10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 2:22 PM by Willi Adelberger

Spanish

mizhicks Level 1

I'm working on a Spanish publication in InDesign CS 5.5. Is there a way to change the character palette to Spanish?

• 1. Re: Spanish
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Do you mean the language field in the character palette? Well - yes. I assume you tried clicking the language dropdown and selected "Spanish". However, if you think it ought to change the language for all of your text, you are wrong. It works the same as all other Character attributes, you have to apply it to some text.

Easiest way is actually to not use the Character palette at all for this. You should set the language in your Paragraph styles.

• 2. Re: Spanish
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Did you set up your paragraph styles with Spanish. This is the first place where you have to do it.

Never work without paragraph styles.

If Spanish is your primary language you have to set up the paragraph styles with that. Reserve character styles or other settings for exceptions.

• 3. Re: Spanish
              mizhicks Level 1

Thank you for responding. OK - so I set up a paragraph style and set the language for Spanish. Typed something....Looks exactly like English. I'm definitely stumped.

• 4. Re: Spanish

What should look different? Only a Castilian dictionary for spell checking and hyphenation is used and Spanish apostrophes instead of the English ones.

If an OTF font supports Castilian it would also affect the Spanish letter combinations ch or ll in case if specific ligatures are available. But I suppose, most fonts would not make a difference here.

• 5. Re: Spanish
                  mizhicks Level 1

For instance, an upside-down question mark in front of a question.

• 6. Re: Spanish

You have to type it as you have to type any other letter too. Why should InDesign know, that the sentence is a question or an aclamation?

¿ = Alt + ? (Mac)

¡ = Alt +  ! (Mac)

• 7. Re: Spanish
                      mizhicks Level 1

I have never had to put together a Spanish publication before, so this is all new to me. It seems like I just need to use the alt codes to enter every single special character...am I correct? I had thought changing the paragraph style to Spanish would automatically place the special characters, but that didn't happen. I'm kind of curious what DOES changing the language in the paragraph style DO, exactly??

• 8. Re: Spanish
                        mizhicks Level 1

I figured if I put a question mark at the end of an English sentence that InDesign would recognize it as a question. Isn't that what a question mark usually means?

• 9. Re: Spanish

It changes:

1. Language
                          2. Spell checking
                          3. Hyphenation
                          4. Use of OTF features
                          • 10. Re: Spanish

¿But how should InDesign know where the sentence begins? ¡You have complete wrong expectation!