10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 1:52 PM by rob day

Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?

kevinneal01 Level 1

I'm trying to see if there is a way I can automatically get InDesign to put some kind of watermark over images if they have been placed from a certain location.

For instance we have a folder called "Raw Images" where we place images before they have been approved, so I would like some kind of visual marker when these images are placed so that it is very clear which are approved images and which are still waiting for approval, does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I can't think of any way to do this automatically. The watermark would need to be a separate object, or applied to the image. You could define an object style with a colored stroke to make it stand out, perhaps, but it would have to be applied manually, and removed manually as well, leaving lots of room for user error. Might be better to make a non-printing FPO tag you could drag in from a library. Still room for error, but maybe not as much.

• 2. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?
            Danny Whitehead. Level 4

You could try setting a Live Caption for each image, using the metadata 'Folder 0', in a text box in front of each image, with the text set to be transparent.

• 3. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?
              kevinneal01 Level 1

Thanks for the ideas, but it really needs to be something automated to help remind the designers that an image may not be approved, as often several designers may work on a job they may not always know the status of all images so I was hoping an automated visual system could help.

I wonder if it could be done as part of the preflight settings so it flags up images as warnings in a certain location?

• 4. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for the ideas, but it really needs to be something automated

It could be done via scripting. There is a scripting event that gets triggered after placing a file so a startup script could listen for that event and place a text field over the image if it is linked to the folder. What OS are you using?

• 5. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Captions route may not be a bad option

In the paragraph styles I provide in the linked files

Change the Caption paragraph style and in the Grep Style insert the folder name for Raw Images, and the folder name for Approved Images.

When placing images - ensure that Create Static Caption is ticked.

The cursor is then loaded with 2 items, the image and it's caption - the caption can then be overlayed on time of placing the image to ensure that the designer knows that it's red or green.

You can also create static captions for other items on the page.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17210757/Untitled-3%20Folder.zip

• 6. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?
                    Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah - the snag - how to remove them?

Something I wish Captions would allow - the use of an object style... that way it could be set to non-printing...

Perhaps if green the user could remove at the time - if red it stay until an approved version is there.

Always room for error when something is set to print on an image though - I'd thread lightly with any option that could end up in the final printed version.

Although - you could do a Find/Change for the Caption style and replace it with nothing at the end.

• 7. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?
                      kevinneal01 Level 1

We're on Mac (latest version) thanks

• 8. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?
                        kevinneal01 Level 1

Thanks I'll try your suggestion out

• 9. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?

This is a startup AppleScript that will listen for a place, and then check the link's folder, and if it's a match to the folder name in the first line, a label is placed over the image. The script creates a layer, paragraph style, and color for the label, so it's just a matter of deleting the label layer when you don't want the watermark anymore.

You have to replace " MyFolderName" with the name of your FPO folder and then compile the script in Script Editor. You put the compiled script in your startup scripts folder (/Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2014/Scripts/startup scripts) and restart ID. As long as the script is in startup the listener will listen for the place event. If you are not familiar with scripting i can post a compiled version.

I haven't tested much so let me know if you get any errors

---------------------------------------------

global fpoFolder

--the folder name

set fpoFolder to "MyFolderName"

global fpoLabel

--the label text

set fpoLabel to "FPO"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

make event listener with properties {event type:"afterPlace", handler:getLink}

end tell

--check if placed image is in the FPO folder

on getLink()

set f to file path of item link of item 1 of all graphics of selection as alias

tell application "Finder"

set n to name of container of f

end tell

if n is equal to fpoFolder then

my makeLabel()

end if

end tell

end getLink

--Make a label

on makeLabel()

tell active document

set {a, b, c, d} to geometric bounds of selection

--the label color

try

set myLabelColor to color "LabelColor"

on error

set myLabelColor to make new color with properties {model:process, space:RGB, color value:{0.0, 255.0, 0.0}, name:"LabelColor"}

end try

--the label style

try

make new paragraph style with properties {name:"Labels", applied font:"Myriad Pro    Bold", point size:45, fill color:myLabelColor, justification:center align}

set myLabelStyle to paragraph style "Labels"

on error

set myLabelStyle to paragraph style "Labels"

end try

--the label layer

try

set myLabelLayer to layer "Labels"

on error

set myLabelLayer to make layer with properties {name:"Labels"}

end try

--the label text frame

set myTextFrame to make text frame with properties {geometric bounds:{a, b, c, d}, item layer:myLabelLayer}

tell myTextFrame

set applied paragraph style of text 1 to myLabelStyle

set contents of text 1 to fpoLabel

set vertical justification of text frame preferences to center align

end tell

end tell

end tell

end makeLabel

• 10. Re: Any way to watermark a placed image based on the file location?

It's working when I place into a selected frame but not when I choose place with no selection. I'll see if there's a fix when I get a chance.