5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 9:22 PM by JimHess

Camera Raw Plug-in 8.7.1

charlesc64098707

I'm running Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS5. When I try to edit LR images in CS5 I'm told PS Camera Raw Plug-in 8.7.1 is required for full compatibility and that it's available through CS5>Help>Updates.

For some reason I am not able to install the download and continually asked to update to Camera Raw 8.7.1. What is wrong?

• 1. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in 8.7.1
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photoshop CS5 is only compatible with Camera Raw 6.7. That is the latest version of Camera Raw you can use. So it will be necessary for you to use the option to edit a copy that includes Lightroom adjustments.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in 8.7.1
            charlesc64098707 Level 1

Thanks Jim. I’d just like to know if it’s possible to edit an adjusted copy without leaving a copy in Lightroom. Or will the Lightroom copy have the CS5 adjustments. When done?

• 3. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in 8.7.1

In a Lightroom/Photoshop workflow, the master images are always in Lightroom. Lightroom will send a copy to Photoshop to enable you to make further adjustments. When you save the work in Photoshop the resulting PSD or TIF image (depending on your Lightroom preferences) will be included in your Lightroom catalog. So all of the adjustments made using Photoshop will be included in that new image. Then, if you find it necessary, you can continue to work on that new image in Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in 8.7.1
                charlesc64098707 Level 1

Thank you very much for the info.

All that’s left is that I’d like to know what are the differences between TIF and PSD? Speed, size, are adjustments saved on one or the other reversible etc.?

• 5. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in 8.7.1

TIF is a standard file format recognized by many different software programs, and is an industry-standard for storing lossless information. PSD is a Photoshop document, developed by Adobe and is not as widely accepted. Both file formats are excellent for storing pixel image data. Both file formats can store images without any loss quality. Personally, I prefer to use the TIF format. As far as whether or not they are reversible, that is an interesting question. Once either one of those file formats is saved in Photoshop, for example, all of the adjustments become part of the pixel information. You would not be able to open either file format and reverse previous adjustments. Either the TIF or PSD format can be opened in Lightroom. Any adjustments that are made in Lightroom are reversible, just as those adjustments are reversible on raw or JPEG images.