each individual object was arduous.

I've got a new idea for this book: I'm creating two master pages - one with just the chapter headers and page numbers, and another with the rest of the blank page info - all the text and image boxes.  I'll apply the first master to the layout pages, then go into the second master, select all, copy and paste-in-place onto the layout page.  Essentially using the second master page as a layout holder. It will never be applied, just copied from.

Thanks again for your advice.

- Kristen

• 10. Re: How to keep a master page item editable

For placeholder frames you don't need to override to Place content into them, just hover the loaded cursor over them (make sure you are not over a guide of any sort) and click. The frame will override automatically.

• 11. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                              kristenkakos Level 1

I'm not finding that to be the case.  When I hover with an image over a frame, and click, it creates a new frame with the image inside. 

I'm guessing because the master page frame is locked, maybe?

Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 2.35.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-13 at 2.32.00 PM.png

• 12. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                                smoothsea Level 3

Yes - locking the item on the master page disables this feature. I never knew that! Mind you, I don't often lock individual items anyway - I would put them on a locked layer.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 13. Re: How to keep a master page item editable

There's a preference for allowing locked frames to be selectable. If you enable that you can lock them and they can't be moved, but you can add content.

• 14. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                                    kristenkakos Level 1

Well, that sounds like exactly what I want to do. Be able to select and edit, without losing master page settings like font and frame shape in case I want to change later.

This is the kind of thing that I love forums for, because I didn't know the right phrasing to find the answer that I needed.

Thanks so much, Peter.  I feel a little silly now, since this is something so easily changed.

Off to create a newer, better, master page and layout scheme!

• 15. Re: How to keep a master page item editable
                                      Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

What you can do is to make a page with all frames as placeholder. Select all and make a library element from them. When you place them by command they keep position or if you use a CC library hold down the alt key when placing a library element to keep position exactly as it was.

• 16. Re: How to keep a master page item editable

That's a lot of unnecessary work just to avoid using placeholders on the master page...