11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 2:38 PM by kangas

random page size in pdf

kangas

I have a big problem and I've spent 2 hours trying to troubleshoot it through various suggestions I've found on the web and the adobe site.

In InDesign CC 2015 I have a 180 page book whose settings are 8.625" by 11.25(since that's what Amazon requested for an 8.5X11 book). When I export it to a pdf the pages are all different random sizes. No rhyme or reason. Many of the pages are the correct size, but for instance page two is 7.367X10.062 and page three is 7.185X10.48 while page four is 7.694X10.453. Page five is correct at 8.625 but then page six is 8.564X11.25

I have tried Export Pdf(using multiple versions), Print File(to create a pdf and I specified page size of 8.625X11), and I get the same file every time no matter what.

When looking at the pages in InDesign it says they're all the same A Master page, so I'm not sure why they'd be different. When I use the Page Tool to look at the page dimension in InDesign the offending pages all say they are 8.625X11.25 so why won't they export at that size?

The only other clue is that all of the odd-sized pages seem to have a transparent background when I look at them in photoshop--no white background at all.

Pretty frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: random page size in pdf
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try this: Create a new file the correct size with only 1 page and the same margin and column settings. Copy any master objects from Master A in the original file and paste in place on Master A in the new file. Import the styles from the current document (from the flyout menu n the paragraph Styles panel). Select all the pages from the original file in the Pages panel and use the Move Pages command to move them to the new file before Page 1 and delete the blank last page that was the original page one.

• 2. Re: random page size in pdf
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

1. If you have once applied a different page size with the page tool active, the page size will not change later if you change it in document setup. I suppose you have done it.

2. If you want a book with 8.5 × 11 inch  final size you have to set it up as 8.5 × 11 inch, the additional size must be added via bleed, not with a changed page size.

• 3. Re: random page size in pdf
              kangas Level 1

Man I was hopeful that would work, but it didn't. Got the same exact results(right down to the sizes of the pages, so I guess it's not random-it's picking those sizes for some reason...). Why, I have no idea...thanks for the attempt!

And yes, when I originally started this it was a 6X9 and I later changed the book size to 8.5X11. That seems weird that you can't just resize your doc like you can in every other Adobe program(I just figured it was the equivalent of resampling in Photoshop)...what's my choice then? (and why doesn't the page tool show that page to be something different when I click on it individually--?)

I had a graphic designer tell me he would have designed the whole book in Photoshop, and I'm starting to see why.

• 4. Re: random page size in pdf
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kangas wrote:

I had a graphic designer tell me he would have designed the whole book in Photoshop, and I'm starting to see why.

Okay well, that's just silliness. Maybe this is too, but I believe your problem is the Page tool. Don't use it. Don't touch it. Set a paper size in the New Document dialog and don't change it. If you do that, you'll never have this page size problem you're having. This is what Peter's recommendation in post #1 was getting at...without saying it outright. Changing the page size in InDesign is nothing like changing the canvas size in Photoshop. In fact, the 2 applications have almost nothing in parallel...and shouldn't. They are different tools for different purposes. Don't compare them...or more specifically...don't draw conclusions based on a comparison.

• 5. Re: random page size in pdf
                  kangas Level 1

Yes, I understand now that apparenty changing the document size originally was what's causing this(but it seems insane that there's a program that doesn't allow you to change the size of your project after you start)--and I never actually do use the Page tool. I only used it recently to examine the individual page sizes to see if they were wonky(they weren't according to the Page tool).

So since Move Pages didn't work, what are the chances of success on me starting a new document and individually copying/pasting pages from the old to the new? I guess I could find out quick by just trying it with like 5 pages...will do that.

• 6. Re: random page size in pdf
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, that leaves a less attractive option. Make a new file, as before. In the original file, put the text cursor in each story you need to move (but don't select any text) and then File > Export... and choose InDesign Tagged Text from the drop down for  the type. Place the tagged text in the new file using File > Place...

• 7. Re: random page size in pdf
                      kangas Level 1

When you say each story do you mean each page? I don't know what you mean by that.

I just tried selecting all the items on the page and copying and pasting the items to the new document--I still get the same result on those pages. Why would it copy the wrong page size when I've just selected the individual elements(text/pictures)?

I will try your In Design tagged but I'm just not sure what you mean by each story I need to move. Thanks!

• 8. Re: random page size in pdf

A story is threaded text. Go with the text tool into text and select all, you see the whole story of that text.

You could also use the Content Tools to pick up all content in the old document and place it in the new document.

• 9. Re: random page size in pdf

kangas schrieb:

Yes, I understand now that apparenty changing the document size originally was what's causing this(but it seems insane that there's a program that doesn't allow you to change the size of your project after you start)--and I never actually do use the Page tool. I only used it recently to examine the individual page sizes to see if they were wonky(they weren't according to the Page tool).

InDesign let you change the size of the pages at any point in time later via File > Document Set up… But in your case each page was overridden by using the page tool which is stoping the link to the global page dimensions. Not an InDesign error, it is a user failure.

• 10. Re: random page size in pdf
                            kangas Level 1

Just as an addendum I took that new doc I created, deleted all the items on that wrong-size page, then exported a pdf with that page blank to see if it would STILL be wrong.

It's the correct size now as long as it's blank, so it's definitely something that's getting copied when I choose items. I'm just really confused as to why it would copy page dimensions when I'm just choosing individual items. (I also went ahead and copied individual elements to see if it was just the picture or the text that's doing it--no matter what element I chose, the page goes out of size if I have any element from the other document pasted onto that blank page)

• 11. Re: random page size in pdf
                              kangas Level 1

Yeah but I didn't use the Page Tool to resize any pages. I used the Document Setup to change the page size, so I'm sure it is user error but it's not in the way you're saying. I mean, I said it in that post that I DIDN'T use the page tool--I actually wasn't even aware of that button until I was troubleshooting the problem.