9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 5:02 PM by A.T. Romano

It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?

lynetteg67967795

Why does Adobe Premeiere Elements 12 run so slow now when I edit but once was fast?  I take 1000 pictures,  each picture is set at 00;00;00;03 and its stops and starts.  It use to run fast but not now. 

• 1. Re: It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lynetteg

What computer operating system is involved? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

How long have you been working with Premiere Elements 12/12.1? And, over that period of time, when did the slow performance set in? Does the performance vary from project to project? Or, has it been a continuing degrading of project performance?

What is your typical project with these1000 pictures? What are pixel dimensions of the pictures? How are you editing these 1000 pictures?

What is the project preset that you are using? What else is in these projects besides the 1000 pictures? What is the destination for these photos?

Have you optimized the computer

a. Have you done a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)...assuming Windows computer

CCleaner - Download

b. Is you computer on an automatic defragmentation schedule?

c. Have you cleared out pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files?

If Windows, see Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder and Media Cache Files Folder.

If Windows, see Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database area with the Clean Now button.

Let us start here and decide what next. Any questions on the questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?
            lynetteg67967795 Level 1

Hello Mr Romano,

We have been working with 12/12 since Decemeber 2014.  It started in July.  t just slow all around. My son makes stop motion pictures, by using his nascars and taking pictures while moving them around the track he made.  He adds in music, and 10 second videos. I change the duration when editing and the mega pixil I don't know. He makes stop motions for enjoyment. A lot of them. Once he is done he deletes the pictures. I run a cleaner a lot.

Blessings

Lynette

-

"A.T. Romano" <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

A.T. Romano  created the discussion

"It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7959115#7959115

>

• 3. Re: It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?
              lynetteg67967795 Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano,

Thanks for helping us. We have been working with premeire element 12 since Decemeber 2014.  It started in July running slow.  It

just slow all around. My son makes stop motion pictures, by using his nascars

and taking pictures while moving them around the track he made.  He adds in

music, and 10 second videos. He changes the duration when editing and the mega

pixil I don't know. He makes stop motions for enjoyment. A lot of them. Once he

is done he deletes the pictures/files off the computer and adobe. I run a cleaner a lot. He uses a canon camera x50.

Blessings

Lynette

• 4. Re: It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?
                lynetteg67967795 Level 1

My system is Dell windows 10.  We had 8 but updated to 8.  It ran slow with 8 also

• 5. Re: It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynette

Thanks for the replies.

Since slowness in performance is the major symptom for your Premiere Elements 12/12.1, we could look in at least 2 directions.

1. The Premiere Elements projects may have more complex Timeline structure and format content and may be of longer duration.

But, it sounds like you son is creating Timelapse video with a Timeline of these 1000 photos (each 3 frames duration). What are the pixel dimensions of each of those 1000 photos. Could you try to find that information? It may be that the numbers of oversized photos has increased and that you might need to resize the photos before import to maybe 1920 x 1080 if they are too much over that size.

a. What are the pixel dimensions of each of the 1000 photos?

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

2. In spite of computer cleaners, you may have a build up of files resulting from the projects automatically generating and saving them to a computer hard drive location. That is what I was referring to when I wrote previously

c. Have you cleared out pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files?

If Windows, see Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder and Media Cache Files Folder.

If Windows, see Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database area with the Clean Now button.

Are you all clear there in those locations?

3. When you say that the project performance is slowing down, what activities are slowed the most?

But, let me ask so that I am clear on your details. Who is being affected by the slow project performance - your son with his Timelapse videos or you with your personal projects or both of you using the same computer?

Please consider and, then based on your observations and results, we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?
                    lynetteg67967795 Level 1

Thank you.  Sorry I did not get back with you sooner.  We had to go out of town.

1. We found out the pixels and its 4000x3000.  We lowered close to what you recommended.

2. We cleared out the first file but we can't find the edit menu.  Can you tell me where?

3. The only slowing is when he is working on his project, the stop motion pictures.

Thank you.  Let me know , what we should do next.

Blessings

Lynette

• 7. Re: It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynette

Thanks for the follow up with important troubleshooting information.

First thing to do is to evaluate the impact of performance of importing 1000 photos as 1920 x 1080 instead of 4000 x 3000.

1000 jpeg photos each with pixel dimensions 4000 x 3000 which have a frame aspect ratio of 4:3 is a natural place to point to for any slowness in performance in this case. What kind of computer resources do you have...processor, clock speed, installed available RAM, free hard drive space?

How is your son planning on exporting this Timeline content - file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc -

DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

If you are going for a high definition project and export, then you should have your 1000 photos with 16:9 frame aspect ratio, maximum

suggested (if the system will permit) 1920 x 1080 which is 16:9. That is going to call for batch cropping resizing, rather than just resizing to avoid distortion.

If you do not have a favorite program for batch cropping resizing photos, as a starter, you could look at the free IrfanView

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

But, we can give you more information on the extent of cropping resizing or just resizng based on to what the Timeline content is exported.

Moving forward he might want to work with these Time Lapse projects using photos from the camera in a 16:9 image size.

ATR

• 8. Re: It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?
                        lynetteg67967795 Level 1

At,

Hello.  We lowered the pixels on the camera.  Now its not moving slow.  Thanks for all your help.

Blessings

Lynette

• 9. Re: It runs sooo slow when I am editing, Why?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lynetteg

Wonderful news. Thank you for letting us know the results. Well done in your follow through to enhance the performance of your Premiere Elements projects.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions or need clarifications on the Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes for great video taking and video presentations.

ATR