5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 2:55 PM by A.T. Romano

Import .dv Files Crashes

rubtub

Hi all, spent a couple hours working with Adobe chat on this, alas no resolution. They suggested resetting settings to default. Anybody else have a problem importing .dv files from a hard drive into Premiere Elements 13. I'm running on a Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7.

Premiere 13 doesn't have import from source for old analog tapes so I imported from tape to hard drive using an old version of iMovie. Then from hard drive to portable drive. I now have a couple hundred .dv files that I can't get into Premiere. Each file is about 2 gb in size.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Import .dv Files Crashes
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rubtub

Premiere Elements 13 on Mac....have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

Can we assume that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer and that you are running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges?

Are you able to take the .dv files into HandBrake and take them to the H.264.mp4 version which you then import into your Premiere Elements project?

https://handbrake.fr/

HandBrake is supposed to support batch conversion.

With my Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit, I cannot import a .dv file (720 x 480 4:3) into the project.

I have tried renaming the file extension from .dv to .mov, .mp4, or .avi....does not work. With all I get a non supported file message.

I can take the .dv file into HandBrake and convert to a H.264.mp4 file that will import into Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

I do not have it at hand, but I recall a recent case where the user could also not import files with the .dv file extension.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Import .dv Files Crashes
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would not recommend converting this file. A .dv file is the same thing as a DV-AVI or a DV-MOV, which should import perfectly and easily into Premiere Elements 13.

• 3. Re: Import .dv Files Crashes
              rubtub Level 1

thanks for the replies. I will try the handbrake approach tonight if another direct solution doesn't present itself. Steve, it should work, but unfortunately it has not yet.

• 4. Re: Import .dv Files Crashes
                A.T. Romano Level 7

rubtub

Although ".dv stream" is listed under Premiere Elements Import Support Formats in Adobe document, I have continuously found that a file with a .dv file extension will not import into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit. (Also, 12/12.1....)

Supported file formats

This is with QuickTime latest computer supported version installed on these computers.

A typical file that I am using is described

Video: Codec DV/DVC; Name DV(REC 61834); Status Codec Undetermined.

The container is described as Raw DV IEC 61834 (DV)

.dv are raw DV files, and you see a lot of online references about the non support of these files for Premiere Pro as well. Often the general suggestion is to convert them to .avi files.

ATR

• 5. Re: Import .dv Files Crashes
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rubtub

Just an Add On...

My .dv files have been importing into Premiere Elements after conversion to H.264.mp4 using HandBrake for the conversion. See previous details.

I just tried the conversion to H.264.mp4 using the VLC player as the converter. What I got with that was a splash of green video. So, I would not advise the VLC player for this type of conversion.

MPEG Streamclip has been mentioned if there is a need to go from .dv file to DV.AVI file which has no problems importing into Premiere Elements.

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Also see for MPEG Streamclip batch process toward bottom of article  http://samish.uwb.edu/it/howdoi/articles/mpegstreamclip

The .dv non support goes back as far as at least Premiere Elements 4. So, I am left with the conclusion that the Adobe document statement on .dv support is a misprint.

Just wondering out loud....

Since .dv is supposed to be raw dv data, I am wondering if that Adobe document statement is referring to the program accepting a DV data stream from a miniDV camera for capture firewire to the Premiere Elements Capture Window 12 or earlier and not support for import of a file with the .dv file extension using its Add Media/Files and Folders?

ATR

Add On after original post...information for MPEG Streamclip (in case needed).