8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2015 3:56 PM by nakauri

Will premiere run cs5.5 with a gtx 980?

nakauri

Or do I have to upgrade the version on this pc?

Upgraded from an HD 6950 to a GTX 980. Premiere wouldn't open without a serious error occurring. Deleting the styles and preference folders worked. But if I select h.264 as my export format it still has the error. So I can open the program and edit, but I cannot render. Other renders work, just not h.264.

Here is an image of the error. http://i.imgur.com/AaihHTn.png

Could not find a solution on Google, but maybe I don't understand the error enough to search it appropriately. What is happening?

edit; the video card is fine, seated properly, is detected, works with all other programs, etc

• 1. Re: Will premiere run cs5.5 with a gtx 980?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st, have you done the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557

2nd, what is your exact driver?

Right click in any open area of the Windows desktop

Select NVIDIA Control Panel from the popup window

Select SYSTEM INFORMATION at the lower left corner

Driver version should be the 1st line in Details

I have a GTX760 using driver 335.23 and Win8.1

Also go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter

•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: Will premiere run cs5.5 with a gtx 980?
            nakauri Level 1

Thanks.

I have added the card to the CUDA list, but not through that method. I will give it a try and report back. It's just the h.264 that is not working though - would this cause that?

My driver is 347.52. I had the latest but it was very unstable and constantly crashing (the driver, not programs), so I rolled back to a more known, stable version. This is on Win7 64.

• 3. Re: Will premiere run cs5.5 with a gtx 980?
              cc_merchant Level 4

Update the driver to 355.82, apply the hack and it will work. Rendering for export is done by the CPU, not the GPU. See Tweakers Page - What video card to use?

• 4. Re: Will premiere run cs5.5 with a gtx 980?
                nakauri Level 1

Checked the CUDA tweak - the method I used last month looks to have worked then. Ran GPUsniffer in cmd and it recognized the GTX 980.

I tried this prior with the 355.82 drivers. I had the same problem. In addition, the 355 drivers were insanely unstable and the graphics driver constantly crashed - particularly troubling in video games. Rolled it back to a stable version and am not interested in using the 355.82 driver, especially knowing it already was not the fix. My problems persist on 355.82, it did not work.

Opened Premiere again today. Tried to import an mp4 file that previously imported fine. Also imports fine with movie maker. Premiere could not see the video, only the audio, where once it saw video too. Given it also cannot render mp4 video, I assume this is something specific along these veins. Thoughts?

• 5. Re: Will premiere run cs5.5 with a gtx 980?
                  cc_merchant Level 4

Can you try with source material from a regular video camera, so that your material can be ruled out as the cause of the problem..

• 6. Re: Will premiere run cs5.5 with a gtx 980?
                    nakauri Level 1

Other source material works fine. It's just mp4 - any mp4. Including other mp4's that previously imported fine with the AMD video card. Similarly, it is only the h.264 (mp4) render that it cannot do - any other render works fine. I have been rendering video as mpeg this past week to bypass the problem.

These mp4 files that it cannot see video from are read fine by Windows Movie Maker. So I have been taking the clips into Movie Maker and rerendering them as wmv's, which are then seen by premiere. But importing the mp4's into WMM, rendering, importing into Premiere, editing and exporting as mpeg is a lot less desirable (and far more inconvenient) than simply importing the mp4's straight into Premiere with audio and video intact.

So, the material is the problem, but it's not the specific video material. These MP4s imported into premiere fine with the AMD card. This problem is only with Nvidia. I don't understand why mp4 and h.264 would have problems only with Premiere+Nvidia? A stretch here, but when WMM imports the mp4's it spends time converting the video to optimize playback. Previously when I did this into premiere with the old AMD video card, it did something similar. Is the problem that premiere and nvidia do not have a process set up to do the same thing, whereby it just discards the video data?

• 7. Re: Will premiere run cs5.5 with a gtx 980?
                      cc_merchant Level 4

MP4 is just a wrapper. The codec used inside that wrapper determines success or failure to edit without problems. In your case the codec within this MP4 wrapper is the cause of your problem.

The fact that the 980 works as expected with other source material, means there is nothing wrong with the 980. So your original question is answered. For your specific MP4 material, conversion to an editable format like regular video cameras use, may be the only solution at this moment.

• 8. Re: Will premiere run cs5.5 with a gtx 980?
                        nakauri Level 1

I'm not sure I understand.

Yes, the MP4 is just a wrapper, and in a lot of cases an MP4 is not editable. All of the source files I am using, that have always been MP4, are no longer editable after my new video card. They WERE editable with my old video card. The MP4 and MP4 source has not changed, just the video card.

IE, files downloaded from youtube were always MP4. I could edit these with my AMD video card. Files recorded with my screen recorder were always MP4, and I could edit those with my AMD video card. All my video files from my GoPro are also MP4, and I could edit those with my AMD video card.

I cannot edit them in Premiere Pro with the GTX 980. I can edit them in every other program.