16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2015 9:40 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe shuts down during exporting process

angelinebean27

Each time I am exporting video, right at 94% uploaded, adobe stops working and I have to shut down program! Anyone deal with this issue? Help please

• 1. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
          A.T. Romano Level 7

angelinebean27

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

The answers will be in the details.

1. What are the properties of your Timeline content?

2. What is the project preset that you or the project set to match the properties of the source media?

3. What is your export....export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc...DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

a. if export to file, then detail....settings

b. what is the duration and estimated file size if the export to file...what is the Space Required and Bitrate in the burn dialog if the burn to ?

4. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements and are you running the programs as administrator?

5. What is your computer's video card/graphics card and is its driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

6. Is there a specifically worded error message associated with the export failure?

7. Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

8. If export to file, what is the save location designated for the export, and how much hard drive space is there at that location?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
            angelinebean27 Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for your reply, I will be answering all the questions you asked and getting to the bottom of this. However, just now I tried to export my video to MPEG, and it worked, but that was when the media was offline, so none of my media showed up, but it exporting successfully. My question is since it did export, why would adding the media cause adobe to be shutting down. It shuts down when it's 94% uploaded

• 3. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
              vickip20322729

I have just tried to upload my video to You Tube and got the same exact result.  It said that the server has interrupted the transaction and cannot complete it at this time.  It asks me if I want to try it again and when I do, it immediately pops up again and will not load my video to the website.  When I try to save my video as a MPEG, it doesn't show correctly on my computer and I can't play it on my computer, but it loads to You Tube.  I did notice that I cannot load anything in HD format and You Tube is not letting me play the videos in HD at all.  This is the second problem I've had trying to load my videos with this program and it's getting really frustrating!

I use Premiere Elements 13.1 on Windows 10

• 4. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                A.T. Romano Level 7

angelinbean27

Thanks for the follow up.

When you import files into the project Edit area, all you get are copies of those original files which remain at the computer hard drive save location. But, those copies in the project need to trace back to those originals where they were when they were first imported into the project. When that connection is broken and when you open that project, you will get "Where is the file ____?" messages. If you do not make all the reconnects, a lot of colorful media offline messages result in the project when and if you can open it. The program will allow you to export that "media-project disconnected" Timeline content, but all you will see in the export are those colorful media offline messages.

So, first thing we need to do is to make sure that you see your images in the Edit area before you go to Publish+Share/.

1. Are you moving, deleting, renaming any of the files and folders that you imported into the project before the project save close?

2. Are the original files for the project saved on an external hard drive? If so, check to assure that the external hard drive is not malfunctioning? Also, make sure that the external hard drive's drive letter is not changing. If necessary, as a mini test run, move some files to Documents on the Local Disk C and import them into a new project. Then export that Timeline with your Publish+Share/ choice. Does that export succeed?

Please consider and then we can talk about this some more as your schedule permits. At that time, we may need to get more specific data on your project settings and properties of what you are putting on that Timeline.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

vickip

Add On to post 4

When you are uploading to YouTube using the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature, is your Timeline content that is being uploaded displaying with the colorful offline media messages?

When you uploaded your video to YouTube, please confirm the duration of the upload and if you are doing it

a. with Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature

or

b. Timeline export to file saved to the computer hard drive, followed by upload of that file from the computer hard drive to YouTube at the YouTube web site?

We will try to put together the information to determine if we can spot the process that is not working as it is supposed to.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                    vickip20322729 Level 1

I am trying to upload with the Premiere Elements built in You Tube feature. The video is a little over 9 minutes long.  I asked it to upload to You Tube with the 1920i HD feature.  It begins to continue and ask me to fill out all of the information is usually does and then begins with the rendering process which takes approximately 15 minutes or so.  Once it begins the the upload process, a box pops up within the program that says:

"Online services encountered an error:  The Service will not be terminated or paused if possible."

I click on "OK".

Another box pops up that says:

"An error has occurred transferring files.  Would you like to try again, stop the workflow and try again later, or terminate this service completely?"

When I click "Try Again"

Repeats the same process with error pop up boxes and never gets uploaded to You Tube.

I have saved the video to my computer with the MPEG file format and it hadn't worked previously, but now when I ask to save it using the reset:  HDTV 1080i High Quality, it takes about 10-15 minutes to render and then saves fine to my computer.  I am able to then load this on to You Tube with no errors.  But before the program would save it in another format for some reason and would not work with being compatible to my computer.  It would still load to You Tube, but it would be in poor quality and not run correctly. Not quite sure if this is a You Tube service error of some sorts?

P.S.  A few days ago, I experienced a problem within the program and it ended up freezing during a video editing and the computer wouldn't let me click on any part within the program.  I had to manually shut down my computer.  I lost all of the video editing that I had done and had to start over again with the video files.  I haven't experienced anything since then other than this uploading problem.

• 7. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

vickip

Thanks for the additional information.

Do you run the projects with the AutoSave feature On? If you do and if the project/program crashes, you can go to the Adobe Premiere Elements Auto Save folder and try to use one of the AutoSaves to be your project. Consider those AutoSaves as the project file automatically be saved as a separate file (prel) at various stages of the editing. Depending on how you have the feature set (Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave), you may have most of your project salvaged with the AutoSave file. The Premiere Elements AutoSave folder is found by default in your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows 10 in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Saving and backing up projects

If you upload your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site, then consider for that export Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Those YouTube rendering times seem rather long. Please detail what is on your Timeline that you are trying to upload to YouTube using the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature. When you are in the Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube section of the program and getting ready to start the upload process, what do you see there for the estimated file size and duration for the upload to be started?

Have you seen the following YouTube documents?

Recommended upload encoding settings (Advanced) - YouTube Help

Do you have the information on the Timeline content properties?  Information about the Brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video in your Timeline would be helpful at getting at some of that Timeline video audio properties information.

What formats are represented on that Timeline. What effects are applied?

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                        angelinebean27 Level 1

I ended up being so frustrated with the program and customer service (which is all in India) that I no longer will use the program! I don't have time spend countless  hours with customer service. No one online was able to help me, and quite frankly that's not good enough for me. I'm going to research better editing system. Good luck!!!

• 9. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

angelinebean27

Thanks for your post 8.

If your decision is final on your video editing decision, then read no further. If you want to revisit exclusively your Premiere Elements issues and work through them in detail  please read on.

I am not Adobe, rather user to user. And, we usually have success in troubleshooting through these Premiere Elements issues based on the answers are in the details. I see at least two major issues in that regard in this thread that you originated.

a. You never did get around to answering my questions in post 1 as you said you were going to in post 2. Instead you focused on another aspect of the matter

MPEG export...fine, but....

b. At the moment when we could have taken off on your details, vickip entered your thread with Premiere Elements problems which should have been put into a new vickip thread since problems with the same symptoms can (and often do) have different causes. In this particular case, two troubleshootings going on in the same thread did not complement one another to expedite matters.

Did you finally share the details of your issue with Adobe Chat? If so, how far did you get? How was your issue left? Is Adobe Chat waiting for follow up from you?

If you want to revisit your Premiere Elements issues here, we can start again with details and work through them to a successful conclusion. The remainder of the thread will be devoted to just your troubleshooting and others will be advised to create their own new thread.

Please review, consider, and then let us know your decision.

Best wishes with whatever you decision is.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                            vickip20322729 Level 1

Hi!

Not sure if I'm supposed to reply here or not, but I would perhaps like further assistance with my issue(s) if possible please?

Thank you for your reply and I've been trying to figure things out on my computer while I'm working with this program.  I don't think the problem is with uploading the video and I'm not sure entirely why it takes this long to render, I thought it was "normal" time because it has been this way since I got it. 

As for the "crashing" - yes, I do use autosave, but when it has been crashing lately, it completely "deletes" the files and even after shutting down the computer and trying to restart it, the file is "empty" when I try to resurrect it from the saved videos.

As doing further investigation of m computer, I found that my computer was telling me that I have very high CPU usage on this program and I think it eventually shuts down on it's own at a certain point.

So, I was worried and went in to delete all of the previous saved video files within the program thinking this would help, but it didn't matter.  Still did it. 

I decided to go into "task manager" on my computer and saw that I could change the "priority" of this task when open, so I put "high priority" for it.  In addition to this, I've created it's own "dump files" for this program.  I haven't went into the program to see if this works or not, but this is what I'm going to do to see if this works.

Also, I record anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour of "real time" video on my Smart Phone.  It records in HD format and I've never had a problem loading videos to the timeline at all.

In editing my video(s), I use lots of the "time remapping" feature to speed up the video as I need to speed up my video including doing lots of clipping on the videos to shorten the time on the videos.  Segments of the video are important to show, but doesn't need to be shown in "real time"...this is why I need to speed it up. 

In addition to this, I use photos with my video and several transitions within it.  When I have the video fully edited and ready, it's still about a 10-15 minute video when complete, which is what I try to aim for.

Thank you for any further help with this.  (I am responsible for doing "how to" videos for a team I'm on and so this is somewhat important to get figured out.)

• 11. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

vickip

Please stay where you are now in this thread, and I will try to help you with your Premiere Elements project from here.

I will read through all your posts, including the latest one, and reply again with comments within the next few hours.

To be continued

ATR

• 12. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

vickip

First, great job of troubleshooting and exploring the problem situation.

The following may hold the key to some or all of the issues. You wrote

Also, I record anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour of "real time" video on my Smart Phone.  It records in HD format and I've never had a problem loading videos to the timeline at all.

Smart Phone as the source of the video may be the deciding factor. Cell phone, iPod, iPad, and some other devices record with a variable rather than a constant frame rate. Classically, Premiere Elements does not work well with the video with variable frames rate. The symptoms can range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video into the project at all. The remedy for this type of video is to take it into the free HandBrake software to obtain the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version. Then you take this H264.mp4 file into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/.

https://handbrake.fr/

You can go ahead and try that in a mini test run to see if that improves your situation. Or, you could look for more confirmation that you are dealing with a variable frame rate. To do that, you would download and install the free MediaInfo program, and, using its Tree View, look for the listing of 3 frame rates in the video properties. The finding of 3 frame rates in the video properties spells variable frame rate. Then use HandBraketo get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Also, in using the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature, be careful not to get too close to the limits for the feature (2.2 GB/15 minutes).

You could consider the export of the Timeline to a AVCHD.mp4 file (with properties consistent with the TImeline content properties). And, then upload that AVCHD.mp4 file to YouTube at the YouTube web site with an extended time account that you apply for there. YouTube extended time accounts do not work in the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature. Use Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets =  an appropriate MP4 preset.

Please let us know if any of the above gets you closer to your video project goal.

Please ask if any questions or need clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                                  vickip20322729 Level 1

Thank you ATR,

it is indeed exactly what you said it was.  I downloaded and tested the video file and it has a variable frame rate.  So I have downloaded and encoded the files to run at a constant frame rate and hopefully this will help.  More involved with videos than what I thought there was! LOL!

To be honest, I don't really think any of this was even a problem.  I just recently been experiencing problems and I had edited at least 10 videos previously with no problems.  (I also knew about the You Tube time limit for videos and I am able to run extended time length on my account, but I just ended up saving the video file to my computer from the program to download to You Tube and it's perfectly fine.  This is why I try to edit the videos down to about 10-15 minutes as well.)  But again, I had no previous problems with this program and I have been so impressed with the quality and ease that this program has been doing for my "phone videos"! LOL!  I would certainly like to stick with it!  I'm very inexperienced with doing all of this, but I'd like to learn more to get better and faster at doing it.

I think MY issue is more of a computer issue than anything else.  Even when I was using the "handbrake" program on my computer, I was getting high CPU again...which I believe was the cause of the Premiere Elements freezing and me having to restart my computer!  I am still investigating that issue as to weather I need more RAM when handling these videos or if there is a virus culprit or what.  Not sure you can or are allowed to help me with computer issues, but I think that's probably where I'm at with it right now!  So even with the program freezing and me having to shut down my computer to restart it, it does NOT save any of the editing that I've done on my videos and I've had to completely start all over again with the process.  (And yes, I do use auto-save that saves my editing every 5-10 minutes or so.) I think this high CPU is the main factor of this problem.

If you have any further advise, that would be welcome. I do love this program as I have tried several other "trial" versions of video editing programs, but I have always come back to this one.  I love the simple format and how precise each frame is so that I am able to cut out unwanted clips and speed it up.  I also like the large view of the video preview area...makes it so much easier for me to narrate everything as it's playing.  If you also have any suggestions about better equipment for me to use, I'd love to hear any advice for that as well.  I plan to make many more videos, so any would help.  Currently, I use an android phone and use a stable "make-shift" dock to keep the phone recording while using my hands to tape what I'm doing.  I stop at certain portions and sometimes end up with about 8-10 different videos with approximately 5-10 minutes for each segment that I need to combine to make 1 single video.  I tend to edit out sometimes several minutes where some clips are even as short as 5 seconds long. I speed up the process as it's not always necessary to show in "real time"...which also enables me to cut down the total video length obviously.  I also use title pages, additional photos at the beginning and end as well as in between some clips.  I also add several transitions between segments and clips as well to show a "change in time".  I know that I am adding lots to each video, but the program does an excellent job with it and like I said, I have done about 10 videos previously and had not any problems with it...they all looked great until recently with this high CPU warning on my computer and now it freezes up the program.

Thank you for any advice or help with any of this!

• 14. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

vickip

Thanks for the follow ups. More comments coming soon, but for now just a quick question related to what you just wrote

....... I downloaded and tested the video file and it has a variable frame rate.  So I have downloaded and encoded the files to run at a constant frame rate and hopefully this will help.

For this particular video, specifically did HandBrake's H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate allow you to import, edit, export that Timeline H.264.mp4 content to a usable file? Or, all same as before?

To be continued...

ATR

• 15. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                                      vickip20322729 Level 1

ATR,

There has been some sort of registry error with both of my Premiere Elements as well as my Photoshop.  I have been working on trying to get my computer straightened out to deal with these errors.(Not sure, but I had to get into my computer to find the error to try and restore health for it.  I may or may not have fixed it.)  It wasn't the program I don't think because no matter what I opened, including the Internet, it was giving the same problem.)  This could have been the reason for the high CPU, but I think it has always given me this problem here and there...especially when dealing with the videos.  I don't think it's the program, it's the fact that my computer probably is not equipped to handle all of the media content.  Although I don't feel it's necessary for me to have a "work station" type of environment, I do realize that I will need to "beef" up my computer a bit. The computer I have now is about 4 years old.  I just started editing videos on this computer about 6 months ago and not very often...probably about 1 time a month.  I recently started doing more videos...probably anywhere from 1 a week to every other week with the possibility of doing them more often.  My computer is an Intel Core i5-3230M CPU@260RHz with RAM 8.00GB (7.88 GB usable) on a 64-bit OS with Windows 10 using Premiere Elements and Photoshop Bundle 13.1.  I don't think my CPU is quite getting it done and need a better "boost of speed" to run media content.  I have been looking into the Dell computer towers and have the choice to get the Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements added on when I get it.  Plus, I'm looking at an Intel Core i7 with CPU@4.0 GHz with a 2T Hard drive...with room for more.  I'm thinking this will really help me out for better speed and memory that I will need to be using in the future.  But for right now, I'm going to try and deal with what I've got so that I can finish my jobs.

I do hope that I have fixed these registry errors.  I noticed that my computer immediately started doing a degrag when I believed that I had fixed the problem...so maybe this will help.  I've cleaned up my registry and hope that it will not freeze up the program while I'm trying to work on it.  It seems it's so far so good right now.  I'm in the middle of editing and will let you know how it goes once I've got it finished up.  It took me quite a while to figure out what was wrong with my computer, so I haven't really had the chance to get into the program to edit until this morning, but it's looking good so far!  Fingers crossed!  Any comments or suggestions you have about any equipment, cameras, etc would still be helpful.  Thank you!

• 16. Re: Adobe shuts down during exporting process
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

vickip

Thanks for the update. Sounds like great follow through. We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

At this time, I would just comment....be sure to get installation files or installation disc and most importantly serial number for any pre-installed Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements on new computer.  Otherwise you find yourself in a no win situation with Adobe and the computer manufacturer when and if you have to do an uninstall/reinstall of the programs for troubleshooting purposes.

Best wishes

ATR