5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 8:07 AM by A.T. Romano

Elements 10 playback issues

mediaspec2015 Level 1

I installed Premiere Elements 10 on my HP Pavilion p7-1155 computer, which is three years old and fairly basic.  When I play back the clips which I have already created for my first video project, the playback in the monitor window is not always smooth, and there are brief delays in any clip which uses pan-and-zoom.  A friend says that I need a "video card," but I was never prompted for anything like that when I installed the Elements software and began my first project.  As an Elements novice, I don't even know what a video card is.  Is my problem related to my lack of that card or to my computer hardware in general?  And am I likely to encounter problems once I finish my project and try to burn it to DVD or upload to YouTube?  All the other features and tools of Elements are working fine on my computer.  For example, I have no problem getting media or inserting media, creating transitions, etc.

• 1. Re: Elements 10 playback issues
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Without hardware DETAILS nobody is going to be able to say if that is your problem... or not

Jerky or slow playback http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217 may help

• 2. Re: Elements 10 playback issues
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mediaspec

Your computer should have some sort of video card/graphics card.

What computer operating system are you using...Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit or something else?

Knowing what video card/graphics card that your computer uses is very important especially if you have Premiere Element 10.

In your computer, can your find the Device Manager? If you can, go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/ and find the name of your

video card/graphics card. If the card is a NVIDIA GeForce one, then please let us know. There is a serious problem with Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce where the solution you need to roll back the card's driver version to about May 2013 rather than update the card to the latest version.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

Do you have anyone who can help you will the video card/graphics card matter so we can decide if there is a problem there. If not, I could try to explain further with screenshots.

There are other troubleshooting paths for us to follow once we rule in or out the above.

Project Settings

Properties of the files that you are bringing the project

Whether or not you are doing Timeline rendering. What happens if you go to Timeline Menu and select and click on Render Work Area? Do you see a Render dialog?

Are you working with the latest version of QuickTime installed along with Premiere Elements 10 on your computer, and are you running the programs as administrator?

If you have any questions about the questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We can go at whatever troubleshooting pace you prefer.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Elements 10 playback issues
              mediaspec2015 Level 1

Thank you for your suggestions.  I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.  I followed your suggestion and checked Display Adapters.  There is no NVIDIA GeForce listed, only Intel(R) Graphics Family.

Following the Elements manual, I have been sure to import digital images which are no larger than 1000x750.  The clips in my Elements movie are made up entirely of still images, nearly all of which use the pan-and zoom feature.  I am not importing digital video at all.

Under Project Settings, I have DV NTSC as my Editing Mode.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to assist me, and I welcome any further suggestions.

Sincerely,

William McLoughlin

• 4. Re: Elements 10 playback issues
                mediaspec2015 Level 1

Please forgive me for failing to supply the details of my issue.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.  I followed your suggestion and checked Display Adapters.  There is no NVIDIA GeForce listed, only Intel(R) Graphics Family.

Following the Elements manual, I have been sure to import digital images which are no larger than 1000x750.  The clips in my Elements movie are made up entirely of still images, nearly all of which use the pan-and zoom feature.  I am not importing digital video at all.

Under Project Settings, I have DV NTSC as my Editing Mode.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to assist me, and I welcome any further suggestions.

Sincerely,

William McLoughlin

• 5. Re: Elements 10 playback issues
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

William McLoughlin

Thanks for the follow up.

With your Premiere Elements 10 on Window 7 64 bit, you should be able to import photos larger than 1000 x 750 but I do not believe that is the issue here.

Your issue is targeting Timeline playback issues in a project which appears to be set for either NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen.

Are you saying that the playback issues are targeting only the imported photos to which you have applied the pan and zoom effect? If so, what are you using to create the pan and zoom effect?

a. Pan and Zoom Tool

b. Keyframing of motion properties of Scale (for zoom) and Position (for pan)

or

c. Presets under Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Presets and the categories for Pan and Zoom...in this route, it is pan or zoom, not pan and zoom.

If the above is consistent with your current problem, then let us explore the pan and zoom techniques that you are using. If you believe that the playback issue impacts all photo (pan and zoom or not), then we will consider other troubleshooting schemes. Also, please confirm whether the playback issues are before or after export and how the present at playback?

Thanks.

ATR